1 2 3 4 5 6 7
ManBearSTIG
ManBearSTIG GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/5/10 6:28 a.m.

I love this place. Lots of smart cookies here. However, this thread screams old man in knee high black socks yelling, "GET OFF MY LAWN!!!" LOL. Pretty sure we all went through a phase that made the older generation say "wtf?!".

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
10/5/10 8:34 a.m.
Platinum90 wrote: That car was at the Mitty too. And in the most recent GRM issue...I wonder if there is some connection...

And Solo nationals last year. And the Flyin' Miata summer camp earlier this summer. What's really crazy is how this car follows me to work every day.

It's starting to creep me out.

modernbeat
modernbeat HalfDork
10/5/10 8:50 a.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: Truth be told i like this look. Its as close to a "rat" type look you can get on a modern car. You cant remove fenders cause it looks bad and you just cant do anything like you can to old iron.

Do you like PBR?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Reader
10/5/10 9:04 a.m.
modernbeat wrote:
CarKid1989 wrote: Truth be told i like this look. Its as close to a "rat" type look you can get on a modern car. You cant remove fenders cause it looks bad and you just cant do anything like you can to old iron.
Do you like PBR? Have sleeve tattoos? Strange facial hair? Like obscure music? Think Elliot Smith was a genius?
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/5/10 9:37 a.m.

well.. I will admit to like obscure music.. but I still hate rust

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
10/5/10 9:50 a.m.
modernbeat wrote: Do you like PBR?

I most certainly do.

But not the rest of the stuff mentioned

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/5/10 10:15 a.m.
ManBearSTIG wrote: I love this place. Lots of smart cookies here. However, this thread screams old man in knee high black socks yelling, "GET OFF MY LAWN!!!" LOL. Pretty sure we all went through a phase that made the older generation say "wtf?!".

Yeah, that sums it up. A million years ago, on our original message board, one of our regulars told us about his first car: '50s-something Ford with Mercury hubcaps, fake lake pipes and a second antenna.

maddabe
maddabe New Reader
10/8/10 10:20 p.m.
MrBenjamonkey wrote:
Knurled wrote:
Keith wrote: Hey, it makes as much sense as the "rat rods" that get people all sweaty on this forum!
Real rat rods are cool. Take stuff lying around and make something with four wheels, an engine, and a place to sit. Ornamental rat rods (axe for hood ornament, times 500) to me looks like those creepy art vans covered with 1500 doll heads or nativity scenes or something. SINCE THIS HASN'T BEEN POSTED YET
Speaking of creepy vans, there seemed to be a competition in Nevada a while back to see who could put the largest Virgin Mary decal on their automobile. I'm not sure I know the correct words to describe this vehicle ...

Not to stereotype but I'll bet the driver is of the hispanic persuasion. Chevy truck and Catholic nonsense... I'd bet money.

Don't forget, stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason. That reason being: They're usually true.

92dxman
92dxman HalfDork
10/9/10 2:03 a.m.

PBR=good cheap beer in can. /Thread.

xFactor
xFactor New Reader
10/9/10 11:18 a.m.
92dxman wrote: PBR= cheap beer in can. /Thread.

Fixored

later, x

kb58
kb58 Reader
10/9/10 11:29 a.m.
ManBearSTIG wrote: I love this place. Lots of smart cookies here. However, this thread screams old man in knee high black socks yelling, "GET OFF MY LAWN!!!" LOL. Pretty sure we all went through a phase that made the older generation say "wtf?!".

Yeah, except that this mod is dangerous to the driver and everyone around him no matter how you look at it. Baggy pants, fine, baseball hat askew, fine, none of that hurts anyone else - this is something else entirely.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
10/9/10 11:47 a.m.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
10/9/10 1:12 p.m.

I've got to admit, the clear intake and coolant lines are pretty neat. They would never stay that clean in my car but I like the effort.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/9/10 2:01 p.m.

I think the whole "no wires visible" trend is exactly like the "lower it to feeler-gauge gap at the top of the wheelwell lip" trend.

It's car-as-statue.

I don't really see the point of that, although you could save a lot of money on engine internals that way. If it's not meant to do anything but look nice parked at a show, why does it even need to run?

PS - That VW looks like it has a 1ZZ-FE intake manifold on it... and that's not the first time I've seen that on a VW.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
10/9/10 3:58 p.m.

I like tucked engine bays... There's something about opening a hood and just seeing.... ENGINE that appeals to me.

I've been slowly doing that to my MX6. It's a great feeling when you start out with your passenger side completely crammed with E36 M3, and after an afternoon, it's bare and clean.

As for the others... like i said, i enjoy looking at them, and i would probably enjoy driving one daily, but they're built for another purpose.

unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
10/9/10 4:19 p.m.

A lot of times, a properly tucked engine bay can make it easier to work on the engine. I've seen some that use Mil-spec cannon plugs at the firewall where the harness comes off in one neat little package.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
10/9/10 6:42 p.m.

I knew this thread was going to be about stance/hellaflush.

Cool trend appearance-wise. Practicality-wise it makes no sense whatsoever. Wrecked oil pans, wrecked headers, tires corded after 3000 miles... I want no part of that.

I like it when the camber isn't TOO far out of whack, but plenty of people take it too far.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/9/10 9:44 p.m.

I will admit to liking a clean engine bay like that... but I would hate to have an electrical problem after that was all done.

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
10/9/10 11:07 p.m.

Hella flush is probably my favorite show car trend in a while, but that said, I still prefer this

to any showcar.

irish44j
irish44j HalfDork
10/10/10 11:15 a.m.
maddabe wrote:
MrBenjamonkey wrote:
Knurled wrote:
Keith wrote: Hey, it makes as much sense as the "rat rods" that get people all sweaty on this forum!
Real rat rods are cool. Take stuff lying around and make something with four wheels, an engine, and a place to sit. Ornamental rat rods (axe for hood ornament, times 500) to me looks like those creepy art vans covered with 1500 doll heads or nativity scenes or something. SINCE THIS HASN'T BEEN POSTED YET
Speaking of creepy vans, there seemed to be a competition in Nevada a while back to see who could put the largest Virgin Mary decal on their automobile. I'm not sure I know the correct words to describe this vehicle ...
Not to stereotype but I'll bet the driver is of the hispanic persuasion. Chevy truck and Catholic nonsense... I'd bet money. Don't forget, stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason. That reason being: They're usually true.

as opposed to most of the south's pickups driven by "whiteys", where the airbrushed tailgate is much more likely to be either a) a sunset b) a NASCAR driver's face and car/number c) a confederate flag d) all of the above combined.

btw, I'm Catholic and thinking of airbrushing the Virgin Mary on the back of my wrx.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/10/10 11:27 a.m.
irish44j wrote: btw, I'm Catholic and thinking of airbrushing the Virgin Mary on the back of my wrx.

do it..

but only if she's wearing a confederate flag bikini, carrying a shotgun, smoking a marlboro, pregnant and holding mickeys bottle.

now thats america right there...

irish44j
irish44j HalfDork
10/10/10 11:37 a.m.
ignorant wrote:
irish44j wrote: btw, I'm Catholic and thinking of airbrushing the Virgin Mary on the back of my wrx.
do it.. but only if she's wearing a confederate flag bikini, carrying a shotgun, smoking a marlboro, pregnant and holding mickeys bottle. now thats america right there...

what do I look like, the Tea Party? Reminds me of a PS I made about a guy on another forum that answers every queston with "Palin"

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Reader
10/10/10 11:40 a.m.
as opposed to most of the south's pickups driven by "whiteys", where the airbrushed tailgate is much more likely to be either a) a sunset b) a NASCAR driver's face and car/number c) a confederate flag d) all of the above combined.

I live here, and I've never seen any of that.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
10/10/10 2:02 p.m.

I like the way a wire tucked engine bay looks, but I've lost count of the number of customers I've worked with whose mysterious electrical gremlins were the result of a wire tuck gone horribly wrong.

Is the rusted hood thing mostly a West Coast trend? I don't see very many rusted hoods in Atlanta, even of the non-ironic variety.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed HalfDork
10/10/10 5:18 p.m.
kb58 wrote: You guys are so 90s... It's exactly the same as wearing your pants around your knees, looking like you need a diaper change, but applied to a car. Exactly the same. "Let's see, wearing size 48 pants isn't as cool as it used to be, so what can I do now to really stand out?", but now you put everyone around you at risk if you have to, oh, stop or turn or something. Just because someone's thinking "outside the box", sometimes that box is physics, something the kids weren't paying much attention to.

Bet that really ruins the resale value.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
semXgqmKdVaG5qBQ2nobHcMiIOioWgb5qPzEgevf4O9aBqyBAtpWc1N4dV3UOQhM