BrokeItAgain
BrokeItAgain None
6/4/17 8:00 a.m.

Hey Folks! I was a member here several years ago, but it's been so long that I even forgot my old username, let alone still have the email account. I was a rallycrosser, and I had a blast, but life got in the way. Want to get back in it again, and I'm actually being given an 05 neon. Daughter graduated UC, got a job, and is giving me her old car. The front end has to be totally rebuilt, so nobody will take it as a tradein and give her anything for it. She doesn't want to spend the money to fix it, so "Happy Early Father's Day!" lol

Haven't rallycrossed in forever though. The other thing is, my (new, understanding, and cool) wife wants me to build it to race, but to be a show car too. Not fancy and glossy, but well-thought out and not trashy. Craftsmanship, not high-dollar parts type stuff.

I raced RSF class back in the stone age, and I've looked at the rules, but so much has changed that I'm not even sure where to start on even deciding what class I want to run, let alone know what I can do to the car beyond stock. Never have been good at reading the rules and figuring it out.

I'll post a pia as soon as I get the car home.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
6/4/17 8:28 a.m.

Look at the prepared rules for a couple of reasons. First is that they force you to keep the car semi sane instead of moving toward a stripped out dirt monster like mod. Second is that stock is just brutally restrictive. Third is that prepared is usually the least represented class and I like to see the classes all populated at nationals. Locally you can always bump to mod if there is more competition and have a good time.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
6/4/17 8:43 a.m.

I agree, PF is probably the way to go if you want to make a few changes, but don't want to get extreme. You can improve the suspension and run rally tires in Prepared. Stock is technically very restrictive, but local groups will probably be a little more lax about what you can get away with, as long as it doesn't constitute a performance improvement.

BrokeItAgain
BrokeItAgain New Reader
6/4/17 9:28 a.m.

Okay cool. So if I'm reading the rules right, under prepared, no internal engine mods, like cam or performance heads and intake or am I wrong? Wife is a racing nut too, and she's pretty good with cars also . Comes from marrying a German immigrant I guess. Lol She was born to a WRC Nut.

BrokeItAgain
BrokeItAgain New Reader
6/4/17 9:31 a.m.

Also, how screwed am I with it being an auto? Knees just can't take a clutch anymore. Not for another 6 years till they will replace them.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
6/4/17 9:54 a.m.

As long as the auto can take it, you won't be give up too much once you get good at LFB. Force it to stay in second and give it hell.

BrokeItAgain
BrokeItAgain New Reader
6/4/17 10:12 a.m.

I've rebuilt more than a few autos in my time. Lol They were for my Dad's drag cars back in the 80's though. Give me a service manual and I'm covered.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
6/4/17 12:15 p.m.

Is it the 3spd or 4spd auto? Either one has ways to optimize gearing if you care. Trans cooler is a good idea either way.

BrokeItAgain
BrokeItAgain New Reader
6/4/17 12:21 p.m.

Not sure yet. Heck, I've never even seen the car in person! Lol

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
6/4/17 3:57 p.m.

In Rallycross the auto actually isnt going to be much of a penalty and as mentioned you can work your left foot braking

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
6/4/17 4:14 p.m.

In our region, we've got a guy in PF with a 2nd gen neon, his automatic transmission doesn't seem to be a problem. I've run autos in the past, and may do so again in the future. I think it should be a 4 speed. Initially at least, I'd suggest leave it in 2nd, and see how it does.

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Dork
6/4/17 4:15 p.m.

"Stock is technically very restrictive."

Stock is just an excuse to wear a helmet . . .

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
6/4/17 5:35 p.m.
Vigo wrote: Is it the 3spd or 4spd auto? Either one has ways to optimize gearing if you care. Trans cooler is a good idea either way.

'05 would be the 4 speed 40TE.

BrokeItAgain
BrokeItAgain New Reader
6/4/17 5:39 p.m.

Well, since my wife is on board, I probably will be able to spend a lot more time and money on it. We don't even own a TV anymore. It got taken out by lightning a couple of years ago, and we said we'd replace it if there was something we wanted to see. Still no TV. Lol

BrokeItAgain
BrokeItAgain New Reader
6/4/17 7:56 p.m.
Vigo wrote: Is it the 3spd or 4spd auto? Either one has ways to optimize gearing if you care. Trans cooler is a good idea either way.

Trans cooler is a given. Any links or books to get the info on gearing changes?

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
6/4/17 8:09 p.m.

IMO, autos are great for rallycross. It saves a lot of moments where you have to debate a downshift to 1st or end up in too high a gear.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
6/4/17 9:39 p.m.
Any links or books to get the info on gearing changes?

Not really, but there are weirdos like me who have mentally compiled pretty much all of it. Yours being a 4spd in a 2.0L car, there isnt anything MUCH shorter than your stock ratio (you probably have ~3.9:1 diff and shortest stock possibility is 4.28) but if you wanted to go taller you certainly could. If it were a 3spd you could shorten the gearing quite a bit, but that's not applicable to your 2005 model apparently.

BrokeItAgain
BrokeItAgain New Reader
6/5/17 8:17 p.m.

Anything helps on a holeshot. Lol And I'm doing everything myself, so no problems there. Do you think raising the stall on converter would help any?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D9DwaXYzxYUJqpbtPcJ0cn5i4OLxdGBSY5MGe02fFRbAk7Y7hGpzR2m1woXIMWii