1 2
Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/21/19 7:00 a.m.

I saw this article about 9000 C7s sitting on dealer lots right now, which of course is giving me day dreams on a snowy day in NH... since I'm sure a C7 would be a wonderful winter car.   I wonder what kind of deals are out there.

It surprised me to think the C7 has been in production for 6 years now and 180,000 of them have been made. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/21/19 7:10 a.m.

They have grown on me since they were released. 

When they first came out I thought, "God, what kind of terrible, plastic, chintzy wanna be Ferrari is that thing." The more I see, the more I like. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
2/21/19 7:27 a.m.

Do it.  Then One Lap it.  Then crash it, rip the body off, and put your P1800 body on top of what's left.

djsilver
djsilver Reader
2/21/19 7:42 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Do it.  Then One Lap it.  Then crash it, rip the body off, and put your P1800 body on top of what's left.

I think you'd need four P1800's to cover a C7 chassis.  Offset cut by length and width and pieced together to make it long and wide enough.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/21/19 7:47 a.m.

Great car, just expensive up front and of course it's as hungry for consumables as any car with such levels of grip and power would be. It's a car I might buy with my own money if I could afford one.

Maybe not the prettiest but I could get over it, or modify it to suit...

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
2/21/19 7:47 a.m.

Hideous. 

I don’t normally put much weight on styling, but the c7 is too ugly to own. They just kept styling the thing, “we can find more places for more creases and fake vents, WE JUST NEED TO LOOK HARDER!”

NickD
NickD UberDork
2/21/19 7:48 a.m.

Funny you should ask, I wrote a review on here 2 years ago

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/quick-drive-c7-corvette-z51/130144/page1/

The Z06s and ZR1s are not particularly good. The base, Z51 and Grand Sport are really good

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/21/19 7:52 a.m.

These cars look really good in dark colors and alright in light colors. 

In reply to NickD :

Why aren't the Z07 and ZR1 not particularly good? 

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
2/21/19 7:56 a.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

I could be wrong but I though most of the vents where actually functional?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/21/19 7:58 a.m.

Two big advantages over the C5 and C6. First is the interior. It's better. How much better is up to the reader. Second is the electronics. The traction and stability control are very good if that sort of thing matters to you. For those two reasons I think they're better at being a car than previous cars, but not necessarily better at being a track/AX car. The high power versions are an exercise in more motor than you can use (most of the time) and nowhere to put the heat if you do. 

Out in California they're running a spec Corvette series for the C5 and it looks good. I'm looking forward to C6's and C7's having similar classing in the future. 

NickD
NickD UberDork
2/21/19 8:03 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Why aren't the Z07 and ZR1 not particularly good? 

They have repeatedly underperformed in comparisons. The Z06/Z07 was slower per lap compared to the older, heavier, less powerful GT-R because the rear spoiler added a ton of drag. Remove the spoiler and it couldn't put the power down. The Z06/Z07 has notorious overheating issues (causing the test Z07 to break down during Motor Trend's Best Drivers Car testing and go into Limp Mode after a lap or two around Laguna Seca). The biggest complaint of the Z06/Z07 was its inability to put the power down, leading to at least one reviewer calling it "unfinished and uncontrollable". Then, GM went and added more power for the ZR-1, which suffers the same criticism that it's difficult to control and unable to apply the power to the ground. 

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
2/21/19 8:29 a.m.

You know they fixed the over-heating thing at least two years ago, right?  And the ZR-1 is faster than the Ford GT at VIR.  So that tells me it’s pretty capable.

NickD
NickD UberDork
2/21/19 8:35 a.m.

In reply to racerfink :

It was slower at Laguna Seca than the Viper ACR. Randy Pobst set the record there in the C6 ZR1 and then the Viper and was driving the C7 ZR1 and was slower than the Viper 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/21/19 8:36 a.m.

I think they look pretty great.

OK, maybe not THAT one, but in general. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
2/21/19 8:38 a.m.

Just saying for a manual the pricing is insane right now.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/21/19 8:40 a.m.
wearymicrobe said:

WOW! That's pretty insane. 

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
2/21/19 9:02 a.m.

When they were new on the streets they really stood out, but now that they've been around for a while I hardly notice them anymore.

That is, unless they have a modified exhaust. God do those things sound glorious with a full exhaust!

My favorite color in these is white oddly enough, but I do like the darker colors as well.

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
2/21/19 9:15 a.m.

Last time I browsed around it seems like C7s have always had a pretty significant discount off of the lot.  But in a year hopefully there will be more than what's listed above - that's real bargain, especially compared to something like a Cayman...

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/21/19 9:59 a.m.
yupididit said:

These cars look really good in dark colors and alright in light colors. 

came here to say that IMO the rear is super hideous, and black is the only color they look OK in.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/21/19 10:02 a.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Er.

Ma.

Gerd.

depending on payout of 2018 bonus, that could be in the ballpark for my new DD.  so the question i have to ponder now is:

will i live twice?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/21/19 10:03 a.m.
z31maniac said:
wearymicrobe said:

WOW! That's pretty insane. 

And Kerbeck is about an hour away from me.  Of course, I still have to wrap my head around the idea of paying that much for a car. Any car. No matter how good a car it may be.  

An 1800 body on a Vette chassis has been done, although the donor was a C4.  Yes - a lot of stretching was required. I've seen the car in person at Carlisle (where this photo was taken) and it was displayed with a photo album documenting the build process.

I'd rather keep the ES closer to original.  

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
2/21/19 11:48 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Er.

Ma.

Gerd.

depending on payout of 2018 bonus, that could be in the ballpark for my new DD.  so the question i have to ponder now is:

will i live twice?

They have well optioned Grand Sports in the 50K range I think. I have been shopping 911s/Turbos now for month now and just finding beat up crap a Grand Sport will eat a new 991.2S for lunch and I can make another 200hp for minimal money. I am sorely tempted right now. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/21/19 11:52 a.m.

It's just a big stupid fast Miata. Do it. 

NickD
NickD UberDork
2/21/19 11:56 a.m.

Honestly, I advise people to consider the 8-speed auto. I know we love manuals here, but the 8-speed automatic in these is absolutely amazing. The WOT redline upshifts with it are amazing. A friend of mine who autocrosses BMWs took an auto Corvette for a rip and said "Wow, GM builds an awesome DCT." My response was "What if I told you it was a slushbox torque converter auto?" He refused to believe me until he looked it up.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/21/19 12:48 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

On a Z51 and up, those vents aren't fake. Not one.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mRFYI2p2wG1GuD7O0ibvPvbKZ4iysgOivsQG6JXNcXqN5qBRShSICmG1hia5s7YD