Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/22 5:33 p.m.

I need to replace the starter on the Corvette (2008 Z06). I'd rather buy a new one than rebuilt, and have seen a few people saw they used a mini racing style starter. It is being roasted by the headers so some insulation for it and the wiring would be a good idea too. I'd like to just do it once, and if it's pretty much a direct fit that would be helpful. 

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/15/22 3:27 p.m.

My gut reaction is OE and a heat wrap.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
10/15/22 5:35 p.m.

Heat wrap only slows heat gain, it doesn't prevent it. That said, if you combine heat wrap with even a small air duct from the front of the car, that could work well. I had a Datsun Roadster that ate starters (too close to the header) and part of the solution was a shorter gear-reduction unit that moved its butt-end away from the header. I'd try the wrap and duct solution first.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/22 7:08 p.m.

I usually pony up for OEM starter from the parts counter unless it's super cost-prohibitive.  Plug the part number in Amazon and then click the appropriate box on the left that says something like GM, OEM, Goodwrench, or Delco to sift out the aftermarket stuff.  Chances are you'll find it cheaper there than at a parts counter.  Check Rock Auto too.

You might hit up Summit Racing, too.  They might have a good deal.

In fact, I just checked... their cheapest starter for an 08 vette is actually a new Delco starter.

10/15/22 7:11 p.m.

Also, a thought.  When you install the heat shield, I like to leave an air gap between a rigid sheild and the starter.  Wrapping it just means that once the heat soaks through the wrap, it gets just as hot as it did before.  If you do something like a sheet metal shield with 1/4" gap, the shield takes the heat and the air gets rid of it.  Air is a terrible conductor, so the shield deflects the radiant heat from the headers.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
10/16/22 11:15 a.m.

There are guys who have installed a shield on these cars.  I bought one that was supposed to work, couldn't see an easy way to make it fit so it is on my shelf.  I also don't have headers so no issue with heat.   

but I think a shield with a good air gap between it and the starter is better than wrapping the starter.  

both might even be better though?

10/17/22 10:26 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

If there is room for a thin layer of rockwool on the inside of the shield and still room for a wee air gap, I think that would be superior.

That would let the shield absorb the radiant heat but prevent it from re-radiating toward the starter.  But as soon as you have something touching the starter, it will conduct heat.

Think of it like putting your hand in the oven.  The air and everything inside that oven is 375 degrees, but your hand doesn't burn in the air... but if you touch the rack, you're potentially headed to the ER.  Conduction from physical contact is thousands of times more efficient at transferring heat than convection from air.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/22 1:38 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

I'm waiting to put it on the lift next week and see what's in it. My driveway is too muddy right now to jack it up.  From everyone I've talked to it g he as likely been changed at least once at 85,000 miles. Depending on how bad everything looks I may pull the headers and get them coated too.  It seems from most things I've found online the factory starters are only good for about 20,000 miles with headers. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HXjlqPIZNVn3lrJ9kH9QSKdACl8AlE5WMYhqN6Z4GhEKLrWG6nr1V0QZd6VMDHos