1 ... 4 5 6
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
3/19/23 2:15 p.m.

So I've been bored with window shopping and noticing a lot of tiptronic 996's available. I hear both the 1st/2nd versions of the tiptronic were generally reliable (although the 1st one needed some TCU update as a TSB) but how are they as performers? Good enough for daily/fun duty or a disappointment?

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
3/19/23 3:27 p.m.

I'm sure they're great if you live somewhere with a ton of traffic.  Otherwise, for me, they'd be a hard pass.

3/19/23 6:18 p.m.
docwyte said:

I'm sure they're great if you live somewhere with a ton of traffic.  Otherwise, for me, they'd be a hard pass.

I'm in the NJ area, so absolutely a ton of traffic. I never thought I'd even consider one until I've been seeing some clean/great examples that are basically everything I want...except tiptronic.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/13/23 8:20 a.m.
preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/13/23 4:09 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

Well, E36 M3, I guessed 1.34m to try to win a scale model from PCA. Closest without going over like the Price is Right.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
11/1/23 8:56 a.m.

So, interestingly enough, 996s still sell for close to $40K in the Cleveland area. Everywhere else, the prices are returning to normal. I recently saw a nice specimen for $22K in Syracuse, and I see good deals all the time in Florida. 944s are similar, a good one in this area is often $15K. I found a few dealerships selling nice 944s for over $30K (lol). Cleveland is just a bad place to buy sports cars.

11/1/23 9:00 a.m.
infinitenexus said:

So, interestingly enough, 996s still sell for close to $40K in the Cleveland area. Everywhere else, the prices are returning to normal. I recently saw a nice specimen for $22K in Syracuse, and I see good deals all the time in Florida. 944s are similar, a good one in this area is often $15K. I found a few dealerships selling nice 944s for over $30K (lol). Cleveland is just a bad place to buy sports cars.

Agreed. Pricing does seem to be dropping to the point where even Hagerty is valuing "Condition 3" Manual with IMS bearing done at 22500$ currently. I was almost tempted to buy a well maintained Tiptronic with all the mods I wanted (no IMS done) but he has it priced at 23500$ and I don't want to lowball him.

Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter)
Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/1/23 9:10 a.m.

It feels like the market in general for cars is softening, at least for all but the unicorns & #1 specimens (they tend to always bring the top dollars). BAT and Cars&Bids are such a treasure trove of information as you can see what people really pay. I'm seeing a lot more reserve not met than even a few months ago. If the trend continues, it will take a while for private & dealer asking prices to adjust. I've been wanting a 911 for a while, still waffling on picking up a 996 in the near future or continuing to save my pennies for an air cooled 911s or SC. I'll probably continue to do nothing but window shop, at least its cheap.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
11/6/23 11:11 p.m.

What I found most interesting was that for roughly the same price I could buy a nice 996 in Cleveland, or fly down to Florida and buy a 997. 

11/7/23 9:55 a.m.

I'd say 996's have halved in value since the height of pandemic pricing.  I'm seeing cars under $20k these days, I've even seen several sell below $20K on Bring a Trailer recently, and they are normally better cared for cars in very good or better condition for top market value.  Even my crappy automatic base Boxster was probably worth $13K at the top, I'd be lucky to get $5k for it now.   The real cringe is I spent 40-50% of a daily driver quality 996 cab repairing it last year.

11/7/23 10:43 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

I'd say 996's have halved in value since the height of pandemic pricing.  I'm seeing cars under $20k these days, I've even seen several sell below $20K on Bring a Trailer recently, and they are normally better cared for cars in very good or better condition for top market value.  Even my crappy automatic base Boxster was probably worth $13K at the top, I'd be lucky to get $5k for it now.   The real cringe is I spent 40-50% of a daily driver quality 996 cab repairing it last year.

Interesting. I'm not seeing this trend around here. Where exactly do you look for these cars?

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/7/23 11:06 a.m.

Yeah, 996 prices seem to have fallen in Florida. I'd check the large Metro areas first-Tampa and Miami. 

Ping me if anybody does a fly-n-drive and we'll grab a beer if you're close!

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/7/23 12:58 p.m.

I bought my '08 Boxster S (987.1) on C&B nearly a year ago for 16k. Car came bone stock with old Falken tires and the usual array of paint chips a 99k driver would have. She's a driver I can park on the driveway and not feel bad about it. I don't DD her but I could; my commute is too short so I ride bicycles instead.

I'd been looking for over a year with these parameters: Porsche, Manual, S model, Cab, newer than '05, <100k on the clock, Not Red, good maintenance and <30k bucks. I berkeleyed up and didn't pick up a local 997.1 S for 29k that ticked all of the boxes by dithering. Took almost 7 months before I hit the jackpot with The Box.

My Box is the best car I've ever owned and I've had a lot of 'em. I think the 997.1 would've been better for the spousal unit (quiter, back seat for stuff during road trips, more comfortable ride, etc) but I love driving The Box. Every single time we go out I have a smile on my face. Top down, top up, doesn't matter, she's a blast!

Just slapped a set of new Michelins on her and Holy Toledo! I can't imagine how much better she'll corner when I do the suspension. I think the limits are going to be a problem for me with my poor impulse control. I'll probably buy a set of lighter 19's with RE-71's and do some autocrossing , track days or AC to attempt to keep the dragon at bay.

I owned a base 944 in the early 90's and it was great at the time. Compared to The Box it seems like a fancy GTI. Porsche really stepped up their game after teetering on the brink in the late 90's-early 00's. The 986 and 996 were what brought them back and they used that deep breath to improve their engineering and design for the next models. It shows, IMHO...

11/7/23 1:43 p.m.
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) said:

Interesting. I'm not seeing this trend around here. Where exactly do you look for these cars?

I just went to AutoTempest will the following parameters.  Porsche 911, 1999 or newer, Price $10-25,000.  For a 300 mile radius from me (Metro Detroit area) it found eight cars for sale, and one auction.  On Bring a Trailer I counted seven cars sold in the month of Oct 23, that's actual sales, not failed auctions, and there was at least one car that sold below $26K that I didn't include as it was over my $25 limit.   I am confident right now I could find a nice 996 Cab, with IMS done, good miles, everything taken care of easily under $30K.  I don't mind tip either, so that would open up my shopping.

nlevine
nlevine GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/7/23 3:10 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

There was somebody at work selling a 2000 Carrera 4 convertible last month for $25K - manual, 82K miles, new clutch (don't know about IMS), Boston area. I can make some inquiries about its availability if you're interested...

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/9/23 9:24 a.m.
1 ... 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
40V5HSVAhxzFLZZxeD0LFLrukkH3V5vAJRjKKCn5n2EngbbgKhaHTUjXAoip3AUt