1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/17/21 10:30 a.m.
feature_image

Even though almost two full years have passed since the debut of the C8 Corvette, what sort of lingering questions do you have regarding the mid-engine Chevrolet?

Put your questions in the comments below, and we’ll select the most pressing ones to answer in an upcoming video review for the C8.

Read the rest of the story

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
6/17/21 10:34 a.m.

It's not  a question but I think worth sharing; a couple of friends who are instructors at Ron Fellows have said that the C8 is the easiest car to drive fast they have ever driven. Both of them are experienced racers.

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/17/21 11:47 a.m.

My question is: just how freakin' awesome is it?  Is it like 'WAY awesome' or 'TOTALLY awesome'?

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
6/17/21 11:54 a.m.

My boss landed his late last year.  He seems quite happy.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/17/21 11:58 a.m.
BA5 said:

My question is: just how freakin' awesome is it?  Is it like 'WAY awesome' or 'TOTALLY awesome'?

We intend to to the hard-hitting work to rate it on a scale of "rad" to "super gnarly." We've got you covered.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
6/17/21 12:09 p.m.

This is one of those times when one realizes the greatness of one's occupation.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/21 12:47 p.m.

I saw one for the first time a couple of weeks ago (we're not a new car kinda town). Best looking Corvette I've ever seen. 

That is all.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/17/21 1:22 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I saw one for the first time a couple of weeks ago (we're not a new car kinda town). Best looking Corvette I've ever seen. 

That is all.

eww

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/17/21 1:28 p.m.

It's a really cool car, no doubt, but is it a Corvette?  For 60 years the recipe was pretty obvious, 2 seats, front engine, RWD, American power.  I know the new Mustang Mach E is called a "Mustang" and the new Ford truck is a "Maverick," but are they really true to their namesakes?  Of course Toyota is calling a BMW a Supra now too......  even cars are bizzarrely named now. 

At least an electric truck named Lightning kind of fits. 

Mazda will probably release a 4 door sedan with a V6 anyday now and call it the RX9.

Red5
Red5 New Reader
6/17/21 1:40 p.m.

How many hot laps can you run before it gets too hot and needs to stop to cool off?  What gives up first, brakes or transmission?  

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
6/17/21 1:47 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Zora Arkov-Duntos, effectively the father of the Corvette (started working with the program in 1956/57?), campaigned hard for GM to allow him to build the Corvette with mid-Engine architecture starting in 1960. The production Corvette recipe has always been front-engine RWD, but the spirit of the Corvette has absolutely included mid-Engine layout for 60 years at this point. Definitely, 100% still a Corvette even if it's not called CERV (Chevrolet engineering research Vehicle) in the spirit of Zora's 3 attempts to get it to happen.

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/17/21 2:12 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

We intend to to the hard-hitting work to rate it on a scale of "rad" to "super gnarly." We've got you covered.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
6/17/21 2:13 p.m.

Sacrilege!  No one should accept that changing the position of the engine or other radical powertrain changes should be allowed and still be  a ...  umm. 928/924/944 ?... Sure, the C8 is a Corvette no problem from me.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
6/17/21 2:15 p.m.

How hard is it to get a roll cage in there?

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/17/21 2:24 p.m.

Not a question but there is a guy at work who ordered one, I don't remember exactly when , and he just told me his order has been pushed back again to a 22 year car.  He said he had to pay an extra $1000 when it got bumped from a 20 to a 21 and now has to pay another $1300 do to the bump again.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/17/21 3:10 p.m.

I want to know if the axle-lifting system that uses the ABS pump has enough oomph to make the front end bounce off the ground.

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/17/21 3:32 p.m.

I want to know why it does not have a manual transmission option. Is it too loud for CA?

Additionally I would like to know why it has such an obnoxiously large tunnel. My guess is chassis rigidity but dang that thing is huge!

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/17/21 4:53 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Not my cup of tea. Mid engine always looks goofy to my eyes when designers keep enough room in the back for golf clubs. The NA NSX was lengthened by something like 1.5" when the engine was changed from SOHC to DOHC during the design process and the design suffered for it. They should have cut the trunk space and told their customers to switch to skeet instead (kidding!).

Is this the last of the Boomer 'vettes or the first of the Gen X 'vettes?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/21 4:55 p.m.

I keep getting told it doesn't look right. Now that I've seen one roaming the streets, I disagree. I like it, it looked really exotic. 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/21 5:12 p.m.
CrustyRedXpress said:

Is this the last of the Boomer 'vettes or the first of the Gen X 'vettes?

It's the first of the Gen X Corvettes, even if it was designed by a boomer. We don't care what the "traditional" Corvette is supposed to be, so they were finally able to put the mid engined car into production. We just want the best car we can buy with our slacker dollars.

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
6/17/21 5:12 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I may not like the styling but it has a visual presence that screams exotic car. Couple that with how it drives and what's not to love.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/17/21 5:34 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

I want to know if the axle-lifting system that uses the ABS pump has enough oomph to make the front end bounce off the ground.

It does not, sadly.

It does have enough lift that I was able to get it on the trailer without needing the Race Ramps, though. That's a nice perk.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/17/21 5:45 p.m.

When does my 75 shark bodied car grow up and become a C8?

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/17/21 5:45 p.m.

I am glad that GM was able to get a RWD mid-engined car right this time.

It does seem quite the deal compared to other exotics.  I am pointing at you American Honda.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/17/21 5:46 p.m.
Aaron_King said:

Not a question but there is a guy at work who ordered one, I don't remember exactly when , and he just told me his order has been pushed back again to a 22 year car.  He said he had to pay an extra $1000 when it got bumped from a 20 to a 21 and now has to pay another $1300 do to the bump again.

Only in America...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gUl8oUFVqFJ505Xg9MX099yL3mEwzpV89m97Th0n9MWFLt4rea8m6mwV1588RTWZ