Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
6/7/21 12:05 p.m.

So here’s the question: If your friend wants to borrow your car, can you toss them your keys without rattling off a list of issues they need to be aware of? We’ve all heard them:  

You have to slam the passenger door to close it.

The temp gauge may read high or not at all–either way, ignore it.

You …

Read the rest of the story

WillG80
WillG80 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/7/21 2:24 p.m.

I usually sort my cars right when I'm getting ready to sell them. Then I wish I did it sooner because it's so much nicer to live with. 

FarmerTed
FarmerTed New Reader
4/22/23 10:29 p.m.

I worked for a restoration shop that specialized in British sports cars. We used to say that sorting the car was the longest and most tedious part of the job. Getting a car ready to give the keys to a customer and have it behave as if it were new is an incredible amount of work but very satisfying when it's done and a definite necessity for customer cars.

I don't know how many times I was stranded on a test drive with some unforeseen issue or would pull over to make a roadside adjustment or repair during the sorting process. I would often drive cars home or on small errands until they were ready to go. We'd gradually increase the speeds and distance from 'home' until the car could pass everything we could throw at it. The process usually took a couple hundred miles.

My personal cars/ projects are always fully sorted, half-assed stuff drives me crazy.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tOQ8VEXtbNwDYqZvyMGGj8Zud0gqSgiyxRxQrGuErJgCoqPiWsv7gjbqAp4OqF9l