1 2
Smarta$$ McPoopyPants
Smarta$$ McPoopyPants MegaDork
6/26/17 9:01 a.m.

And it was freakin AWESOME!!! I learned a lot, and Bobby, his wife, and his crew are just incredible people. I highly recommend checking it out!!!

https://www.bobbyoresports.com

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/26/17 9:28 a.m.

Bobby Ore? The hockey player?

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
6/26/17 9:36 a.m.

Not Joie Chitwood?

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
6/26/17 9:36 a.m.

No. 4, Bobby ORR.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
6/26/17 11:16 a.m.

That's where you learn to dive head-first out of the path on an oncoming car?

(Website looks like it's a lot of fun. Sebring Fla)

Any stories?

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
6/26/17 11:58 a.m.

Where did you take the class? They have a few locations. And what inspired you??

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/26/17 12:06 p.m.

The one day or one of the multi day classes?

I looked at this a while ago, then kind of forgot.

How was it? Think it will help with sport driving too?

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
6/26/17 12:23 p.m.

You're in Georgia so I assume you took it in Atlanta.... I worked for 12 years at the motion picture driving clinic in Los Angeles. Super fun and it can't hurt to develop other driving muscles although I'd say that getting good at drifting probably has more application to racing than stunt driving.

But being able to slide a car into the parking spot in front of the restaurant definitely gets attention :)

Smarta$$ McPoopyPants
6/26/17 12:26 p.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory:

Tons. But HIS racing/stunt driving stories were more interesting than anything I can tell you.

While I dicked around doing e-brake shenanigans as a kid, the one-day course is really about nailing 180's and 90 degree slides into a box, with MINIMAL movement of the wheel.

Honestly though, my favorite part was riding with Bobby. He scared the living E36 M3 out of me (in a good way.) Toward the end of the day, I'd be practicing a 90 degree slide, and he'd slide his car 6" from my door screaming "Mike, what the hell are you doing!?"

Incredibly funny guy, but also a Marine who immediately commands respect.

At the end of the day he took a few people in the group up on two wheels in a Ford Ranger. I think he did three laps around the paddock with my brother. It was absolutely surreal to watch. Words can't explain it.

He also took people for a couple drift-thrashes in a mustang, finishing with the "circle of trust" where he does donuts around one of the other instructors INCHES away from her. Again. Surreal. Not like watching a video/movie.

My brother and I loved it so much, he stayed another day just so we could WATCH the next class. Bobby ended up driving/riding in my brother's newly-acquired miata on track. My wife met us out there, and I shoved her in the Mustang with him. She can't stop going on about it.

Truly an amazing experience, and worth every penny!!!

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
6/26/17 12:27 p.m.

this sounds so incredibly cool.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/26/17 1:25 p.m.
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/26/17 2:10 p.m.

I once tried practicing 180s into a box with a set of tires I was about to replace. It seems to be super-hard to get the amount of rotation right to keep the rear of the car in line. If it was against a curb I'd be afraid I might smack it.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
6/26/17 2:14 p.m.

It's amazing that he could train and control the inborn desire of a Mustang to run over a human like that.

But really, that sounds like a fun way to spend a day. I had no idea this kind of thing was available.

Smarta$$ McPoopyPants
6/26/17 2:35 p.m.
Pete Gossett wrote: Mental posted a vid on his Facebook page. I wish I could have been there! https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https://www.facebook.com/mental.ward.5/videos/10211521921536053/&show_text=0&width=560

My wife was in the back seat and got in-car video. We just watched it a minute ago, and my heart started racing again!!!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
6/26/17 2:48 p.m.

Wow, much cooler than I would've guessed!

I LOVE controlled recklessness!

Smarta$$ McPoopyPants
6/26/17 2:48 p.m.
RevRico wrote: The one day or one of the multi day classes? I looked at this a while ago, then kind of forgot. How was it? Think it will help with sport driving too?

One day, but I'm DEFINITELY doing the 3-day at some point.

I learned a lot of things that will help on the track, and on the street. And was also reminded that I'm nowhere near the caliber of driver I'd like to think I am.

I tried not to go in with an "I'm a race car driver" attitude, but it was definitely there in the back of my mind. All that went out the window when a 67-year-old took the slalom faster in reverse than I did forward.

Smarta$$ McPoopyPants
6/27/17 1:05 p.m.

Great article...though I'd much rather see a GRM write-up, especially since the school's HQ is in Sebring...AND the Hongs are now itching to do the 3-day school. HINT-HINT!!!

Some other magazine

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/27/17 2:41 p.m.

Looks like a blast!

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
6/27/17 2:58 p.m.

GRM members 3 day school group buy discount?

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/9/17 10:26 a.m.

This pretty much sums up what an awesome experience (and what a badass, yet FUNNY motherberkeleyer Bobby is.) He's a Marine, and he's VERY serious about what he's teaching. You'll get no pat on the back and a "great try, sport," until you NAIL the manuevers CONSISTENTLY...even then, expect some light-hearted ball busting.

Sorry (not sorry) to keep going on about what a great experience this was. I'm working my ass off in the interest of being able to take a few days off for a 3-day school

Bobby Ore Stunt School

poopshovel again
7/9/17 10:29 a.m.

In reply to Armitage:

If you're serious about doing it, I'll be in touch whenever we do the three-day. If a couple hundred bucks makes the difference between you doing it and not doing it, I'm sure we can work something out.

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
7/9/17 12:01 p.m.

I am interested and think it would be awesome to have a whole bunch of GRMers together all at the same event. That said, I'm not going to be able to make it in 2017. I'm low on time off and fun budget as it is and still need to make time to do the ST Octane Academy (which I didn't know was even a thing until I got the invite in the mail the other day) and ChumpCar Road Atlanta in October. When were you thinking of going?

poopshovel again
7/9/17 4:48 p.m.

In reply to Armitage:

As soon as I can force myself to take a few days off.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
7/9/17 11:33 p.m.

sounds like a great time and you had a blast.

Canhel
Canhel New Spammer
1/23/20 2:50 a.m.

Wow,looks awesome. I also want learn to drift someday.

[canoe removed]

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x7s9oIMAzYghSrMMLrPrs2sTdakAQz3frDK4STRinTXivxcRewRKY5sUCCegzXG4