1 2 3
racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
12/6/19 10:03 a.m.

I've owned more than a few Miatas, and the NC is by far my favorite.  It's the only one to me that's a real car.  I know the ND is far better out of the box, but it's a car I simply cannot get comfortable in, and it always feels like you are driving a scale model instead of the real version.  It does look and drive nice, but I could never own one.  A NC on a proper suspension though is a great car also, and very much underrated. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
12/6/19 10:11 a.m.

The next question should be how many Miatas have we owned collectively on the forum? 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/19 10:19 a.m.
Appleseed said:

The front of the ND is the best Miata.

The back end of the ND is the worst.

Drops and pinches too much for my eyes, in much the same way 90s Taurus' or Buick Rivieras do. It needs a bigger booty.

The ND was designed as the RF. This is clear when looking at that booty. A number of lines that don’t make any sense resolve themselves with the roof. 

I think this crowd will appreciate my plans for the RF this weekend. If an emergency trailer run to SLC doesn’t get in the way. 

Keith Tanner
12/6/19 10:20 a.m.
Andy Neuman said:

The next question should be how many Miatas have we owned collectively on the forum? 

We figured that Flyin’ Miata was good for 52 or so. Not counting salvage cars.  And there have been at least three more added to that tally since. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/19 10:29 a.m.
Andy Neuman said:

Might be smaller than you think, since the one I owned has been owned by at least 3 forum members... 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
12/6/19 10:43 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

I've had 13 that I can find pictures of

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
12/6/19 10:50 a.m.

I'm on Miata #3 - all na's plus 1 nb parts car.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
12/6/19 11:17 a.m.

Weirdly, I have only wheeled the NA6 and NA8. Never driven an NB or NC (at least in anger, moved one around a parking lot once) or an ND. 

When it comes to stock, I much prefer the NA6 over the NA8. The NA8 felt slower (a good lesson on powertrain dynamics and how they color your perceptions) and just less enjoyable. I honestly couldn't go back to driving a stock one again though, now that I've been living with my 245whp Rotrex-blown BP-4W swap.

calteg
calteg Dork
12/6/19 6:11 p.m.

Whenever people hate on the third gen, I always remember a quote: "The NC is a phenominal chassis in search of an engine."   

Mark me down for an even 10 miatas owned, though currently i only have a 94R

Keith Tanner
12/6/19 6:20 p.m.

That's a decent description. I think an MZR turned up to 11 could be fun, but essentially it's just a functional engine with not a whole lot of character and a tendency to go boom (in comparison to the amount of sheer abuse a BP will take). The Brits have done all sorts of crazy things to the MZR/Duratec and I want to try one. They never use anything bigger than the 2.0, though - I think it's the long stroke of the 2.3/2.5 that turns them off.

ChasH
ChasH Reader
12/6/19 7:23 p.m.

I drove a very early NA Miata when they first came out. I remember being impressed, but I don't remember the details. I currently own a '99 10AE and '19 30AE.  They are both a lot fun to drive, but the '99 is more fun and better looking.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
12/6/19 9:13 p.m.

[Regular Car Reviews voice]: Which Miata is best Miata? "My Miata is best Miata because actually not a Miata at all but a Ford with Mazda chassis and a turbo hnnnnnnnnngh..."

cheeky

Seriously, though...never owned or driven a Miata (or a Capri, for that matter) but I imagine each of them is someone's favorite, and there's no wrong answer really.

jwagner
jwagner New Reader
12/6/19 11:07 p.m.

I've got to throw in with Rodan and Keith - had a '07 MS-R and loved the car.  It was a rare combination of stellar handling and a good driver on the street and highway.  The stock NC, not so much.  I can see why people diss them, the suspension was way too compliant.

Got a '94R now and I think that's the "purest" Miata, but a lousy highway car.  Also had a '99 sport and a 1st gen S2K and I wish I still had the MS-R, that was my favorite of the bunch.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/7/19 5:33 a.m.

NB for me.  I've always thought that was one of the best looking cars period, not just of Miata variants. While I've never driven an NC, the PRHT has almost made me buy one. My ex- has a ND and I've driven it a little. The RF is a good looking car, but I am still getting past my disappointment that it isn't a PRHT sequel. 

Of course, I already have one of the Miata inspirations - a Spitfire. Which I love (and has more cargo room), so the chances of me ever actually buying a Miata of any generation are slim.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/7/19 5:41 a.m.

"So what's your favorite generation of Miata?"

Yes.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
12/7/19 5:57 a.m.

I'm a bit late to this party but I've driven and owned a LOT of Miatai.  Started with a stock 97 I prepped into about 90% of a complete CSP car and on course it's phenomenal but as a weekend toy I took it too far.

Then I had a 93 with a Monster 5.0 swap and it was amusing but both slower around an autocross course than the 97 AND worse to live with on a daily basis.

Then a 99 with an Ecotec swap.  Track car and pretty focused toward that but not what I needed for DD/autocross use.

Then a bone stock 06 which was.......fine.

And now my fully STR prepped 06.  Oh mamma this thing is the business!  The engine is vastly better with intake/header/exhaust/tune.  The suspension is MCS ridiculousness.  The brakes are epic.  It's reasonably comfortable with cruise, ac, leather, keyless, and all that.  It's powerful enough to walk away from most traffic.  I won my class (T4) at a TT regional this year.

So while the ND is quicker, it's a good deal more money and for now I'm very happy with my black NC.

SuperDave
SuperDave New Reader
12/7/19 6:01 a.m.

Bought a loaded NB new.  Thought it was the best looking car ever.  It was an automatic as a concession to my Mrs.  Real!y didn't mind the automatic for the way we used it.  The current NA8 Base model is my favorite of the two.  Other than steering it's got power nothing and honestly looks pretty sad.  245,000 miles and not done by a long shot.

paul_s0
paul_s0 Reader
12/7/19 8:16 a.m.

I loved my NA, never drove the other generations to compare, but if I could have another car for purely playing, it'd be an NA.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
12/7/19 8:36 a.m.

I have one 1.6NA.

Not a fan.

BenB
BenB Reader
12/7/19 10:31 a.m.

I've always preferred the NB2 without the Tupperware. 

gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/7/19 3:37 p.m.

This is super relevant to my interests right now. After the BMW sells I am either buying a miata to drive and work on with my 10 year old daughter to turn over to her when she turns 16 plus a motorcycle of origin TBD. Or a 996 911 with relatively high miles on it. Its academic until the M5 moves out and I have some cash but I have narrowed my plans down to one of these two paths so reading all this input has really helped my decision as to WHICH ONE to choose. I'm leaning strongly NB but whatever it is, will have a manual trans.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ggBERivYOghfOvh1DQKTDBq47XBQndLIR5HOzdr1rKrVntswjTKiydbY8XK9r5vm