1 2 3
rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
12/10/20 1:49 p.m.

I'd really love to hear some more experiences from anyone who's used the G-Max RS and the ECS.  I've got the ECS on the E38 at the moment, but I'll be replacing them next year.  The G-Max RS is slightly tempting due to lower price and them probably being a little less draggy (better mpg).  But I'm not sure if I'll be happy, or if I'll wish I went for the ECS again.  The ECS have been great, they're just loud on most surfaces (anything other than perfect asphalt) and they're not great in the mpg department. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/10/20 1:59 p.m.

From Discount Tire (except 500)  In 225/40-18:

Gmax RS: $113

Indy 500:  $143 (Tire Rack)

ECS:  $163

PS4S:  $194

I would be interested in some G-Max RS reviews also.  I think I would prefer any of the other 3 tires, I just don't know if I would prefer them $120/set more.  Plus of course I can wait for the next sale and snag another $50-100 if going through DTD.

asphalt_gundam
asphalt_gundam New Reader
12/10/20 2:04 p.m.

I also really really like my BFG sport comp 2 tires.

Great on the street, good on track, talk to you when you get near the limit. BEST PART the break away clean and come back smooth as butter. I love them as a "learning" tire in my case.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
12/10/20 2:22 p.m.

I try not to let a $100-200 difference in a set of four tires overly influence my decisions.  Over the life of the set it's really not that much money, and living with crappy tires sucks every day...

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/10/20 3:56 p.m.

I will say that over the last 20 years, every time I've tried something other than a Michelin Pilot Sport (of whatever generation) as a tire for my DD (various Audi sedans) I've regretted it.  These days I just buy the Michelins without really looking too far beyond that. :)

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
12/15/20 5:44 p.m.

Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 are one on my favorite daily drivers, really good balance of wet and dry handling... equally great at both and a little better behaved at the limit over the Continentals.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/15/20 6:44 p.m.

My 2004 ralliart wagon got a set of firestone firehawk Indy 500's about a year ago. I've been really impressed with them. 

I was going to put  set of the ECS Continentals on the car, but the fire stones were quite a bit cheaper on sale. I certainly haven't been disappointed.

Now that the prices are much closer together I'm not sure whether I'm going to go with another set of the Indy 500s or the ECS continentals when I buy tires for my WRX wagon.

BLRB
BLRB GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/24/20 12:42 p.m.

I ended up getting the Pilot sport 4S.   I found a $100 rebate on the Michelin's so it was close it was only $100 more than the Conti's.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6a5ZNte84E02Xg5uRP3NPMGVgN8tc3AkVjPw22OaIiXDot9MtgrUkQYWEx1uE8kr