1 2 3 4
irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
2/9/13 10:43 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: RE92 all seasons...They always seem to suck for a long time.

quoted for extreme truth!

though to call them "all seasons" is generous. More like "all seasons except the seasons that have rain, slush, or snow."

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
2/10/13 12:10 a.m.

I destroyed a pair of Blizzacks in one day of rallycrossing, then switched to a set of big lug cheap Canadian tire specials for the next 2 seasons, and they're still useable. Ditch the ice tires.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
2/10/13 10:03 a.m.

If you are looking for a budget friendly off road type treat, check out these guys

retreaded tires they are really cheap and tough, with many different tread patterns, don't know if they have your size though

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/10/13 10:25 a.m.

If it's that abrasive, use autocross tires.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
2/10/13 12:04 p.m.

I just finished my first season last year on snow tires (Blizzak's) without issue, although both locations were predominately dirt/mud. I kept searching the rally forums because I had heard from the other guys that they tend to sell used tires cheap, no good for rally but good enough for us guys.

At the end of the season I had two different guys just GIVE me their used rally tires, and can't wait for this coming season. If they hadn't I probably would have ponied up the $$ for Dmack (who's catalog is hanging on my bulletin board next to me right now) because ~$800 was worth it to me for "real" tires. Especially because I can use cheaper 14" wheels.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
2/10/13 12:09 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: Also, this may come as a surprise, but rwd cars CAN still understeer.

No kidding, my MR2 plowed through so many 180 turns. But I'm learning...

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
2/11/13 3:18 p.m.

Keep an eye for used tires, then grab a tire groover and knob them up a bit more.

I organized a group buy for used gravels from an old rally team. A pallet of gravel tires is quite the sight. Also because I organized the group buy I got 1st set of tire choice and at no cost to me! just my time...

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/11/13 4:51 p.m.

for the venues where it's a clay-ish track, I wonder if Hoosier dirt track tires, in the hardest compound they make, would work? I'm thinking the chain-link tread pattern (looks spot-on like the Dunlops they ran in F1 back in the '60s, or the bottom of a Piloti shoe) would work decently well, or if it's hard packed enough and you could get them small/narrow enough, sprint car rears? (the ones that look like a slick that's been grooved in a vaguely checkerboard pattern)

Knurled
2/11/13 7:34 p.m.

Soft. For performance rubber, you want the softest rubber you can get, since the runs are generally so short that they don't have time to warm up.

Winter tire rubber generally starts to fade off when ground temps get over 60-70F, so in a sense it is several notches "softer" than race rubber, temperature wise.

As a kind of heads up, soft race rubber will glass over at 35-40F. It's not the compound that is soft so much as the temperature range.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
2/12/13 8:40 a.m.

Used rally tires.

I have 3 sets at home. My total cost $0.

I volunteer at rallies and have had sets given to me by teams because they know that I bust my hump so they can race.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
2/12/13 8:48 a.m.
Knurled wrote: Soft. For performance rubber, you want the softest rubber you can get, since the runs are generally so short that they don't have time to warm up.

Yeah that works well up here in Michigan but that doesn't work well in the Florida heat, they warm up...

Knurled
2/12/13 12:18 p.m.

It depends.

A too hard compound can also give you problems. Some of the worst rally-tire wear I ever experienced was when I ran them in January. Demolished the rear tires, the ground just cheesegratered them.

rm_autosports
rm_autosports New Reader
1/9/14 1:03 a.m.

We are getting a lot of good feedback on Black Rocket tires. They are very affordable with prices ranging from $145 to $160.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/9/14 6:29 a.m.

i came to echo the suggestion of general AT2's if the OP is still looking (a year later). the new general RT43 also looks like it could be a decent option. Hakka G2's and GW3's would be great, but they don't come cheap.

I'd focus on finding something with a stiller sidewall, all-season like tread (to reduce wear and chucking) but that has snow siping within the tread pattern for added bite and grip in the loose stuff. Everything about selecting a rallycross tire is a compromise.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
1/9/14 9:51 a.m.

When I was shopping for snows, for daily snow use, I came across a (recently released?) goodyear that looks to me like a typical RMA winter stamped AT all season truck tire with one side reversed to make it directional. Might look at those. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Ultra+Grip+Winter&partnum=165TR7UGW

series8217
series8217 New Reader
1/10/14 12:38 a.m.

Can you fit a 27" tire? Does your class allow moving up to a 16" wheel? Try the General Grabber AT2 215/65/16. I won the Stock AWD regional championship on these tires.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
1/10/14 8:53 a.m.

BFGoodrich Traction T/A looks like a tire that would work. Fairly open tread blocks.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
1/10/14 9:01 a.m.

If it holds air, I'll run it.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/10/14 12:26 p.m.
NGTD wrote: BFGoodrich Traction T/A looks like a tire that would work. Fairly open tread blocks.

Tried them on a 100hp Golf, they suck.

Hntsvl_E30
Hntsvl_E30 New Reader
1/11/14 10:18 a.m.

Cooper Weathermaster ST's in a 215/60/15 have a higher service rating than most (94), and a great open tread pattern with M&S rating. I did 6 events on the Coopers and there is no discernible wear on them.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/19/14 4:19 p.m.

Scratch the idea of the rt43, they are smooth and quiet, but the sideways is way too soft for anything remotely close to motorsports and the Xb noteably has a lot more understeer with them when compared to even worn mumbo platinum lxs'

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/19/14 6:03 p.m.

I'm also looking at small truck tires to run for Rallycross when it is soft.

At our venue, when it is hard you can squeal the tires in the turns.

Storz
Storz Dork
1/20/14 6:37 a.m.

Contact Paul at Team Illuminata Motorsports, he used to sell used rally tires at great prices, been a few years since I bought my set but he may still be doing it. Pretty sure he is a member here as well...

edit http://teamilluminata.com/Shop/UsedTires.htm

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
1/20/14 8:44 a.m.

You're problem is your location. Florida is too warm for winter tires they would overheat very quickly for you I imagine, they are often too soft and im sure finding used ones on craigslist on the cheap (or at all) is pretty difficult.

If you can go spectate any regional rally try and buy the used rally tires off of the well funded teams.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/1/16 5:13 p.m.
White_and_Nerdy wrote: My Firestone Winterforce tires showed no significant wear after the rallycrosses I did on each set of them (one in the Miata, one in the P71 - different sets and sizes, obviously). I didn't Bob Costasfoot around, either - I won my class each time. That particular model seems popular for rallycross use. It is, as Fueled by Caffeine suggested, a studdable snow tire, not an ice tire. edit: Wow. "Bob Costasfoot." That's hilarious.

So are these still a decent gravel choice? I'm buying them for winter for the p71 but if they can handle 4 or 5 trips to the gravel course in Frostburg it will be a great money saver

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dKSezBrCmCka39czbC8kWhLjbXkG7nFUfw87o2OZA9MqhTyi8XoCTgJs9rVw1GXp