carzan
carzan HalfDork
10/1/10 2:22 p.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: stupid

You beat me to it!

EricM
EricM Dork
10/1/10 2:24 p.m.

Japan, everything in Japan is just a little weird.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
10/1/10 2:27 p.m.

I can understand how they get the undriven wheels mounted like that (per the photo above) but I haven't figured out how the driven wheels work, without tearing up the CV joints in the first mile.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
10/1/10 2:27 p.m.
EricM wrote: Japan, everything in Japan is just a little weird.

A little?

Ok...a lot of things in Japan are just a little weird. A few things in Japan are REALLY wierd. Case in point, photo above.

A lot of stuff there is really cool too, I must add.

Clem

pigeon
pigeon Dork
10/1/10 2:29 p.m.

Not just Japan - anyone remember the extreme camber Rabbit?

maddabe
maddabe New Reader
10/1/10 2:42 p.m.

Help me understand why? It looks like hell, destroys the handling and will wear tires and suspension components at a rate close to the speed of light.

And apparently, it gets you pulled over.

Different strokes, right?

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Dork
10/1/10 2:53 p.m.

A couple of buddies in the back of a swing-axle bug do the same thing. But they want beer.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
10/1/10 3:03 p.m.

It's another case of emulation morphing into something ridiculous.

Someone sees a production based racecar with a bit of camber...that's how it starts, I assume.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/1/10 3:03 p.m.

To me this is an attempt to make real the caricatures we see on t-shirts.

This:

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks HalfDork
10/1/10 3:04 p.m.

its called bosozoku, and yes it kills handling and all that jazz, its purely stylistic

Ian F
Ian F Dork
10/1/10 3:06 p.m.

My guess: when certain cars are realyl slammed, they get a lot of negative camber, which for some reason, seems to be a badge of honor. I've seen a few E30's on the forums that push the limits (handling be damned...) in this regard.

Similar to the crazy aero-kits seen in Japan, this is a similar: neg camber taken to the extreme.

Who knows... looks pretty damn stupid if you ask me...

wbjones
wbjones Dork
10/1/10 3:07 p.m.

using the word "style" and what-ever-it-is in the same sentence just isn't right

junkbuggie
junkbuggie New Reader
10/1/10 3:31 p.m.
maddabe wrote: Help me understand why? It looks like hell, destroys the handling and will wear tires and suspension components at a rate close to the speed of light. And apparently, it gets you pulled over. Different strokes, right?

I get told I am a idiot for painting a Porsche OD green with a sharkmouth and taking the back glass out. Diffrent strokes is right.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
10/1/10 3:36 p.m.

yeah, there is stuff I don't get either.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
10/1/10 3:43 p.m.

The extreme camber is called "demon camber." Like grimmelshanks mentioned, it's part of the Japanese bosozoku movement where cars (and motorcycles, since bosozoku are primarily motorcycle gangs) are made to be as crazy-looking as possible for the sake of being crazy-looking:

Here's some "hellaflush," which started on the West Coast, where the war on wheel gap went nuclear. Stretched tires, slammed "stance" (another name for the hellaflush movement) and flared fenders or overfenders make your car low and slow, but without any of the coolness a lowrider has. Add a rusty hood, vinyl car bra, and/or bike rack with no bikes for extra ironic-hipster-douche cred:

And as this MotoIQ article states, both severely screw up your car's handling:

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/articletype/articleview/articleid/1712/the-ultimate-handling-guide-part-v-the-one-unforgivable-sin-overlowering-your-car.aspx

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
10/1/10 3:46 p.m.

Say what you want about "hellaflush": that miata is HOT.

TOZOVR
TOZOVR Reader
10/1/10 3:48 p.m.

There's the site, Speedhunters with TONS of that stuff. More like speedKILLERS.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks HalfDork
10/1/10 4:06 p.m.

i like "hellaflush" cars better than all the other crap. a car can handle well and be flushed out at the same time; +1 on the miatas hotness

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/1/10 4:08 p.m.

hellaflush looks good.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/1/10 4:13 p.m.

it is all part of that scene that confuses the hell out of me. I have spent a lifetime fighting against rust.. and a lot of kids purposely make their cars rusty?

mndsm
mndsm Dork
10/1/10 4:20 p.m.

I just buy dirtbag cars and leave em rusty.

Also, that whole thing came from the Hoodrides movement, where all the Beetle guys were airing out old Beetles and vans and stuff, and leaving the bodies shot. They called it "patina". I kinda like it, in a eurotrash, rat rod kinda way. I'd never do it to a GOOD car, but if the body was already honked, I'd not be opposed to leaving it that way. Deters theives too.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
10/1/10 4:26 p.m.
TOZOVR wrote: There's the site, Speedhunters with TONS of that stuff. More like speedKILLERS.

They also have a lot of coverage on vintage racing, enduro racing, European and Japanese track rats, and events like Goodwood, Billetproof, and Bonneville.

mad_machine wrote: it is all part of that scene that confuses the hell out of me. I have spent a lifetime fighting against rust.. and a lot of kids purposely make their cars rusty?

Yep. They dump turpentine onto a perfectly good hood and think its patina.

junkbuggie
junkbuggie New Reader
10/1/10 4:31 p.m.

turpentine creates rust?

should I get a new paint remover? or is it just the lack of primer after?

1 2 3 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
74EqCukHocKP7Hk7a7dPYDg1OyqmkXH7xMEtfDXzFSi1vzjgZpq3wpAsTwDhdidj