1 2
snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh New Reader
7/21/15 9:07 p.m.

Don't look for it to be any time soon. I just wish my battery hadn't died before the session where the Miata got more and more squirrelly trying to get away after I gave him the point-by.

http://youtu.be/BwtM4JNU4FM

RossD
RossD PowerDork
7/22/15 7:23 a.m.

Looks like a lot of fun!

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/22/15 8:05 a.m.

Yes!

...and please don't get tired of posting your videos. We don't get tired of watching them.

huggybear626
huggybear626 New Reader
7/22/15 9:00 a.m.

That miata didn't happen to be white with a silver top did it?

milkmandan
milkmandan New Reader
7/22/15 9:25 a.m.
snailmont5oh wrote: Don't look for it to be any time soon. I just wish my battery hadn't died before the session where the Miata got more and more squirrelly trying to get away after I gave him the point-by. http://youtu.be/BwtM4JNU4FM

Damn, I was hoping you had video of that! I didn't expect your car to suddenly have brakes. You can see my half of that battle here, starting at about 8:04: https://youtu.be/0SuQc9UVfUY?t=8m4s

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
7/22/15 9:47 a.m.

Keep em coming!! Your car sound so good!!

Jamey_from_Legal
Jamey_from_Legal Reader
7/22/15 12:20 p.m.

Hey, I was over at your paddock looking to fill my air tank when the compressor at our paddock (Summit Main) died on Sunday. I was pleased to see the Fairmont -- tried to hunt you up to introduce myself, but I didn't have much time and you were away from your spot. Nice piece of work and I hope to meet you some other time.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh New Reader
7/22/15 9:03 p.m.

In reply to milkmandan:

It kinda has them, I just don't use them effectively unless I have a reason to. I become a much better driver when I'm chasing, mostly because I suffer from ifhediditsocaniitis. I will drive around by myself being all sedate, then turn all Schumacher after I give you the point by. The only upside is that I haven't had it bite me in the ass yet. Yet.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
7/22/15 11:24 p.m.

@snailmont5oh keep the videos coming, it's great to show folks you don't need the usual ride to have fun. As for driving sedately on your own, one of the toughest things to master is banging out fast lap after fast lap on your own. Track days give you a chance to focus on consistently fast laps. If you use the same markers every lap that goes a long way towards keeping your pace up. Also try this; figure out how many laps you get in a session and then see if you can get one more lap in, the goal of doing 12 laps instead of the usual 11 may be the motivation you need.

@ milkmaiddan your Miata seems kinda understeery? Especially exiting corner around minute 10. Tires past their best? In need of more trial braking or just a case of Yosemite Sam "ya mule ha mule"?

Tom

milkmandan
milkmandan New Reader
7/23/15 9:32 a.m.
Tom1200 wrote: @ milkmaiddan your Miata seems kinda understeery? Especially exiting corner around minute 10. Tires past their best? In need of more trial braking or just a case of Yosemite Sam "ya mule ha mule"?

I wouldn't really describe it as understeery, the car is pretty neutral/bordering on loose in the low-speed corners due to the off-camberness of the track... the lack of power steering also kicks the wheel around a lot. The Corkscrew and Pit Loop were my trouble spots, lots of different lines giving similar results, so no clear direction to work in. Still ran consistent 1:46's all weekend, about 2-3 seconds faster per lap on average than last year.

Best lap 1:45.9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMrCazW5W00

Highlight reel of lots of oversteer: https://www.facebook.com/joshua.leung.rubenstein/videos/10100295631903266/?l=8130067447180710006

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
7/23/15 9:41 a.m.

I like the fact that it still has the stock steering wheel; and, yes, please keep posting!

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
7/23/15 1:03 p.m.

I think we need a Video sub thread … or what ever it's called

someplace where we can post our videos … not just any video, but ones of us on track … or even "non-racing" autoX videos … that way they won't get "lost in the shuffle" as it were

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh New Reader
7/23/15 4:32 p.m.

In reply to wbjones: I don't disagree.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
7/23/15 4:35 p.m.
snailmont5oh wrote: In reply to wbjones: I don't disagree.

Excellent idea.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh New Reader
7/24/15 4:14 p.m.

@Tom1200: Usually I only go fast for a few laps at a time, because (and it surprised the E36 M3 out of me that I could feel this) the tires (225/50-15s) give up. So, when I have a reason to go hard, I do, then I back down and chill for a while. I need to get my tune worked out. I just installed a Holley Terminator, and it's at 10:1 AFR at WOT. I hated seeing that GT3 pull me by 2 lengths on the straight because of all the power I'm flushing down the tailpipe.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
7/24/15 10:12 p.m.

@snailmont5oh OK that makes sense; although I've always run lightweight cars & bikes it is possible on them to do in the tires rapidly. On my 125cc GP bike if you rode on the absolute limit and got the last hundredths out of it you'd cook the tires in 7 or 8 laps. Last year I tried some Dunlop ACB 9 take offs,fairly tall side wall spec tires for Formula Fords & small production cars and they have a lot of wind up. The Datsun 1200 with me in it weighs 1674lbs (1814 with me in it) but it's gutless so you have to drive the wheels off it and all that tire wind up puts a lot of heat in the tires so I can finish off a set in on day. The lower profile Hoosiers are more durable but the aforementioned Dunlops are big fun.

@milkmandan on the video it "appears" that you're stuffing in a lot of steering lock but the lack of power steering would explain it, you have both thumbs up on the wheel so clearly no death grip going on. As for the oversteer I'm thinking volume of the howling tires means they are closer to granite than gumballs and so the tend to give up the ghost half way round. Either way it was quite entertaining to see the car brought back from the brink.

Tom

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
7/25/15 7:25 p.m.
snailmont5oh wrote: @Tom1200: Usually I only go fast for a few laps at a time, because (and it surprised the E36 M3 out of me that I could feel this) the tires (225/50-15s) give up. So, when I have a reason to go hard, I do, then I back down and chill for a while. I need to get my tune worked out. I just installed a Holley Terminator, and it's at 10:1 AFR at WOT. I hated seeing that GT3 pull me by 2 lengths on the straight because of all the power I'm flushing down the tailpipe.

odds are it's not the size that's giving up as much as the tire (brand, model …etc)

something like the Toyo R1R will give up in as little as 2 - 3 laps … something like the original Rival tends to last, pretty much "forever" … it's one of the "tires of choice for endurance crapcan racing" .. along with Hankook RS3 and the Dunlop SS

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh New Reader
7/27/15 4:46 p.m.

I'm currently running RA1s. My last tires were used (up) R6s. I only run used tires. I don't care enough to spend the money to go fast. I'm just there to learn how to drive.

I go easy for a lap and warm them up, then give 'em hell, then back down when they need me to. They usually come back pretty quickly, so I can mess with the next guy that goes by. :)

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh New Reader
8/5/15 1:09 a.m.
The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
8/5/15 3:11 a.m.

I saw in another thread you mentioned that you have about $20,000 wrapped up in the Fairmont. Any chance you have a build thread somewhere or are willing to give a rundown of your go fast bits and mods?

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
8/5/15 6:20 a.m.
snailmont5oh wrote: http://youtu.be/2DmzjCChrBM

I noticed you didn't wave thank you to the Evo driver after he finally pointed you by

with only a forward looking camera, we couldn't tell. did he disappear in the distance behind you ?

what tires are you on … no noise from them … don't sound like street tires

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh New Reader
8/5/15 12:22 p.m.

@Jed: Here's my garage write up. It's all I can remember at the moment.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/garage/snailmont5oh/

@wbjones: I really would have, but I wanted to go fast over the hill, and that scares the hell out of me, so I forgot. I was on worn-down RA-1s that day. I need to get a rear-facing camera.

huggybear626
huggybear626 New Reader
8/5/15 4:44 p.m.

The funny thing about the Evo driver was he was asking the chief instructor about performance mods to his suspension. Hell I lapped him that day in a 1.6 sealed spec miata and that was the first time I ever drove the car. He was not taking instructions well and definitely held people up do to ego.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
8/5/15 6:19 p.m.
snailmont5oh wrote: @Jed: Here's my garage write up. It's all I can remember at the moment. https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/garage/snailmont5oh/ @wbjones: I really would have, but I wanted to go fast over the hill, and that scares the hell out of me, so I forgot. I was on worn-down RA-1s that day. I need to get a rear-facing camera.

I just figured that he held you up for so long he didn't deserve one

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh New Reader
8/5/15 6:26 p.m.

Nah, I'm not going for lap times, so I don't get excited. I have much more fun with the "Oh, Mr. Evo driver, I'm still heeeeeeeeerrrre!" of it all.

Huggybear, was that you in the white Miata that I pointed by, then pointed me by on the next lap?

Also, milkmandan, you get some play in this video!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WXlTE2ZwmLmjGM7jBM8qOhDI4QaefQ9HKPPjLCEE1Ak9R9Do8yaMULJ7nD0R5z7T