1 ... 4 5 6 7
Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
10/12/10 9:54 a.m.
gamby wrote:
z31maniac wrote: Burroughs is in TN I believe and he has done a lot to further the trend, including starting Stanceworks and even coming out with a limited edition run of AST coilovers meant to be run low but still have travel. Let me see if I can find the pic/vids of his S54 swapped E36, badass car.
This is the car and it is pretty fantastic/game-changing/trendsetting IMHO: That said, the hater in me has to wonder where a 20-year-old gets the green to do this.

THAT'S game-changing and trendsetting? Man, I need to get me in on this most ridiculous of trends.

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
10/12/10 7:17 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
MrBenjamonkey wrote: I completely agree with your sentiment about demon camber cars being dangerous. And yes, I would support the cops ticketing them. However, there seems to be a strong anti-young bias. For example, T-buckets with no front brakes and 454s seem much more dangerous than a demon camber Rabbit. And yet nobody raises hell about t-buckets. Machiavelli, I think, was right about people opposing whatever is new because it is new.
No anti-young bias here. The difference is that very few people can look at a T-bucket with no brakes and identify it visually as being hazardous. Not so with the demon camber cars. If there is any bias, it is perhaps based on the youthful inability to understand to importance of appearances, and the in-your-face attitude that self-proclaims themselves as better than the rest of everyone who is playing by the rules (or at least appearing to). Old guys with a lot of change tied up in a big block T-bucket don't flaunt their illegalities. Young people do. Then they get upset when bad stuff happens (or when people don't appreciate their "style"). It's kind of self-inflicted.

Really? If I had to pick a vehicle that looks like rolling death, this would be pretty close to the top.

New, btw, is almost by definition more attention grabbing than something people have been doing forever, which was kind of my point.

That said, I would rather not be seen in or around either a demon camber car or a T-bucket.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/12/10 7:54 p.m.

It does, however, look like it is capable of rolling in a straight line.

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
10/12/10 8:12 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: Any car is dangerous in the wrong hands. My car, being capable of higher speeds/velocity (faster = more dangerous, no matter how you slice it), is more dangerous end result than the hellaflushmobiles. To a point, (The earlier posted Rabbit being an exception) it's the driver you should worry about more than the car. Do i think that Hellaflush is stupid? Yeah. Somewhat. Would i rather have a sanely-driven Hellaflushmobile in the lane next to me than a ratty old Cavalier shimmying like a dumptruck with a bent rim? Absolutely. E36 M3boxes are all over the place where i live. Hellaflush is the least of my worries.

I'm not sure I agree. Your overpowered ;) Mazda is still capable of perfectly reasonable accident avoidance manouvers. Yeah, the power can get you into trouble if you're inclined, but driven normally, it's at least as good as the average car at accident avoidance. I don't think that's the case with the demon camber cars: emergency lane change and braking performance DEFINITELY suffers, and that (to me) makes for a much more dangerous car.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
10/13/10 6:48 a.m.
njansenv wrote:
93celicaGT2 wrote: Any car is dangerous in the wrong hands. My car, being capable of higher speeds/velocity (faster = more dangerous, no matter how you slice it), is more dangerous end result than the hellaflushmobiles. To a point, (The earlier posted Rabbit being an exception) it's the driver you should worry about more than the car. Do i think that Hellaflush is stupid? Yeah. Somewhat. Would i rather have a sanely-driven Hellaflushmobile in the lane next to me than a ratty old Cavalier shimmying like a dumptruck with a bent rim? Absolutely. E36 M3boxes are all over the place where i live. Hellaflush is the least of my worries.
I'm not sure I agree. Your overpowered ;) Mazda is still capable of perfectly reasonable accident avoidance manouvers. Yeah, the power can get you into trouble if you're inclined, but driven normally, it's at least as good as the average car at accident avoidance. I don't think that's the case with the demon camber cars: emergency lane change and braking performance DEFINITELY suffers, and that (to me) makes for a much more dangerous car.

I'd argue that the "camber crew" cars are likely not MUCH worse than stock in avoidance maneuvers, and are still much better than half of the crap i see on the road these days. (Of course, barring stuff like the SwagRabbit and that ridiculous Lexus or whatever it was earlier in the thread.)

You make a valid point, though. (Though i do feel like i'd be smacked upside the head if i posted a picture of the angle of the control arms on that car.

speedblind
speedblind Reader
10/13/10 11:47 a.m.

When it comes to horrible alignments and premature tire wear, I guess I just prefer:

To:

But I suppose that's the beauty of individuality. I mean, there are people that think airbags on an S10 with sparkly purple paint looks cool, right?

speedblind
speedblind Reader
10/13/10 11:51 a.m.

One more pic - stance y0!

ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
10/13/10 1:29 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
gamby wrote:
THAT'S game-changing and trendsetting? Man, I need to get me in on this most ridiculous of trends.

What gets me about that particular E36 is how he keeps saying this type of thing about it

stanceworks web page said: Stance is taken care of by specially developed AST suspension that effectively keeps the car unbelievably close to the ground while still offering exemplary handling

All they are are shortened body coilovers. Sure it has some suspension travel but nothing was done about the roll centers or anything else that has been messed by the "stance"

The car looks great but I am sick of hearing about how amazing this "revolutionary" and "Groundbreaking" suspension is. Folks have been doing essentially this same stuff to BMW's for years by using shorter VW struts in cut down 2002/E21 and E30 strut tubes.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
10/13/10 3:46 p.m.
speedblind wrote: One more pic - stance y0!

Meaty!!!

Hella Flush that other crap right down the toilet.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
10/13/10 3:58 p.m.

I saw this thread and decided to get my camber on. Bought me some mad tyte herra frush wheels.

Just kidding I am a poser running JDM knock offs. Hey $400 for the rims with 5 pretty fresh Hankook Ventus road race tires.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
10/13/10 4:07 p.m.
gamby wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
MadScientistMatt wrote: I like the way a wire tucked engine bay looks, but I've lost count of the number of customers I've worked with whose mysterious electrical gremlins were the result of a wire tuck gone horribly wrong. Is the rusted hood thing mostly a West Coast trend? I don't see very many rusted hoods in Atlanta, even of the non-ironic variety.
Burroughs is in TN I believe and he has done a lot to further the trend, including starting Stanceworks and even coming out with a limited edition run of AST coilovers meant to be run low but still have travel. Let me see if I can find the pic/vids of his S54 swapped E36, badass car.
This is the car and it is pretty fantastic/game-changing/trendsetting IMHO: That said, the hater in me has to wonder where a 20-year-old gets the green to do this.

Used e36, some cheap bags, and a set of used AMG Hammers? I bet he's got less than 15k into that total. I had that kind of money when I was 20, but I spent it on stereo instead. Amazing what you can do when you have 0 responsibility.

JoeyM
JoeyM Dork
10/13/10 4:19 p.m.
MrBenjamonkey wrote: eally? If I had to pick a vehicle that looks like rolling death, this would be pretty close to the top.

It may be dangerous, but that's the first car in this thread that I'd be happy to die in.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
10/13/10 6:42 p.m.

To add to this picture and thought I will add these other examples of "socially acceptable" ways to make your vehicle dangerous.

Gassers. Pretty much the same as the T-bucket but with a whole lot higher center of gravity

Body dropped anythings

Oh and how about lifted and usually with completly whacked out geometry trucks

I am not trying to defend the camber thing. It is dumb, but all of these are just as dumb or worse but they have been around long enough that they are acceptable versions of the same level of stupidity.

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
10/13/10 8:15 p.m.

Old stupid = no problem. New stupid = end of the world.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
10/13/10 8:52 p.m.

Don't mind me, just shooting fireballs everywhere with my car equipped with malfunctioning geometry.

kb58
kb58 Reader
10/13/10 9:09 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: ... but they have been around long enough that they are acceptable versions of the same level of stupidity.

No they aren't... they're just as dumb as ever for what they do to handling.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/13/10 9:19 p.m.

hellaflush

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
10/13/10 9:19 p.m.

I have always wondered about lifted trucks. The axles still have to be down at the same level as the wheels, so you really don't improve the ground clearance by jacking the body 20 feet in the air.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/13/10 10:21 p.m.
Platinum90 wrote: I have always wondered about lifted trucks. The axles still have to be down at the same level as the wheels, so you really don't improve the ground clearance by jacking the body 20 feet in the air.

Lifting prevents high-centering on your transfer case. Taller tires provide axle clearance, and you need lift for the tires to clear the body.

Even so, about 10-15 years ago, the trend was moving towards heavy Sawzall work to the body instead of lifting more than a couple inches.

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
10/13/10 10:45 p.m.

This is a better hard core wheeler than the 20 foot lift mobiles by far.

This is the remnants of a Yota pickup, btw.

Giant lift = demon camber.

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
10/13/10 10:47 p.m.
Gimp wrote: hellaflush

What is that brown piece of awesomeness?

I think this should be the next trend. I say "McNasty with Cheese."

modernbeat
modernbeat HalfDork
10/13/10 10:56 p.m.
MrBenjamonkey wrote:
Gimp wrote: hellaflush
What is that brown piece of awesomeness? I think this should be the next trend. I say "McNasty with Cheese."

I believe it's a Lancia Zagato Fulvia.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
10/14/10 7:55 a.m.

I say a 70's Camaro.

D_Howard
D_Howard New Reader
10/14/10 1:20 p.m.

Dually is DROP dead sexy, need it.

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
10/14/10 1:56 p.m.
D_Howard wrote: Dually is DROP dead sexy, need it.

Last Sunday I spotted a Dodge dually like that strolling down the freeway. It also had a chopped top. I think it was about as high as a Ford GT-40. It may have even been channeled, but I didn't get a close look at it as it was going the opposite direction. I happen to have a '78 Chevy crew cab dually. Hmmmm.

1 ... 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uB1ad7jsF5JyeidIKNOcu9gwFkeTEtCvR9i3NpaduSY2sHMJde0NhADZ1idrmG7K