1 2 3 4 ... 11
njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
10/23/10 11:30 a.m.

Stance is nothing new: I remember reading about "the right stance" in 1985 Hot Rod Magazines. (In '92: I had purchased them at a garage sale)

Frankly, "the right stance" can make or break a car. I think everyone would agree that David's 911 looks (even) better lowered slightly. (Darnit, everytime I see that car...I start looking at my investments in the wrong way!)

Am I into Hellflush? No, but mild iterations look great (to me). Yes, it is usually less functional, but we don't all need pseudo-race cars for the street.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/23/10 12:15 p.m.
Javelin wrote: I say GRM brings back the wicked 70's un-frush look that that Javelin pulled of so well. To wit,

Knurled
10/23/10 12:19 p.m.

PS - Isn't it a sign of some mental illness to fixate on one small detail while ignoring everything else?

"OMG I NEED TO LOWER IT TOO MUCH WHEEL GAP". Lowering doesn't change wheel gap, it just uncenters the wheel in the wheelwell. You'd not be changing the front or back.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
10/23/10 3:41 p.m.
Javelin wrote: I say GRM brings back the wicked 70's un-frush look that that . To wit,

We will agree to dissagree on that one. shiver that is a frying pan full of ugly there. What on earth were they thinking with that front fender?

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
10/23/10 4:29 p.m.

Yes, what were they thinking on that Javelin front fender?

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
10/23/10 4:31 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Speaking of stance, someone got slightly lowered today. Sorry, no hella flushness, though. (And is it a sin to hotlink from our own site?)

I think hotlinking your own will make you go blind.

porksboy
porksboy Dork
10/23/10 6:11 p.m.

Can someone define hella flush for me?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
10/23/10 6:37 p.m.

In reply to porksboy:

I'm not sure... maybe they make the lights in suits and colors?

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
10/23/10 6:58 p.m.
81gtv6 wrote:
Rad_Capz wrote: One of the things I like about this forum is that there isn't a thousand threads asking how to cut springs, change torsion bar adjustments, which drop spindles or springs to buy, or endless banter about other methods used to achieve a certain "stance". Here, it seems to be performance first, if that happens to give the car a "stance" thats popular now all the better but it's not the primary goal. I cringe when people compliment one of my cars because they like the "stance" speaking as though I intentionally changed the ride height and rake of the car solely to achieve a certain look. As for Hellaflush, I'm thinking that like most appearance oriented trends it will be a short lived fad. (They are cool looking though IMHO)
I would have to agree with all of that.

Well writen and I have to agree even though I am "Old".

For aslong as I have been alive, the it seems that the powers that be have been trying to squeeze the creative juices out of our lifes.

Skateboards are dangerous Hot Rods were evil. Pony Cars were the root of all other evils. Removing your 5 mile/hour bumpers was good for eternal damnantion. He who messes with god's apointed emitions controls will earn longer and more punitive sentences than a person who kills another human. He who drifts a car around acorner for no other reaon than unbridled bliss surley is a heretic Stance leads to heroin... As to that sex stuff, good god, I am here to tell you from the future that no good ever comes of that!

So, my feelings about all this is to just relax and admire the creative element, regardless of how silly I think it is. These poor guys are most likely to end up as engineers and that should be ppunishment enough.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/23/10 7:15 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Yes, what were they thinking on that Javelin front fender?

Funny to use an RX8 to rationalize a styling decision.

Knurled
10/23/10 7:39 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Yes, what were they thinking on that Javelin front fender?

Yes, what WERE they thinking?

Knurled
10/23/10 7:43 p.m.
porksboy wrote: Can someone define hella flush for me?

First you have to drink enough Red Bull-and-vodkas (Skyy is the vodka of choice, here) so that you slur "a hell of a lot of" into "hella".

Then you stretch 185/50-15 tires onto 15x9 rims of the wrong offset, and then lower the car to the point that you can't stick a feeler gauge between the tread (note: not sidewall, or rim) and the fender lip.

Somehow, this is supposed to look good. To me it says "Hey guys I never drive my car hard or even on public roads".

gigolojoe
gigolojoe New Reader
10/23/10 7:50 p.m.
njansenv wrote: Yes, it is usually less functional, but we don't all need pseudo-race cars for the street.

How dare you sir!

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture HalfDork
10/23/10 8:53 p.m.
NOHOME wrote:
81gtv6 wrote:
Rad_Capz wrote: One of the things I like about this forum is that there isn't a thousand threads asking how to cut springs, change torsion bar adjustments, which drop spindles or springs to buy, or endless banter about other methods used to achieve a certain "stance". Here, it seems to be performance first, if that happens to give the car a "stance" thats popular now all the better but it's not the primary goal. I cringe when people compliment one of my cars because they like the "stance" speaking as though I intentionally changed the ride height and rake of the car solely to achieve a certain look. As for Hellaflush, I'm thinking that like most appearance oriented trends it will be a short lived fad. (They are cool looking though IMHO)
I would have to agree with all of that.
Well writen and I have to agree even though I am "Old". For aslong as I have been alive, the it seems that the powers that be have been trying to squeeze the creative juices out of our lifes. Skateboards are dangerous Hot Rods were evil. Pony Cars were the root of all other evils. Removing your 5 mile/hour bumpers was good for eternal damnantion. He who messes with god's apointed emitions controls will earn longer and more punitive sentences than a person who kills another human. He who drifts a car around acorner for no other reaon than unbridled bliss surley is a heretic Stance leads to heroin... As to that sex stuff, good god, I am here to tell you from the future that no good ever comes of that! So, my feelings about all this is to just relax and admire the creative element, regardless of how silly I think it is. These poor guys are most likely to end up as engineers and that should be ppunishment enough.

Agreed, but these people are the same way. I post a pic of my stock SVT focus on a focus forum, and the first 3 replys will all say some iteration of the same thing " looks ok, but needs a drop and a tint " Someone else will mention the rims. It disgusts me.

But, maybe I am weird, I just dont want my car to look retarded.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/23/10 11:44 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Then you stretch 185/50-15 tires onto 15x9 rims of the wrong offset, and then lower the car to the point that you can't stick a feeler gauge between the tread (note: not sidewall, or rim) and the fender lip. Somehow, this is supposed to look good. To me it says "Hey guys I never drive my car hard or even on public roads".

One of my most memorable discussions on my local drift forum was over a guy stretching crappy ultra-cheap tires, I think 165/60/15's, onto 15x9 rims, on an otherwise well engineered Miata. Because I'm not a "real drifter", I got accused of hating on people who stretch their tires.

"Oh great. Not another 'stretched tires are stupid' thread..."

No. You can stretch tires if you want to (although I won't). I just can't understand why you would put E36 M3ty 165/60/15's on a performance car for any reason.

CanadianTercel
CanadianTercel New Reader
10/24/10 1:23 a.m.

The hella flush scene has totally gotten out of hand. But there is no denying that I think that civic looks great on those wheels.

Just needs some fender flares so it's purposeful n' E36 M3.

Hahaha omfg. This place has the best censorship program ever!!

s#it = e36 m3.

I <3 GRM.

neckromacr
neckromacr Reader
10/24/10 8:53 a.m.

I'd say I'm looking forward for the Hella Flared movement to go main stream.

And that I'd be preaching to choir: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/one-more-example-of-how-box-flares-make-everything/12227/page1/

But the problem is when something has mass appeal it gets in the hands of many who thinks they know what the hell their doing.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/24/10 9:02 a.m.
ditchdigger wrote: We will agree to dissagree on that one. *shiver* that is a frying pan full of ugly there. What on earth were they thinking with that front fender?

Like everything else on the 71-4 Javelin, it has something to do with Donohue and Penske. Fit bigger tires and make the nose lower without showing it.

Teague actually designed them (and the nose) though, he even ut them on his personal 68 AMX to try and save the 2-seater.

Knurled
10/24/10 10:35 a.m.
neckromacr wrote: I'd say I'm looking forward for the Hella Flared movement to go main stream.

I think I recognize that car from an old issue of Car Craft. They detailed how some shop built fender flares, and made it look easy.

Firs they made a wireframe of the flares' shape, then they skinned it with sheetmetal. Simple, right?

JoeyM
JoeyM Dork
10/24/10 1:05 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Firs they made a wireframe of the flares' shape, then they skinned it with sheetmetal. Simple, right?

That's how I built my grill shell and cowl

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
10/24/10 2:02 p.m.

I prefer Hella Functional.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic SuperDork
10/24/10 2:18 p.m.

I do not understand. What is hella flush? I haven't got a clue what this thread is about.

stealthfighter1
stealthfighter1 Reader
10/24/10 3:00 p.m.

google: stanceworks, wheel whores, zilvia, fatlace, hondatech, vwvortex.......

may not be suitable for:

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
10/24/10 3:38 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: I come from this era. I judge no flushers.

Wow, take the vinyl top off and put the engine back under the hood and that's my first car. Even the color, Corvette Bronze, of which only 300 Camaros were painted. Man does that bring back memories. Now I have to leave to search for a '68 Camaro. Thanks!

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Reader
10/24/10 3:47 p.m.

We got some stance in my Mechanics class because we could. Lowered the B12 by removing the springs entirely - rides like a freaking backhoe. Widened the 13x5's to 13x7.5 and stretched the 155's on them and "rolled" the fenders with a 3lb sledge.

HNF: Hella Non-Functional.

1 2 3 4 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6zWIqMdKwGQgInfNT4xQ4YUSq7VLEzYr14IcSIIL88S5Y0tMFciPKlF38Ll9VAHJ