1 2 3
jere
jere HalfDork
1/24/14 11:05 a.m.
Matthew Huizing wrote:
ProDarwin wrote: Saturns have pretty good rust protection on them, and the body obviously doesn't rust. The only part I'd worry about is the rear door jambs, which will be susceptible north of central VA, due to a weatherstripping/trim issue. This is usually just 1st gen cars.
The frame rail under the driver's seat rusted out on my 1995 SW2 originally from Maine. It may have happened from leaking from inside the car. I pulled back the carpet and found holes in the floor right above the frame rusted. That car was rusty all over the chassis and most of it wasn't very obvious. I ended up cutting off was left of the bolts on the front control arms. My formerly Californian 1995 SC2 is still doing okay--the subframe is rusting a bit--despite cleaning it and repainting it back around 2007.

That info makes me nervous, saturns must be better at hiding rust with all the plastic. I am going to have to check out some local one just to see where they rust the worst.

jere
jere HalfDork
1/24/14 11:08 a.m.

Lots of good advice here thanks guys!

KiwiMtnClmbr
KiwiMtnClmbr New Reader
3/7/24 11:55 a.m.

Necro post resurrection but there were lots of specific locale comments about Kentucky...

Looking at buying a short bus in Fort Mitchell which is basically Cincinnatti. I see that earlier folks said Lexington was ok but Louisville further west is not. Lexington is what an hour due south of Cinicinnati?

It's a 23 yo kept outside municipal vehicle. Seller rep says it's fine, but it's an auction and he literally responded with one sentence to my 5 questions and sent an inspection report from last year that consisted of lots of check marks and zero real information of any kind.

I see a ton of rust on the fold down steps for engine access and even the feet on the seats inside... but does this translate to frame and parts rust?

I don't need this thing. I want one this size with this engine but I can and will wait for southern VA or GA if this ain't worth my time. I don't have the hours in my life to wire wheel and do 4 coats on a full remediation.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
3/7/24 12:05 p.m.

Lugnuts look like hell on that bus, likely the rest does too.  Its not like used school busses are a super hot commodity.  Wait for a southern one if this guy wont give you straight answers.

KiwiMtnClmbr
KiwiMtnClmbr New Reader
3/7/24 12:09 p.m.

Yeah those nuts are scary - I forgot to call them out but it's pretty obvious. frown

This size/length bus pre-emissions controls in 2004 are getting harder to find post-C but yeah. Two more nay votes and I pass on this!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
I9dLJhbgoYEWwlTivsAHlFGgSfCfhWylg6bK4uafhYCoMkgkRNGY2VBnOKyNwLJs