1 2
qdseeker
qdseeker New Reader
1/6/11 6:32 p.m.

It was my mechanic's car back through the 90's. He's the one I bought my current CVCC from and he built the front air dam and did the EK engine swap for me.

Enjoy....

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
1/6/11 7:00 p.m.

I'm such a sucker for a good rising sun paint job. That thing's hotter than Haites.

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
1/6/11 7:07 p.m.

Nice car.

The wheels like perfect on it at speed...

I did this cause I'm a nerd.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Reader
1/6/11 7:53 p.m.

I worked for a little Honda dealer in nj way back when that was new.... I was the radio and wheel installer back then

corytate
corytate New Reader
1/6/11 7:57 p.m.

such a lovely car. amazing job!

EricM
EricM Dork
1/6/11 8:09 p.m.

i remember that car winning at the runoffs a number of years ago. Back when speed showed stuff that wasn't snascar

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
1/6/11 9:29 p.m.

Adam Malley, 5-time SCCA National Amateur Champion.

http://www.mallenalley.com/ourbackground/adammalley.html

That car is a legend in Atlanta Region SCCA.

qdseeker
qdseeker New Reader
1/6/11 9:44 p.m.

^^^ Yep. Every year he won, SCCA would put more restrictions on him to bump him into a higher up class and he conformed to those and would win anyway, lolol. We're working on getting some video (in-car and out) transferred from VHS to digital for uploading as well.

friedgreencorrado
1/6/11 10:09 p.m.
qdseeker wrote: ^^^ Yep. Every year he won, SCCA would put more restrictions on him to bump him into a higher up class and he conformed to those and would win anyway, lolol. We're working on getting some video (in-car and out) transferred from VHS to digital for uploading as well.

Make a big noise when that video project's finished..especially if any of it is from the 2003 Runoffs.

qdseeker
qdseeker New Reader
1/6/11 10:18 p.m.

If memory serves correct, he wasn't racing then. I believe the videos were from the 90s.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/6/11 10:39 p.m.
EricM wrote: i remember that car winning at the runoffs a number of years ago. Back when speed showed stuff that wasn't snascar

I remember when he used to autocross it--or at least a very, very similar Civic.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
1/6/11 11:20 p.m.

That is really cute.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
1/7/11 12:14 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
EricM wrote: i remember that car winning at the runoffs a number of years ago. Back when speed showed stuff that wasn't snascar
I remember when he used to autocross it--or at least a very, very similar Civic.

David, IIRC Adam ran "that" Civic and only "that" Civic from the day he bought until the day he retired it.

I met Adam when he was wrenching at a local Honda dealer and the car was his DD. He performed some dealer work on my Crx and (on the side) installed a sweet Mugen lsd for me. We started talking about autocrossing as he was curious about the mods I was putting on the car; he was really stoked about finding somewhere he could have legal fun with his car.

A few years later, he was a national Solo champ in "that" car on what may have been his first trip to Kansas. Not long after, he had prepped "that" car for road racing and earned his other national crowns.

Qdseeker, you have a bit of history in your garage. That history may be obscure by some standards, but you have a really sweet ride built by a very talented man.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/7/11 9:13 a.m.

Adam was my driving instructor at an SCCA school at Roebling many years ago. What a nut. He had great stories and seemed to have fun pretty much doing anything. Really enjoyed that school.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/7/11 9:46 a.m.

It would be cool if the car absorbed some of the PO's driving talent over the years and is now like Herbie, and goes faster than you ever though possible.

qdseeker
qdseeker New Reader
1/7/11 4:44 p.m.
oldsaw wrote: David, IIRC Adam ran "that" Civic and only "that" Civic from the day he bought until the day he retired it.

oldsaw, Adam had two different race cars. The black one in one picture is the rising sun car after the paint job. He had another 1200 before the rising sun.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
1/7/11 5:20 p.m.
qdseeker wrote:

that yellow car (sprite? I know, I should be ashamed) looks so happy

dmidknight
dmidknight New Reader
1/7/11 6:04 p.m.

Yes, Bugeye Sprite. Indeed a happy car.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
1/7/11 9:35 p.m.
qdseeker wrote:
oldsaw wrote: David, IIRC Adam ran "that" Civic and only "that" Civic from the day he bought until the day he retired it.
oldsaw, Adam had two different race cars. The black one in one picture is the rising sun car after the paint job. He had another 1200 before the rising sun.

Thanks for the update!

Was the white 1200 the original? That's what he had when I first met him and it was the car he took to his Solo greatness.

friedgreencorrado
1/7/11 10:56 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote:
qdseeker wrote: If memory serves correct, he wasn't racing then. I believe the videos were from the 90s.
The 90s videos would rock! The reason I mentioned the 03 Runoffs is because that IIRC, that was his final reaction to the restrictions SCCA put on the car (that you mentioned previously). He won. http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=137461&FS=SCCA*

EDIT: And, yeah..part of the legend here is that it started off as his street car, won him an autoX National Championship..and then won The Runoffs four times after that. If it's true, that car should be in Honda USA's museum.

fasted58
fasted58 Dork
8/19/11 7:37 p.m.

canoe attack

Jerral
Jerral
3/8/13 8:25 a.m.

I worked with Adam at conyers honda , think he had honda goldwing pistons ,because they were hi rise dome . he had worked the head untill their was really no valve guide left in the ports , then started whittleing away at the valve stem itself , he had a real g meter , but still had his old one , a rubber band spring thing he came up with. The car was like he was on rails . At the time though he didnt like competing on track , he did the solo cone racing scca .

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
3/8/13 9:10 a.m.
fasted58 wrote: canoe attack

?????????

DoninMedford
DoninMedford New Reader
2/22/22 8:38 a.m.

This car is for sale in Vancouver BC for 4K. Just resurrecting this because someone may like it. NOT MINE!  Previous owners stripped the powertrain but the car is in pretty well intact. https://www.facebook.com/groups/527820337349425 It won a national championship in Auto-x then went on to circuits

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/22 9:03 a.m.

To me that is a $500 car. There is also more pieces missing than just the hood. I see at least part of a fender flair missing as well. 

The history of the car means nothing to me.  Should It?  Does the history of this car add value?  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M8AWu3vmVo4307sW8MlF7Up95WG3GrScQJsDugPLTtSlzSGgQUHjsIcfI6beAHRh