1 2 3 4 ... 7
unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
10/1/10 4:31 p.m.
RexSeven wrote:
TOZOVR wrote: There's the site, Speedhunters with TONS of that stuff. More like speedKILLERS.
They also have a lot of coverage on vintage racing, enduro racing, European and Japanese track rats, and events like Goodwood, Billetproof, and Bonneville.

Yep, I read Speedhunters on a daily basis. Skewed a little too much towards drifting if you ask me, but it's still got some good motorsports coverage. Nowhere near the technical awesomeness that is MotoIQ, though.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
10/1/10 4:43 p.m.
junkbuggie wrote: turpentine creates rust? should I get a new paint remover? or is it just the lack of primer after?

I forgot to mention that after the turpentine is applied the user leaves the hood out in the elements to collect rust.

unevolved wrote: Yep, I read Speedhunters on a daily basis. Skewed a little too much towards drifting if you ask me, but it's still got some good motorsports coverage. Nowhere near the technical awesomeness that is MotoIQ, though.

That. It's about 60% crap I don't care about/40% crap I do care about.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
10/1/10 4:47 p.m.

Miata is damn hot, would look even better if it didn't appear like its ball-joints had let go...

itsatrap
itsatrap New Reader
10/1/10 5:19 p.m.
Yep. They dump turpentine onto a perfectly good hood and think its patina.

I hope this douchbag gets asked constantly when he's going to get his hood repainted "because it looks like ass". Maybe he'll get tired of people asking and just paint it already.

A nice trick to play on him though would be to just find a junkyard hood that still looks decent and install it when he wasn't around..

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
10/1/10 5:32 p.m.

The name of that "style" you're looking for is called broken.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/1/10 5:41 p.m.

Hey, it makes as much sense as the "rat rods" that get people all sweaty on this forum! That Miata is just a stock car that's sitting low on wide wheels with an airdam, easy enough to duplicate...

Ian F wrote: My guess: when certain cars are realyl slammed, they get a lot of negative camber, which for some reason, seems to be a badge of honor. I've seen a few E30's on the forums that push the limits (handling be damned...) in this regard.

There was an E36 (I think) on the Open Track Challenge that had something like 11 degrees of negative camber in the front. In corners, it would wave its inside front paw in the air while the outside was firmly and squarely pressed into the pavement.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
10/1/10 5:44 p.m.

The rusted hood is the PBR of the car scene... it makes you look ironically poor. Mad hipster cred.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/1/10 6:01 p.m.

To answer the original question:

"ghey"

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
10/1/10 6:06 p.m.

That '57 Chevy coupe with the Caprice running gear that did the Challenge had patina. That isn't patina, that's intentionally stripping paint off your hood because you're a VW hipster/tool.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
10/1/10 6:12 p.m.

Rusty the BMW: http://jalopnik.com/5651022/meet-rusty-slammington-m5-gets-chopped-slammed-and-rubbed-the-wrong-way

kb58
kb58 Reader
10/1/10 7:57 p.m.

You guys are so 90s... It's exactly the same as wearing your pants around your knees, looking like you need a diaper change, but applied to a car. Exactly the same.

"Let's see, wearing size 48 pants isn't as cool as it used to be, so what can I do now to really stand out?", but now you put everyone around you at risk if you have to, oh, stop or turn or something. Just because someone's thinking "outside the box", sometimes that box is physics, something the kids weren't paying much attention to.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/1/10 8:23 p.m.
itsatrap wrote: A nice trick to play on him though would be to just find a junkyard hood that still looks decent and install it when he wasn't around..

or lift the rusty hood and set the engine on fire...

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
10/1/10 8:33 p.m.
kb58 wrote: You guys are so 90s... It's exactly the same as wearing your pants around your knees

I'm waiting for the fashion to change, so all the young kids will start pulling their pants way up tight so they look like Erkel. It has to happen sooner or later.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed HalfDork
10/1/10 8:37 p.m.

I don't like it either but I like the fact that it exists. Car culture is like art or music or fashion. It just continues to evolve and when you think there can't be anything else, something else comes along. Every generation has it's own thing and then it all comes back around and is called retro. Weird stuff but interesting,

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/1/10 8:47 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote:
kb58 wrote: You guys are so 90s... It's exactly the same as wearing your pants around your knees
I'm waiting for the fashion to change, so all the young kids will start pulling their pants way up tight so they look like Erkel. It has to happen sooner or later.

It's already starting, give it another 3-5 years.

I'm guessing they use some little gearboxes on their custom uprights to run the driven wheels at these insane angles.

And yeah it's called demon camber or oni-kyan.

itsatrap
itsatrap New Reader
10/1/10 8:48 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
itsatrap wrote: A nice trick to play on him though would be to just find a junkyard hood that still looks decent and install it when he wasn't around..
or lift the rusty hood and set the engine on fire...

I like the cut of your jib, fine sir.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
10/1/10 8:57 p.m.

I like LOOKING at HerraFrush cars... and that's about it.

loosecannon
loosecannon New Reader
10/1/10 9:01 p.m.

wow, there is no end to the wierd things people do

kb58
kb58 Reader
10/1/10 9:02 p.m.
Feedyurhed wrote: I don't like it either but I like the fact that it exists. Car culture is like art or music or fashion. It just continues to evolve and when you think there can't be anything else, something else comes along. Every generation has it's own thing and then it all comes back around and is called retro. Weird stuff but interesting,

As long as it's harmless to other drivers... which this is not. I can only assume insurance companies won't cover them, and the cops will pull them over for making their car dangerous... and rightly so.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks HalfDork
10/1/10 9:18 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: I like LOOKING at HerraFrush cars... and that's about it.

oh come on, we all know you wanna put some mad offset on the mx6

maddabe
maddabe New Reader
10/1/10 11:03 p.m.
junkbuggie wrote:
maddabe wrote: Help me understand why? It looks like hell, destroys the handling and will wear tires and suspension components at a rate close to the speed of light. And apparently, it gets you pulled over. Different strokes, right?
I get told I am a idiot for painting a Porsche OD green with a sharkmouth and taking the back glass out. Diffrent strokes is right.

Seriously, I love the "Flying Tigers" paint job. I was thinking of doing the same with my soon-to-be Miata.

Who would rather have sharing the road with you?

1. An automobile that has been modified to reduce the amount of rubber on the road... We all know what a good idea that is.

2. An automobile with a crazy paint job and loud pipes but is optimized for handling and safety (seriously, what's safer than a racer?)

junkbuggie
junkbuggie New Reader
10/1/10 11:41 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Rusty the BMW: http://jalopnik.com/5651022/meet-rusty-slammington-m5-gets-chopped-slammed-and-rubbed-the-wrong-way

I am not going to lie to you all

BAD ASS!!!

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
10/2/10 12:01 a.m.
maddabe wrote: Who would rather have sharing the road with you? 1. An automobile that has been modified to reduce the amount of rubber on the road... We all know what a good idea that is. 2. An automobile with a crazy paint job and loud pipes but is optimized for handling and safety (seriously, what's safer than a racer?)

You're making the ASSumption an average driver knows or cares about the differences - both are ludicrous to the masses.

And, unless you know the driver, the car with the crazy paint job and loud pipes may be just as much as a menace as any other eye-catching ride.

Just sayin!

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
10/2/10 4:35 a.m.
junkbuggie wrote:
stuart in mn wrote: Rusty the BMW: http://jalopnik.com/5651022/meet-rusty-slammington-m5-gets-chopped-slammed-and-rubbed-the-wrong-way
I am not going to lie to you all BAD ASS!!!
  • eleventy billion!!!
Luke
Luke SuperDork
10/2/10 5:19 a.m.

Wow, that thing got even awesome'r. Mike Burroughs is on here, btw!

1 2 3 4 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W4bAZf7EDbroy35SQAfppLD6Qsi7Y44m7J63Q7l9L2x1HFDdB6zBb3osXyeHfBGZ