1 2
J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
10/13/22 2:16 p.m.
feature_image

That’s right, every automotive enthusiast’s favorite channel will be revived.

In an article by The Hollywood Reporter, former Discovery execs, professional wrestler Bill Goldberg and NASCAR Cup Series team owner Rick Hendrick are looking to resurrect Speedvision as a free streaming network supported by ads. The cable channel launched in 1995 and was shut down by Fox in 2013. …

Read the rest of the story

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
10/13/22 2:23 p.m.

Cool. Always liked Speedvision. Hope they show WRC and German and British Touring Car and............well all the things they use to show.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/13/22 2:39 p.m.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/22 2:51 p.m.

In reply to Feedyurhed :

+1

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
10/13/22 2:54 p.m.

Speedvision used to cover SCCA ProRally back in the day. Hmm. ARA is attempting their first live coverage of an event at LSPR this weekend.  HMMMM.

P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff)
P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff) GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/13/22 2:55 p.m.

If they can bring it back to late 90's/early 00's greatness, I'm excited.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/22 2:56 p.m.

I hope that it's remotely close to what it was, but I fear that it'll be like a high school sweetheart who's single again after a divorce and three kids, or like the reincarnation of the Acura Integra. Not nearly as good looking as it was in 90s and with 40% more bloat. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/13/22 3:00 p.m.

We're one step closer to a reboot of American Sports Cavalcade and I'm on board.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
10/13/22 3:00 p.m.

I shall remain optimistic until I'm not.........................

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
10/13/22 3:01 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Speedvision used to cover SCCA ProRally back in the day. Hmm. ARA is attempting their first live coverage of an event at LSPR this weekend.  HMMMM.

And where might I view the rally?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/13/22 3:03 p.m.

Speedvision started up with zero advertisers, and ran old British car adverts where the proper ads should have gone.  That is the best solution I have ever seen.

In Canada, we have Fox Sports Racing, which is what we got when Fox Sports shut down Speed.  They, too, have no advertisers, and have never had any, but every break we get to see the promos for "Dead Truckers", "Loudmouth Rednecks" and all the other shows that sucked back in the Speed days.

I refuse to watch anything on that channel live.

If Speedvision comes back in something roughly approximating its original form, I will be happy.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/13/22 3:05 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

We're one step closer to a reboot of American Sports Cavalcade and I'm on board.

Steve Evans was the heart of that show, and I fear anyone new would be a sad copy.

Big fan of the concept, though.  Even Wide World of Sports should have a place out there.  Who didn't enjoy cliff diving?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
10/13/22 3:05 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

And where might I view the rally?

Coverage will be streaming on the ARA youtube channel starting 4pm Eastern time on Saturday, I'm guessing it'll be a recap to catch up to that point and then live coverage of the final stages and podium.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/13/22 3:26 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Totally yes. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
10/13/22 3:28 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
JG Pasterjak said:

Totally yes. 

Loved that show.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/13/22 3:45 p.m.

I want the Mickey Thompson Off-Road circut back. I want stadium trucks going through the turnstiles of the LA Coliseum. I want Walker Evans and Ivan Stewart.  Is that too much to ask?

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/13/22 4:00 p.m.

To avoid disappointment I'm setting my expectations low - it will be ok if it doesn't suck.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
10/13/22 4:18 p.m.

Sounds simply like they are making their own motor trend on demand 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
10/13/22 4:36 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
JG Pasterjak said:

Steve Evans was the heart of that show, and I fear anyone new would be a sad copy.

Big fan of the concept, though.  Even Wide World of Sports should have a place out there.  Who didn't enjoy cliff diving?

Is swamp buggy racing still a thing?

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
10/13/22 4:41 p.m.
Appleseed said:

I want the Mickey Thompson Off-Road circut back. I want stadium trucks going through the turnstiles of the LA Coliseum. I want Walker Evans and Ivan Stewart.  Is that too much to ask?

And the stadium motocross and 3 wheelers.....

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
10/13/22 4:44 p.m.

There were so many weird "Sports" on that show , I wonder who owns the rights and if they saved the tapes ?

Also  Ascot figure 8 racing .......

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/13/22 4:45 p.m.
Feedyurhed said:

Cool. Always liked Speedvision. Hope they show WRC and German and British Touring Car and............well all the things they use to show.

Just for you:

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
10/13/22 4:54 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

There were so many weird "Sports" on that show , I wonder who owns the rights and if they saved the tapes ?

Also  Ascot figure 8 racing .......

I remember watching some form of gymkhana way back in the 80s. Seemed like a bunch of heavily modified British cars sliding through cones, reversing into and out of stop boxes and all kinds of craziness. 

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
10/13/22 5:18 p.m.

If it has swamp buggy racing and lawnmower racing, I'm in!

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
10/13/22 5:34 p.m.
Nick Comstock said:
Streetwiseguy said:
JG Pasterjak said:

Is swamp buggy racing still a thing?

Absolutely 

https://www.swampbuggy.com

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1sp97MGgZFbbiN6EXhdNc43vqMwJOYrc2cAiNJUv7zvwD2gaUrFEOb0HfPeYvj0J