1 2 3 4 5
Cotton
Cotton UberDork
3/9/17 11:57 a.m.

anxiously awaiting dyno results!

84FSP
84FSP Dork
3/9/17 12:20 p.m.

Supposedly to start around 3... This is ruining my productivity today.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/9/17 1:01 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP:

You aren't the only one...

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
3/9/17 6:25 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP:

Great

759NRNG
759NRNG New Reader
3/9/17 7:09 p.m.

84FSP....great thread check this https://www.youtube.com/embed/5bnCE0McTdc

759NRNG
759NRNG New Reader
3/9/17 7:18 p.m.

sorry 84FSP I've been skimming this thread. Almost a year ago I ended up putting "brake performance" drilled and slotted, rotors /pads on my 2ndgen 'V' for little over $400/corner, so far so good , I'm not trackin' it, just keepin' ahead of the must5.0,charger/challengers, altima's ,dodge cummins....

tripp
tripp Reader
3/10/17 4:35 a.m.

Very nice purchase an early model cts v is on my car bucket list but it will need to be down the road

759NRNG
759NRNG New Reader
3/10/17 8:51 a.m.

84FSP, that was little over $400 for ALL FOUR corners from 'Brake Perfomance' .....my bad....Wreath n Crest rulz!!!

84FSP
84FSP Dork
3/11/17 8:53 a.m.

Results are in and I haz a sad . Our suspicions that the 7ltr heart had been swapped for something else are confirmed.

It put down 358hp and 367tq which makes it ~50hp hotter than stock which would align with having a cam, exhaust, and intake but otherwise stock.

I had concerns at a number of little things but it was running so poorly that it was hard to tell what was going on.

When the motor was out and pan was off we found

-Aftermarket crank (baffle/windage tray had to be massaged to fit)

-Aftermarket rods

-ARP fasteners

Now for the good news

-It's a happy V now and has a speed density tune

-Found that the MAF and both knock sensors were bad

-Is in the paint shop now getting the front bumper and drivers door shot

For the time being it will be driven as is while I track down my next mods on the cheap.

Next things on the list

-Find a boneyard car to track down a bunch of things

-Better back seat (leather was unloved)

-Various underbody plastics to replace damaged/missing ones

-shiftknob/boot

-Refinish the stock wheels or replace ones (6 lug is no fun)

-Add longer front studs +5mm spacer to run 275/35/18 square

-Lower the beast a bit as it's a biut the 4x4 currently

-Find a different used intake manifold as there are a few OEM ones that add 30+hp

-Find good used set of injectors 36-38lb as the current 29lb are at 98% duty cycle

-Find headers as apparently the factory exhaust manifolds are really choking out the hp

-Would love stainless but the steel pacesetter longtubes are ~275

Will post some painted and buffed pics next weekend when I pick her up.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
3/11/17 9:17 a.m.
759NRNG wrote: 84FSP, that was little over $400 for ALL FOUR corners from 'Brake Perfomance' .....my bad....Wreath n Crest rulz!!!

That's about what I put in mine. I really wanted to go Brembo blanks but apparently they were unobtainable when I was looking.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
3/11/17 10:40 a.m.

Rides for fellow grmers?

84FSP
84FSP Dork
3/11/17 11:49 a.m.

Absolutely game for some shenanigans as soon as I get her back in the next 1.5 weeks. It's at the paint shop and will get a cut/buff after.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
3/11/17 3:48 p.m.

Need to pick ur brain on this paint shop...

84FSP
84FSP Dork
3/11/17 4:55 p.m.

My buddy Andy in Lancaster Oh helps me here. He uses a couple places but has leverage as he always has a few things getting painted for his used car lot or idiot friends

It seems that most paint guys are capable of great work but don't necessarily choose to do so. I drive/tow 2hrs to cbus out of frustration with this issue.

759NRNG
759NRNG New Reader
3/11/17 5:22 p.m.

84FSP...in the back of your mind did you think this deal was too good to be true? sorry about the switcheroo....time for a blower and headers?

84FSP
84FSP Dork
3/11/17 5:29 p.m.

No worries as I'm all good with the deal. I had made the deal before knowing anything about the "built engine". While I had definitively gotten my hopes up the deal is still kosher as I'm into it for what I could flip it for. I am admittedly a perfectionist that could be 2k less into it if I didn't want it "right".

Did some math and the 500+hp is ~1k away. Looking forward to rocking it as is for the next 6-12 months

docwyte
docwyte Dork
3/12/17 11:30 a.m.

Wow, that's basically none stock ls6 power. You sure it has an aftermarket cam in it?

Really odd it has an aftermarket crank yet makes such a small amount of hp. You figure you wouldn't replace a crank without having a cam, ported heads etc etc

84FSP
84FSP Dork
3/12/17 11:50 a.m.

Weirdness for sure. On the brightside plenty of room for improvement. Gotta onto the various LS forums and find the bolt on go fast goodies.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
3/12/17 12:14 p.m.
Appleseed wrote on page 1: See what being patient gets you?

No, what does it get me? I can't wait - please tell me now!

759NRNG
759NRNG New Reader
3/12/17 4:48 p.m.

So....the path forward is naturally aspirated....for now???

84FSP
84FSP Dork
3/12/17 5:36 p.m.
759NRNG wrote: So....the path forward is naturally aspirated....for now???

Current plan is to find the cheap 100-150hp via better breathing/fueling.

Open to other options but the Lisa blowers require hood chopping and I'm not sure how you deal with turbos in that engine bay.

759NRNG
759NRNG New Reader
3/12/17 5:59 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP: the ytube I shared above is running a Magnuson SC with Kooks with no body mods

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/13/17 1:04 a.m.
84FSP wrote:
759NRNG wrote: So....the path forward is naturally aspirated....for now???
Current plan is to find the cheap 100-150hp via better breathing/fueling. Open to other options but the Lisa blowers require hood chopping and I'm not sure how you deal with turbos in that engine bay.

How do you think the diff will like that extra power?

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
3/13/17 7:14 a.m.

There is a tipping point, but the diff can handle power if you can control wheel hop.

Most of the threads on exploding diffs usually have stock or mild mod power (400whp) and wheel hop or lauching at the strip.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
3/13/17 7:29 a.m.

In reply to Strike_Zero:

Agreed! There are a couple different generations of the factory diff as GM warrantied a bunch of them and had to make improvements. I have the latest iteration which had the fewest issues (still not impervious). I also applied a two pronged approach to diff protection while it was apart.

-Fresh rear cradle bushings along with additional Poly bushings/spacers that significantly limit movement

-Fresh OE diff/pinion bushing combined with a Poly bushing and c shaped diff brace that surrounds the diff housing

This won't be fool proof and is a known weak link. I'm less worried about smoky burnout track launches as this is a daily that will see more high speed commute than stoplight action.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CE0bYM1859oP0OVCCxYGA5HjDJfk6ouQ08ih7Gd48yi2lxZrpvUWBigVaeqI87D4