1 2 3 4
Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 New Reader
2/24/09 3:47 p.m.

I wanna start it so bad!! A Spec Kia Rio Challenge!! Do you think NASA would do it???

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
2/24/09 3:51 p.m.

What can you do with a Rio? I like the 5 door version.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
2/24/09 3:54 p.m.

Sounds like fun. NO mods unless they are cheaper than stock replacements. Factory wheel size (and weight), Stock brakes (unlimited pads?), Passengers required.

Clem

Rusty_Rabbit84
2/24/09 3:55 p.m.

dunno... 4 doors run more weight, cinco no weight penalty? Sealed motor, roll cage, spec 15 inch wheel, spec nitto 555s, what else?

Rusty_Rabbit84
2/24/09 3:56 p.m.

leave the hubcaps on

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/24/09 3:59 p.m.

mandatory nitrous controlled by the audience

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
2/24/09 4:00 p.m.

Na. . . . Spec Accent is more my taste. 3dr HAtch, all run the SE suspension with 205/45/16 spec tires.

Rusty_Rabbit84
2/24/09 4:03 p.m.

accents are too sporty, rios were hit with an ugly stick!!

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
2/24/09 4:03 p.m.

Stock cam and compression ratio with the intent that a TRULY bone stock engine would be competetive. I like this rule.

I'd prefer to have tires with a treadwear limit. That way I can run whatever cheap tires I want to. Exhaust free after the stock manifold (so we don't have to replace expensive OE cats) but with a sound limit. Stock intake and throttle body (or whatever the restriction is) with aftermarket filter/housing being fine (read cheap)

Keep all the glass and interior, possibly (I'm thinking along the lines of showroom stock, but that might not be practical/safe).

What other "cheats" are there to outlaw? I don't know the rio aside from a rental or two that I've driven.

Clem

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
2/24/09 4:04 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: mandatory nitrous controlled by the audience

That is awesome.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
2/24/09 4:42 p.m.

Doesn't Spec Focus already sort of address the cheap, plentiful, ugly car class?

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
2/24/09 7:52 p.m.

Yes, but it's not as cheap, plentiful or ugly as the Rio.

kidding!

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
2/24/09 8:27 p.m.

hey now, I wouldn't mind a new Rio wagon, doesn't look bad to me.
Spectra does look better and the older Rio was/is ugly

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/24/09 11:49 p.m.

Sign me up for audience nitrous control! As a member of the audience, that is.

For tires, make it a spending limit. You have $100 at Costco to put tires on your car. Stock wheels. Heck, make the whole class a claim class, for MSRP of a brand new Rio.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
2/24/09 11:59 p.m.

Rio's on Costco tires actually sounds like fun...cornering speeds would be about 10...

maybe there should be a max budget of 15000 for the whole season.

92dxman
92dxman Reader
2/25/09 12:36 a.m.

How about everybody wait a few years until they hit GRM $200x prices? Seriously, they are decent cars. My mom has had an 06 as her dd the last couple years and no trouble in 30k miles and always gotten damn near 30 mpg.

skullsroad
skullsroad New Reader
2/25/09 1:37 a.m.

As a Costco employee I must defend my honor! You can't buy tires for $100 at Costco so poo on you!

minimac
minimac Dork
2/25/09 5:06 a.m.
92dxman wrote: How about everybody wait a few years until they hit GRM $200x prices?.....

Don't you mean "wait a few months"?

PorschesOnTheCheap
PorschesOnTheCheap New Reader
2/25/09 5:32 a.m.

I think a Spec-Rio class would be fun!!

FWIW I would race a spec Rio.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
2/25/09 6:25 a.m.

GRM-TV presents... Replace it with a Rio and Per as the Stig's Krispy Kreme devouring US cousin. First celebrity can be Leno. For added fun, give Tommy the remote for the nitrous.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Reader
2/25/09 8:24 a.m.

I have seen Rios pop up for pennies on C-List. Worth getting? At all?

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
2/25/09 8:27 a.m.

Funny thing is Dwight, I don't actually like Krispy Kremes that much, but when I'm working my ass off and there's nothing nearby to eat, that will do. I'd much prefer bagels.
Kthnksbye.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/25/09 8:57 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: mandatory nitrous controlled by the audience

The Greatest idea ever. Tires should have no name and the whitewall must face out.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
2/25/09 9:04 a.m.

You know. .. our last points event in the Indy region I used the wife's 2000 4dr accent on stock 150k mile suspension and terrible tires.... it was actually quite fun. Lots of body roll + people giggling + oversteer = FUN!

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/25/09 9:21 a.m.

Um, Per is Stig's dad. Not his cousin. Some say he sleeps inside out...

Can't buy tires for $100? Okay then, you have to run the Rio on $100 worth of tires. If that means one good right front and three junkyard tires, then that's how it goes. Chassis tuning via tire decrepitude.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mlndXt8q9XUgDHt2sp8p3ApnkVluhCtEkCzu4Sk6uukFNN8FU58f1ewLOOl0yyaz