1 2
ExcessKuma
ExcessKuma Reader
5/30/23 1:12 p.m.

So now that I have experienced what GRM is all about (and requested my time off for April) I'm now contemplating how to get back into the automotive field as a career move vs just a bad habit to sink my money into. While I have been doing this as a hobby since I was pretty young, I really don't have a lot of "Professional" experience. The closest I have to that was being a Tesla Technician for a year or so but had a falling out with that as the work environment wasn't the greatest. Getting to spend the weekend with y'all and hearing how y'all have these cool jobs has gotten me back on the idea of looking into how to follow suit. Granted I'd love to be the actual driver as well, but at the current moment I'm fully aware I need to slim down before I can be stuffing myself into a race suit and seat XD. 

I guess my question is, how should I go about doing so? Most places usually require some decent experience on paper and while school would be a consideration, I'd have to find out how to go to school and support myself and my v8s financially. Plus I don't even know if Florida has good choices for that kind of field.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/30/23 1:18 p.m.

Ummm....   grm is hiring.

ExcessKuma
ExcessKuma Reader
5/30/23 1:40 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

All I saw under Employment was for a publisher/ marketing position which I don't have the experience they want. Let me keep digging though.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 HalfDork
5/30/23 1:48 p.m.

I'll offer a word of caution... don't... Working on cars all day even fun ones really zaps the physical and mental resources to do it in the evening. In most of the "fun" automotive careers you're working in a industry where passion often outpaces self improvement ie you end up working really hard for less money than your labor and expertise should be worth. 

I went from a racecar builder/mechanic to an ASM at a not Honda/Toyota Japanese dealership big jump in income, big reduction in hours. Ideally I'd be out completely and let my passion be my passion but this is okay for now. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
5/30/23 2:03 p.m.

There are numerous ways to do this but you need to be aware that most starting positions pay grunt wages (true of any business).

I know several people working in the industry; from technicians to instructors at schools. I know a couple of techs on IMSA teams and they have regular jobs besides there Motorsports gig.

The hours are long and the pay ranges from barely adequate to good. With that said I know people who wouldn't trade the job for the world despite the hours and the pay.

As long as you go into this eyes wide open you'll be fine.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
5/30/23 3:33 p.m.

Find something automotive adjacent, you'll get paid better and likely have better quality of life. 

I.E. be a data analyst for an OEM, instead of the suspension engineer for IMSA that you want to be

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/30/23 3:40 p.m.

In reply to Byrneon27 :

I had a similar experience in a much different part of the industry. Working for the People's Car Company was the culmination of a lot of work to break in, and it was enlightening and actually fun, but I put my hobby aside for the time.

Overall I'm enjoying cars more on the outside. 

ExcessKuma
ExcessKuma Reader
5/30/23 5:03 p.m.
calteg said:

Find something automotive adjacent, you'll get paid better and likely have better quality of life. 

I.E. be a data analyst for an OEM, instead of the suspension engineer for IMSA that you want to be

I think that might be the better option then, that way I can follow a passion and avoid burnout 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/30/23 5:23 p.m.

In reply to ExcessKuma :

Here's an old thread you might enjoy:  

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/what-do-you-do-for-a-job/187677/page1/

As you read through see if you can find more on the people you spent the weekend with.  

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
5/30/23 5:33 p.m.

I'll echo that making a job out of your hobby is exactly that, and nearly always ruins the interest you had, such that you don't want to do it when you get home.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
5/30/23 6:00 p.m.

Any race teams or tracks near you?

you could also vlog or podcast your hot takes about pro racing, build up a following, and you'll be plugging supplements and prepackaged meals before you know it!

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/30/23 6:18 p.m.

I would spin a tale of caution.

I tell my students that the entire school experience is telling you to find your passion, and get a job doing that.  _I_ tell them to get a job that amuses you and pays the bills, but have a passion on the side - something that gives you a reason to get up and go to work every day, something to escape when you're not at work, because nothing will kill your passion like doing it for money because you have to

"The cobbler's children have no shoes" is a real thing - one of the reasons I got out of pulling wrenches is because I discovered I didn't actually like working on your car - I like working on my car, and not fixing it, but modifying it.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/30/23 6:31 p.m.

I'll tell you the same thing I told Johnny this weekend. Go get some training as a machinist, preferably a manual Machinist. Every plant is currently looking for one, every machine shop is looking for one, every motor shop is looking for one. That'll fund your passion and be adjacent to where you can make meat E36 M3 all day and go home and play with the cars you want to play with while providing a fairly decent life for yourself

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/30/23 6:44 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I agree, plus one Million 

ExcessKuma
ExcessKuma Reader
5/30/23 6:45 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to ExcessKuma :

Here's an old thread you might enjoy:  

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/what-do-you-do-for-a-job/187677/page1/

As you read through see if you can find more on the people you spent the weekend with.  

TIL a good chunk of important engineering careers are held by people who think climbing into a homemade racecar is fun

ExcessKuma
ExcessKuma Reader
5/30/23 6:48 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I'll tell you the same thing I told Johnny this weekend. Go get some training as a machinist, preferably a manual Machinist. Every plant is currently looking for one, every machine shop is looking for one, every motor shop is looking for one. That'll fund your passion and be adjacent to where you can make meat E36 M3 all day and go home and play with the cars you want to play with while providing a fairly decent life for yourself

I'll look into it for sure. A big caveat as to why I still do my current job (Patient access at a children's hospital) is because it pays 18/hr and I'm worried about funds taking a pay cut.

Then again, there is that site for fans.....

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/23 7:00 p.m.

If you want to expand the enjoyment of your hobby as an extension of your day to day life, please for the love of dog don't. 

It sucks. 

I wasted decades in automotive. I could be a retired tradesman today if I weren't an idiot. Seriously. Go back to JUCO, get a degree that has you repairing PLCs and manufacturing electrical. Work for the man for 25 and cash the flock out.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
5/30/23 7:08 p.m.

In reply to ExcessKuma :

16 years ago (approaching 45 yrs old) I took a 5% pay cut to come to my current employer. In the intervening years my salary has gone up 218%. 

My job is in no way shape or form involved in motorsports but the now not insignificant income allows me to play with cars much more frequently. I do like my job but the pay and benefits is solidly 50% of why I like my job.

I could, if I so desired, have a job as a driving instructor tomorrow but beyond the pay and the longer hours I didn't want to turn my hobby/love of the sport into a job.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/30/23 7:24 p.m.

We don't know much about your background or current skill set as it might be used to  profit the automotive world.

Tell us what skill set  you already have to offer an employer and where you want the skill development to go?

From experience, I can tell you that the restoration/fabrication side of the automotive world is in huge demand. How good of a job it is will depend largely on the shop that hires you.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/30/23 7:33 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/30/23 7:41 p.m.
ExcessKuma said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I'll look into it for sure. A big caveat as to why I still do my current job (Patient access at a children's hospital) is because it pays 18/hr and I'm worried about funds taking a pay cut.

Then again, there is that site for fans.....

Dudes right out of stanly tech or cpcc here are starting at $25 if they can pass a piss test and show up 3 out of 5 sober

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/30/23 7:48 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

It reminds me of the Boyd Coddington story.  Show has him as an unlikable guy though so who knows his testimony.  

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/23 7:49 p.m.

I've worked in a LOT of the business.  I spent many years absorbing the entire internet (or at least it seemed that way) on how to do basic stuff.  I worked my way up to being really confident doing nearly anything - building engines, final drives, wiring harnesses... the only things I don't do are body work because I suck at it, transmissions because I've never tried, and I'm only a fair welder.

My first real job in the business was given to me by Wil Sakowski.  It was a fantastic hot rod/custom shop in the true SoCal style.  We didn't have a big name, but I promise you've seen some of my work, especially if you ever saw a ZZ Top album cover with a chopped and channeled Cadillac.  I had no part in the initial design, but I did some suspension re-engineering on the rear.  I'm sure any of you who collect Hot Wheels probably have a few of the cars that I co-created with my buddy over at Mattel.  We would build the full-scale version of their flagship car every year for SEMA.

Wil moved that shop and I didn't follow.  I turned down a position at Hollywood Hot Rods because Troy wanted me in the shop, but also wanted me to cover the office.  After three interviews, I passed.  I felt so baller.  Turning down Troy Ladd's job offer.  I ended up working at a massive dealership in the Valley north of L.A.  They had about 40 techs and about 50 bays.  They refused to hire me, so put on a Goodwrench shirt that I had bought years ago, showed up with my truck and toolbox, and unloaded it in an empty bay.  I walked into the office and said that I needed a repair order.  They gave one to me.  R&R warranty transmission on a 2500 pickup.  I knew how to fix it, but I knew nothing else.  Where did we park the service cars?  Where were the keys?  Where was the bathroom?  I worked the first week racking up repairs.  That Friday was payday.  Everyone lined up but I knew I would get my first check two weeks later.  So I worked for three weeks with no pay racking up repairs.  The next payday, I lined up for my paycheck and it wasn't there. (obviously).  Service manager asked who hired me.  I figured in a dealership like that there had to be someone named Tim, so I said "Tim."  He said, "you mean Tom? Well, go see [insert name] and fill out your W4."  No one ever knew.  By the time any questions were asked, I had been there nearly a month and was doing well, so they just assumed I had been hired.  I never met Tom.

I then moved to TX where I started as a wrench-turner for an independent shop.  Cut my teeth doing timing belts, tranny R&Rs, engine changes, wheel bearings, etc.  Did that for a while until they made me a service manager and eventually opened up a second shop that I ran.  We turned that into a franchise of 13 shops all across TX until it became apparent that the owner's profits started going up his nose and into, um... professional girlfriends.

After that I ran a few transmission repair shops until I got out of the business altogether.

Too long of a story?  Nutshell version.  If you can find your way into a service writer/manager position after some time as a grease monkey at a repair shop, you will gain SO MUCH experience.  Don't apply for a tech job, apply for a service writer position.  List your experience as being heavier on the tech than the management.  They'll hire you to be a tech, but know that you're looking to move up.  If you apply to be a tech, you'll stay a tech for a long time.  Once you're behind the desk in a polo, you'll have two things.  Experience getting greasy with a ton of different cars, and the run of the shop.  Depending on the shop, that's a beautiful thing.  At my independent shop, I was the boss.  I spent the day in sales, and at 5pm I suddenly had a million-dollar facility full of lifts, air compressors, acetylene torches, welders, diagnostic equipment, HVAC, and easy/safe disposal of fluids.  I built a 383 for a Baja boat I picked up, had my 4L60E rebuilt at cost, and I even would go junkyard picking and put it through our steam parts washer to sell for a profit.  

I started out spending a decade absorbing all I could from the internet, (what it could offer in 1996) local friends, other/wiser car folks, but the 7 years I spent as a service tech/manager taught me insane amounts of information about a massive range of cars.  It has also informed me so much about buying used vehicles.  Every time I see a 90s DSM for sale cheap, I remind myself of the weak bolt bosses around the terrible timing belt tensioners.  Every time I see a cheap Audi R8 come up on Copart, I remind myself of the $1600 TCMs that like to fail every 20k and require custom ordering from Germany and it takes 16 weeks shipping and a transmission disassembly to install it... plus a $1200 reflash at the dealer.  Every time I see a cheap AWD Explorer, I remember how many BW transfer cases I repaired because a tire was 5 psi low.  Stuff like that.

I will echo what others have said.... Don't make your hobby into your profession.  If you spend all day working on cars, the last thing you want to do is work on your own.  I don't know your age or experience, but if you get into the business long enough to milk it for all the info you can absorb, it is a GREAT way to lean so much.  If you told me at 49 that I had to go back to that business, I would rather declare bankruptcy.  I'm past that.  But if you aren't, milk the system.  Use it as a university.

Notice I never used the term self-taught.  I spent a decade learning off the backs of others more savvy than I.  I'm not self-taught, I just read the "how to wrench for dummies" that friends, google, and shop manuals provided.  I'm self-learned, thanks to the thousands of people in the world who knew more than I and were willing to share it.

toconn
toconn New Reader
5/30/23 8:57 p.m.

I would echo what others have said here and warn against turning your passion into your career directly. It's not that it can't work, but I've seen a few people get into mechanic work because they were car/truck nuts and every one of them seemed to eventually lose the passion. I took a corollary route when I was younger and I'm glad I did. I worked for an automotive OEM for a while and realized that working in the industry - atleast that industry - kinda sucks. But I got into a career path that I can build marketable skills that I can use to get a job outside of the automotive world but also contribute to my automotive interest. There's a lot of those career paths out there. Toolmaker / machinist, Electrician, Engineer, Millwright, etc. 

ExcessKuma
ExcessKuma Reader
5/30/23 9:22 p.m.
NOHOME said:

We don't know much about your background or current skill set as it might be used to  profit the automotive world.

Tell us what skill set  you already have to offer an employer and where you want the skill development to go?

From experience, I can tell you that the restoration/fabrication side of the automotive world is in huge demand. How good of a job it is will depend largely on the shop that hires you.

I mean outside of the Tesla Stint, most of my experience is just entry level CS jobs. I have an associate's degree but that's about it. I might have to keep looking into the "automotive adjacent" side of things because it's clear that going fully into automotive work may not always be the best 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BNDRCywmbZQqJ9p7WC5oVoWLWfoEbAs19oeihDAWLq3dFvp1FOQbPfQ3RVHnhZEQ