1 2 3 4
jarrettp
jarrettp New Reader
11/1/16 6:35 p.m.

General Grabber AT2 comes in 205/75-15. I think it also comes in 27x8.5-14 and there may be a few other AT/MT tires that come in that goofy 14" size.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
11/1/16 7:35 p.m.
RevRico wrote:
White_and_Nerdy wrote: My Firestone Winterforce tires showed no significant wear after the rallycrosses I did on each set of them (one in the Miata, one in the P71 - different sets and sizes, obviously). I didn't Bob Costasfoot around, either - I won my class each time. That particular model seems popular for rallycross use. It is, as Fueled by Caffeine suggested, a studdable snow tire, not an ice tire. edit: Wow. "Bob Costasfoot." That's hilarious.
So are these still a decent gravel choice? I'm buying them for winter for the p71 but if they can handle 4 or 5 trips to the gravel course in Frostburg it will be a great money saver

At frostburg, it'll depend on temperature. Mid-summer even rally tires get pretty worn on that stuff when it's hot. On a heavy RWD car you'll wear down any snow tire pretty quick. That said, I'm guessing we'll ahve more events at the Rally Farm (grass/dirt) than in Frostburg going forward. Just a guess though.

BTW< if you go winter tires, get Altimax Arctic over the WInterforces. I've used both....grip is similar, but the Altimaxes have a stiffer sidewall and better steering response, especially on the street. Only a couple bucks more per tire. Winterforces on paved roads feel like steering with flat tires lol.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
11/1/16 8:47 p.m.

This reminds me that I found a source of car sized retread truck tires recently, and cheap.

www.tirerecappers.com

This is a LT195/75R14

These come in LT195/75R14 and P205/65R15, and also a "non highway service" 205/75D14

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/1/16 8:51 p.m.

The altimax were my first choice, it was remembering driving a miata in the snow that pushed me to the winterforces. Because obviously a car that is quite literally half the size is a good judge. I usually just run cheap winter tread recaps, but for an extra $30/corner, real, new winters doesn't sound like a bad idea.

That's a little sad from my end. Frostburg is only 1.5 hours away from me, and within free tow range of AAA, the rally farm is a bit further, requiring an overnight and risking an expensive tow.

I'll be keeping an eye on DCSCCA's website since I don't use faceplace though just to stay on the safe side.

I was actually considering recaps for rallyx until I started hearing about how the surface chews up everything that runs on it.

I'm really tempted to start calling all the farmers with big empty fields that aren't planting anything to see about making rally-x available in western pa/eastern ohio, but I wouldn't know where to start.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
11/1/16 9:03 p.m.

where are you located?

Keep in mind, for Frostburg events, the great majority of us are driving 3+ hours to get there! I drive about 2.5 hours to Frostburg in my stripped out, caged rally car with no radio and no A/C, pulling a little tire trailer, lol.

Also, unlike Frostburg, the rally farm is owned by rally drivers, and not far from where many of us live....so if you have a breakdown or something, there are plenty of tools and stuff on-site or nearby. Hell, they have a big high-bay garage there. Plus it would be no problem to just leave the car there and come get it later if you needed to, likely. Camping is also allowed there, or there are cheap hotels not too far away.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
11/1/16 9:04 p.m.

btw, another cheap option if you look at demontweeks are the Maxsport tires. They're basically re-cap rally tires with good tread selections and are like $75-80 each IIRC...So even shipped from the UK you'd be looking at maybe $500 for a set. Andy Thomas used them this season and had good things to say about them (and he's one of the fastest drivers out there).

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/16 9:15 p.m.

I can sort of understand, but don't agree with, the idea of buying a small LT tire for rallycross as a means of saving money.

They aren't any cheaper than bottom-range rally tires (plug: Black Rockets are awesome tires for the money) and LT tires suck at being road tires and they suck at being competition tires. So you would be paying a lot of money for the privilege of having tires that aren't good for anything you want them to do. That isn't saving money, that is wasting money.

RevRico
11/1/16 9:16 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

I'm an hour east of Pittsburgh, putting me in a weird spot for pretty much anything. I've heard rumbles before about how far away Frostburg is from where people in the DC region actually live, so I sort of assumed the time there was limited.

We have a similar issue here with Steel Cities region. Being in the county I am, it's considered Steel Cities region for SCCA, which runs at Pitt Race. Almost 3 hours each way from where I live with mild traffic, which has scared a lot of people away from joining up(hell, I still haven't been there). Meanwhile, 30 minutes away from here is the region I joined that has minimal web presence and is particularly difficult to find, but obviously super local.

4 hours to the Rally Farm according to maps. Camping out wouldn't be too bad, I'm just leery with 230k miles on the clock to be driving so aggressively so far from home.

Knurled
11/1/16 9:19 p.m.
RevRico wrote: I'm just leery with 230k miles on the clock to be driving so aggressively so far from home.

My Volvo has 232 and I drove it to Nationals this year. (Okay so it had 229k when I left home). The RX-7 has... a lot, way more than 230. My Quantum was last rallycrossed at something like 350k, and most of its events were 5-6 hours away since it only really ever played at winter events which are really far north of me.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
11/1/16 9:20 p.m.

Have you looked into the Ohio Valley region? That may actually be reasonably close to you as well - IIRC it's only 2 hours from Frostburg where they usually run. I think we'll keep running at Frostburg (especially in the summer months when it's much cooler there than here in NoVa)....but boy is it brutally cold up on that mountain in the March and November/December events lol...

Yeah, rallycross is always a hike for everyone. Most of our Baltimore guys who used to come when we ran at Summit cut out when Frostburg became 4-5 hours for them. Guess it's all about how comfortable your car is to drive a long way....my absolute max is about 3 hours sitting in fixed race seats lol...

parker
parker Reader
11/1/16 9:28 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
RevRico wrote: I'm just leery with 230k miles on the clock to be driving so aggressively so far from home.
My Volvo has 232 and I drove it to Nationals this year. (Okay so it had 229k when I left home). The RX-7 has... a lot, way more than 230. My Quantum was last rallycrossed at something like 350k, and most of its events were 5-6 hours away since it only really ever played at winter events which are really far north of me.

I won the stock front wheel drive class at the 2007 Rallycross National Championship with 390,000+ on the odometer. 12 hour drive from home.

Knurled
11/1/16 9:29 p.m.

OVR runs in southwest Ohio now. National Trails is no longer available to us.

RevRico
11/1/16 9:30 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

The only ones I really knew about "local" were Detroit and DC regions. I'll have to do some Ohio research. Especially since noticing how many guys took the trip to nationals from Ohio, it makes sense there would be something there.

I don't mind the ride so much, I'll be driving this car to Gainesville next fall barring anything major happening to it between now and then. I just have this plan that if something happened on that ride before, during, or after the challenge, I'd scrap it or give it to someone local and Greyhound it home. I over think and worry to much when it comes to these things, but I'm also still getting this car sorted. Seems like every suspension piece I replace leads to another needing repaired, but I also haven't put 1000 miles on it yet so it's still "new" to me and therefore paranoia inducing.

My Miata, on the other hand, has a 3 hour limit. I've done 8 straight behind the wheel in it before, and NO. I cap it at 3 hours before at least an hour of resting and walking.

Matt Huffman
Matt Huffman New Reader
8/2/18 12:22 p.m.

Reviving this thread from the dead. 

The WDCR SCCA Rallycross conditions range from mud to dirt to hard packed clay.  Any recommendations on width for this variety of conditions?  i figure narrow is better for mud, but wide is better for clay?

FWD, 2600#, 130HP.  Could run anything from 175s to 205s on stock wheel options.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/18 12:32 p.m.

In reply to Matt Huffman :

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
8/2/18 3:36 p.m.
Matt Huffman said:

The WDCR SCCA Rallycross conditions range from mud to dirt to hard packed clay.  Any recommendations on width for this variety of conditions?  i figure narrow is better for mud, but wide is better for clay?

FWD, 2600#, 130HP.  Could run anything from 175s to 205s on stock wheel options.

narrower is almost always better ,regardless of condition. My car has two MR class championships in DC running on 175 and 185 Dmack gravels (and it's also proably around 2500# and 130hp. Narrower also weighs less, which is better for low-power cars. Rally tires are already heavy enough without going to larger sizes.

From that weight, I'm guessing you're not running the Miata any more?

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
8/2/18 8:20 p.m.

If you're short on power, definitely don't go too wide.  The weight is bad.  If you've got enough power to get wheelspin on demand at any point on the course, regardless of speed, then you might be able to use more tire. 

Matt Huffman
Matt Huffman New Reader
8/7/18 12:48 p.m.
irish44j said:
Matt Huffman said:

narrower is almost always better ,regardless of condition. My car has two MR class championships in DC running on 175 and 185 Dmack gravels (and it's also proably around 2500# and 130hp. Narrower also weighs less, which is better for low-power cars. Rally tires are already heavy enough without going to larger sizes.

Yes I'm getting a roomy 4 door with air conditioner!!

FooBag
FooBag GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/7/18 3:16 p.m.
Matt Huffman said:
irish44j said:
Matt Huffman said:

Yes I'm getting a roomy 4 door with air conditioner!!

Are you in stock class or dipping into the rally tire pool?  There's honestly no great for all those conditions tire, but I agree that narrow is the best compromise across them all.  I'd consider two sets of tires; a mud specific one and another for the dry conditions.

Matt Huffman
Matt Huffman New Reader
8/9/18 11:06 a.m.

Are all-seasons faster than snows or rallys on hard pack / clay?  That's an easy choice, drive to the events on good all-seasons, swap to snows if it's loose (most of the time)

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
8/9/18 12:20 p.m.
Matt Huffman said:

Are all-seasons faster than snows or rallys on hard pack / clay?  That's an easy choice, drive to the events on good all-seasons, swap to snows if it's loose (most of the time)

They can be, and summers can sometimes be even faster depending on the surface.  When I run the Jeep, if it's winter, I just run on the snows (235 width) no matter what.  For warm weather events, I drive it there on my summers (255s) and bring a set of grooved mud tires (225s) to swap on depending on what the course looks like.  

dps214
dps214 New Reader
8/10/18 8:13 a.m.

The last detroit event the course was 90% super hard packed dirt oval (it had some rubber buildup on it before we even started). We were a little surprised to see at least one car on 200TW tires. And quite a few didn't even bring snow tires with them. The results seemed like a mixed bag though. Probably partially because the other 10% of the course was incredibly loose dirt. The one guy on 200TW tires was a fwd car and he switched to snows between the test and tune and actual event which he said was a mistake, and he was definitely fast in the TnT. On the other hand, the fastest overall time of the event was a Mod Rear car running on some form of rally tires. Our snow tires were good enough to win the class but we weren't exactly overwhelmed by their performance.

FIYAPOWA
FIYAPOWA Reader
8/10/18 9:18 a.m.

In reply to irish44j :

Narrower is better, but say on a Mustang with 300+ rwhp, does that still apply?  The widest rally tire I'm seeing is about 215 ish.  So would that be 215s on all 4 corners, or should I be narrower on non-drive tires?  It is a bit nose-heavy, methinks.  Thoughts?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/10/18 9:25 a.m.

In reply to dps214 :

I'm definitely a fan of summer tires at I96. Last time I was there I placed 2nd in SA (behind Jon Trudeau when he had the WRX) in my 2.5rs on Direzza DZ102s. The same event someone won MR in my Miata on corded Sumitomo 175/13s. 

Matt Huffman
Matt Huffman New Reader
8/14/18 6:34 a.m.

Choose your favorite tread design!  All are affordable, 175-185 width 14".

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PseThNWPyHvnhpK9DbgKXexqDWDuTSxubHHXn2qzt06yDhEBvWzkhENtmmv7GGAB