plance1
plance1 Dork
5/19/12 2:55 p.m.

Smoke started coming from the console for no apparent reason. I took off for the fire department which is right down the street but by the time I got there the smoke was gone. What the heck?

wrek496
wrek496 New Reader
5/19/12 3:15 p.m.

Thank you for reminding me I need a new extinguisher in my car. I'm assuming you've disconnected the battery until further inspection.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
5/19/12 3:32 p.m.

shorted wire? what did the smoke smell like? electrical or mechanical/gasoline/oil.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/19/12 4:37 p.m.

HVAC blower resistor?

Pete240Z
Pete240Z UltraDork
5/19/12 4:54 p.m.

My niece's older Mazda6 just went up in flames in her driveway.

EvanR
EvanR Reader
5/19/12 5:20 p.m.

Is it the 740 with the fuse panel behind the ash tray? I've seen those burn several times, never with good results.

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
5/19/12 5:22 p.m.

first thought... mice took up residence and gnawed on wire insulation, happened to me before w/o the fire but trouble shooting was one berkeleying bitch

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/20/12 12:42 a.m.

Now THAT'S a prank.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic New Reader
5/20/12 3:50 a.m.

Always carry a 2LB BC dry chem marine fire extinguisher(two if its British or a VW) under one of the front seats. Its a lot of insurance for around $12.

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/20/12 6:21 a.m.

What did the smoke smell like? I'm presuming the car is cold, and there is a lot of wiring where the smoke was, so electrical seems likely. Particularly if the smell is electrical, what electrical item currently does not work, and did it before?

I would not put it back in the garage, near the house, or near anything else of value. If it decides to start up again while you're puzzling you want to limit your losses. If you're going to let it sit unattended (it sounds like you were about to go somewhere) pull a battery cable before you go.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/20/12 7:50 a.m.

Assuming it was really smoke (A/C refrigerant has been confused with smoke before) then something in the console area wiring harness has rubbed through.

What concerns me the most: if it smoked then there's not a fuse protecting the circuit. That's bad news and is a REAL fire just waiting to happen. I agree, pull a battery cable if the car's going to be unattended.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
5/20/12 10:40 a.m.

Yep. I've had dash fires. Probably electrical. Pull the battery until you know whats up.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/12 10:50 a.m.

or insure the E36 M3 out of it and let it burn baby, burn!

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
5/20/12 12:34 p.m.

After I had my Mini in pieces for over a year, when I got it all back together and went on its maiden voyage I made it about 3/4 of a mile from the house when the amount of smoke coming out of my steering column began to worry me. I shut it off and flipped the battery cutoff switch and coasted to a stop and pulled off the road. Got it towed home because I sure wasn't going to put any electrical power into the car until I figured out what had gone wrong.

I ended up with several burned and damaged wires and that was it, but it could've gone bad quickly.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nS1jF7ZuVwd7q34MwqoQJ8jsZbGlBLNQFgcdtDymERSjKpZ472NemtdAEn0QFYo9