1 2 3 4
HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
6/17/11 8:35 a.m.
Wally wrote: This is why circle track racing stays popular. I could take $8000 to my local dirt track and buy most of the 4 cyl field.

I actually had a conversation with a co-worker whose GF's brother does circle track. He asked this exact question. I told him him, "well, yea, but then you'd be circle track racing"

Gotta pay to play, $2k to get to your first event (via chumpcar, and around $1k per event after that if you have a team) is so ridiculously cheap for the kind of racing you get it isn't even funny. I'm planning on doing one more race this year down in the states and I'm pretty poor!

failboat
failboat Reader
6/17/11 11:10 a.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
Wally wrote: This is why circle track racing stays popular. I could take $8000 to my local dirt track and buy most of the 4 cyl field.
I actually had a conversation with a co-worker whose GF's brother does circle track. He asked this exact question. I told him him, "well, yea, but then you'd be circle track racing"

And? It sure sounds damn cheap, and you still get to get to race on track. Bonus is your crap can might actually last you a few races since they are generally not endurance races.

CanadianTercel
CanadianTercel New Reader
6/18/11 2:02 a.m.

Its funny, i told my dad like 2 months ago we should build a lemons car outta a 02 rio.. we had one, 5 spd, 1.5DOHC, was peppy? I can't remember, i was 16 at the time, it felt faster than a bicycle!!

Now a days its hard to find a spec and competitive and cheap class, I've always been an advocate for Formula Vee/1200 up here in canadialand, but i'd love to go tin top racing.. And I think that tercels, golfs, mitsu mirage, all those srs econoboxes with SOHC engines and torsion beam rear axles and mac front suspension are the way to go.. cheap, easy to find, simple.. only thing is the tercel is a bit disadvantaged on power compared to the golf i think, so some weight adjustment might be needed..

14x6 wheels, falken 512 or 912s, a set is just shy of $300 on discount tire, a decently high tread wear, and a company that is really into motorsports so MAYBE they'd want to back such a daft class (since drifting is equally as gay)

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
6/18/11 5:58 a.m.
HiTempguy wrote:

Get your nose out of the air rally boy, and don't knock it til you've tried it. I've raced a lot of different things, and best bang for the buck is still circle track. It's real wheel to wheel racing, can be done on a budget 30 nights a season or more, and you can actually make money for a decent finsh. Worst case, if you make the feature, and finish out of the money, you still get your entry fee back.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
6/18/11 9:12 a.m.
Zomby woof wrote: Get your nose out of the air rally boy, and don't knock it til you've tried it.

I have no doubt in my mind I would enjoy it Mike, just like I enjoy drag racing. But if I had a choice? I'd rather do other racing. If I had no money to put towards racing, I'd definitely look into it for my fix ;)

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
6/18/11 2:25 p.m.

I like drag racing, autocross, and rallycross too, but it's not quite the same as hurling a RWD car sideways at 120+ km/h between 2 other cars. Take some of your no money and try it some time. You'll be hooked. I gaurantee it.

CanadianTercel
6/18/11 2:51 p.m.

You talking about drifting? Yeah it's fun.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
6/18/11 4:52 p.m.

Drifting is retarded. Racing is fun. Talkin 'bout oval dirt.

CanadianTercel
6/21/11 8:33 a.m.

oh yeah, dirt track is awesome. I've never driven anything but a dirt kid kart (lame) but watching it is hella great too.. My father raced a street stock camaro at our local ovals for the shop he worked at one summer. Said it was definitely unlike anything he'd ever done before. he did get on the tv a bit though! haha.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
6/21/11 9:39 a.m.

I am really curious about circle track/dirt track. Any noob resources I should start with?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/21/11 10:19 a.m.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
10/12/11 11:10 p.m.

Somebody's been listening?

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/12/kia-expands-racing-program-with-rio-based-b-spec-race-car/

-Rob

Joshua
Joshua HalfDork
10/12/11 11:16 p.m.

In all honesty I normally jump at the idea of any cheap racing series but Spec Rio is just laughable.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
10/13/11 1:11 p.m.
Joshua wrote: In all honesty I normally jump at the idea of any cheap racing series but Spec Rio is just laughable.

I'm curious as to what makes a 2500lb, 140hp factory backed race car "laughable"? Let me guess, you'd be on board if it was Spec Civic?

Joshua
Joshua HalfDork
10/13/11 1:28 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
Joshua wrote: In all honesty I normally jump at the idea of any cheap racing series but Spec Rio is just laughable.
I'm curious as to what makes a 2500lb, 140hp factory backed race car "laughable"? Let me guess, you'd be on board if it was Spec Civic?

No not really, I dislike Honda's as much as the next guy with any self respect. (Same with Kia's)

I would be on board with Spec Mini's, Spec Abarth, Spec e36 M3, heck even Spec Fit sounds more fun than a Rio. I'm not saying I wouldn't race it if the costs were low enough, I'm just saying it would be a last resort.

My problem with Spec racing and Showroom Stock is that people try to cheat within the rules. They blueprint motors, dyno shocks, test all sorts of "stock" springs, all to gain an edge on competitors instead of just working on improving their driving. All of these things are legal but none were intended when the rules were written.

For Showroom Stock, I don't understand why the rules don't say: your horsepower rating must be within 4% (or some fair number that accounts for the variables of factory hp output) of the manufacturer horsepower rating. This would keep people from buying 4 different motors that should only make 190hp, taking all of the best pistons, hottest cams, best flowing heads etc. and putting together 1 engine that makes 250hp; thereby running up the costs of "entry level racing."

It seems simple. What am I missing?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
10/13/11 2:22 p.m.

After actually DRIVING one (technically, the new Accent hatch but same vehicle) it was a better drive than the last Fit I was in. Handling was good (tires were trash), braking was excellent, acceleration (even with the auto) was good. Every aspect was better than the Fit IMO.It was closer to feeling like a base model Mini to me.

rotard
rotard Reader
10/13/11 2:33 p.m.

Spec Focus?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9YXU9IVIy0cGAgrF6a0WkKj3m1IIbi20Cn6srSC4JD8QeTpndOSYmb1Brql98GCT