1 2 3 4 5
STM317
STM317 HalfDork
12/21/16 3:23 p.m.

Can 5 lug Camaro hubs be swapped on? That might open up your brake options.

After some googling, it looks like C5 hubs are the "go to" swap, with C5 ZO6 rotors.

java230
java230 Dork
12/21/16 3:52 p.m.

I used Centric rotors on my 4runner as the Hive suggested they were good. No issues with them them so far.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/16 4:00 p.m.

Love it. Drove a buddy's when the CTS-v first came out and loved it.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
12/21/16 4:56 p.m.

In reply to STM317: I assumed someone must have a swap solution to the oddball 6 lug setup for no other reason than wheel options. I'll do some digging to see what that would entail in addition to wheels.

In reply to java230:

Good to hear someone thinks the Centric are kosher. They may be a good option on the cheap.

Will
Will UltraDork
12/21/16 5:10 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP:

I used Hawk HP+ on the front of my V and HPS on the back. Yes, it made lots of dust, and yes, on occasion they squeaked, but they were the best brakes I've ever driven.

Is the radiator the factory piece? Mine went right at 50k miles. The side tanks cracking is a known issue.

Nessumsar
Nessumsar New Reader
12/21/16 5:45 p.m.

Amazing find! Followed along in the other thread and this is great.

Centric is Stoptech. Use the 125.xxx prefix rotors, they are the high-carbon "super premium" rotors and use the Centric Posi-Quiet pads. My friend who works at Stoptech says that is the recipe for a good street car. You can jump up the Stoptech branded sport rotors and pads if the car will see some track time.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
12/21/16 7:12 p.m.

In reply to Nessumsar:

This is great info on the centric stuff thanks! Now to get that stuff moving my way. Between xmas and this car the UPS man will stay busy.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
12/21/16 9:58 p.m.

I used Centric on my 6.

It was just an appliance, but they were good

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/21/16 10:08 p.m.
Will wrote: Edit because I can't read good. Need to go to that Zoolander academy.

The school for ants?

84FSP
84FSP Dork
12/22/16 8:23 a.m.

So had a moment of distraction as I stared at the engine bay to start replacing plugs, ac tensioner, and belt. It occurred to me the new toy was piggy and we hadn't had our first wash/wax bonding session. It's better after a quick wax but will need a hand from my buddy to cut and buff it.

Brakes are on order ala Rock Auto and I have no excuse not to get into things today.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/22/16 8:27 a.m.

Nice find, thing looks (and sounds) like a freakin' beast!

84FSP
84FSP Dork
12/22/16 5:21 p.m.

Replaced hoses, AC belt, and AC tensioner today. Lots of general cleanup and de-rigging. Have to find the right male/female plug for the passenger side fan that is functioning with spade connectors currently...

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
12/22/16 6:17 p.m.

Had a chance to see this beast in person today.

All I can say is -giggity giggity.

It sounds like it wants to murder you at idle-so, perfect

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
12/23/16 7:08 a.m.

I'm in Cincinnati and you haven't let me drive it yet....

84FSP
84FSP Dork
12/23/16 7:44 a.m.

In reply to Plance1: Great to hear from another Cincy Gear head. Hmm - I wonder how many GRM'rs are active here in Cinci? Do you ever get down to Cars and Coffee at Fuel Coffee Shop on 52? It happens every Sat morning from 8-11am.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
12/23/16 10:17 a.m.
84FSP wrote: In reply to Plance1: Great to hear from another Cincy Gear head. Hmm - I wonder how many GRM'rs are active here in Cinci? Do you ever get down to Cars and Coffee at Fuel Coffee Shop on 52? It happens every Sat morning from 8-11am.

No, don't know much about that, I imagine no one will be there tomorrow?

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
12/23/16 11:49 a.m.

Another Cincinnatian here. I've been to the cars and coffee, usually on two wheels. I'd love to see this beast in person

84FSP
84FSP Dork
12/23/16 12:08 p.m.

Hoping to have it back together for an inaugural C&C visit tomorrow if I can sneak out for an hr.

Santa was good to me and Mr Brown brought the new front Brembo.

Gonna wait till the whole brake setup arrives before I tear into that though.

Just talked to the dealer and the special order lower coolant hose came in this afternoon so I should be able to get that buttoned up. I yanked the radiator and fan setup on some GRM advice to inspect closely. Got them cleaned up and they look to be in perfect shape. Having them out made the AC Tensioner and Serp belt install MUCH easier.

I'm hoping I can get the door lock actuators in - at least the Drivers side as well today.

Forgot to order the new conmnector for the fan to get rid of this spade bit nonsense... Doh

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
12/23/16 12:40 p.m.
eastsidemav wrote: Another Cincinnatian here. I've been to the cars and coffee, usually on two wheels. I'd love to see this beast in person

Sounds like a cincy crew meet up could be in order.

Cars & Coffee or a brewery or something?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/23/16 12:42 p.m.
84FSP wrote: A number of my attempted car purchases have fallen thru over the last year in my quest for the next fast daily driver. (...)

After reading all that, I believe you started your wall of text wrong. It should have been:

84FSP wrote: Dear Grassroots Motorsports, I never would have believed it could happen to me, until(...)
84FSP
84FSP Dork
12/23/16 7:00 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

Hah - true story that. Attempting to be most positive have a new toy self

Finished the hose replacement and filled up the coolant system only to find I may have a pissy radiator after all. Apparent they grease and grime was holding it together.

Finished both door actuators so finally have the power locks up and running.

Step by step....

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/24/16 7:28 a.m.
84FSP wrote: Step by step....

Day by day

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
12/24/16 8:08 a.m.

I'm going to this cars and coffee thing but I might not get there till 10. I assume because of weather and holiday and my lateness there will be few people there. But screw it I'm still going damn it!

84FSP
84FSP Dork
12/24/16 8:18 a.m.

In reply to plance1:

I'm told it's cancelled this morning due to the holiday. Sorry for the bad info. I'm game for the next available saturday session though.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
12/24/16 10:08 a.m.

Yes, I drove down there and it was in fact cancelled. This is so sad because my psychotherapist, parole officer, pastor and some newly acquired friends from Homeland Security all say the same thing....that I should get out more and make some new friends.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Es0EiIimoAA5LEMZQ8L3WacrdozUc3KB75EdVBrebOJWqsrUwrRZ3g1zY4DCya7O