1 2
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/21 5:57 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
maschinenbau said:

I want to know if the axle-lifting system that uses the ABS pump has enough oomph to make the front end bounce off the ground.

It does not, sadly.

It does have enough lift that I was able to get it on the trailer without needing the Race Ramps, though. That's a nice perk.

So we've found our first modification. Some sort of high pressure/high velocity reservoir for the axle lift system to enable hopping.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/17/21 7:04 p.m.
noddaz said:

It does seem quite the deal compared to other exotics.  I am pointing at you American Honda.

They have to know. The C8 is the car the NSX community wanted by buy, at a price they loved, from a company they can't stand. 

I think Honda's hands are tied until they have a completely electric drivetrain that they want to show off. I can't seen another NSX hybrid come to market.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/17/21 7:15 p.m.

In reply to classicJackets (FS) :

I'm pretty familiar with Corvette history Duntov and Shinoda.  A Russian descended and Japanese descended American made the most Iconic most American car ever.  It was completely useless for anything other than going fast and looking cool.  It is uniquely American.  This new Corvette loses some of that IMO.  It's one awesome car.  I know Zora D. wanted to build a mid-engine chassis, but it never happened.  We got the C3 instead. 

The FD RX-7 is technically mid-engined, but I don't think mid-engine is neccessarily part of the spirit of the Corvette. 

It's an awesome car, and they do look stellar in person.  This car looks way better than in photographs.  I've seen about a half dozen or so up close and in person.

If I get another Corvette though (I've owned 2 and almost had a 3rd), it'll likely be a C6 or C7.  A C8 is a long way from being affordable to me and I don't like the lack of transmission choice for a fun car.  Given the current market, I sometimes regret passing on the 5th Gen fixed roof "Billy Bob" coupe. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/17/21 7:29 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
JG Pasterjak said:
maschinenbau said:

I want to know if the axle-lifting system that uses the ABS pump has enough oomph to make the front end bounce off the ground.

It does not, sadly.

It does have enough lift that I was able to get it on the trailer without needing the Race Ramps, though. That's a nice perk.

So we've found our first modification. Some sort of high pressure/high velocity reservoir for the axle lift system to enable hopping.

Exactly what I was thinking. Here's hoping someone hacks the ABS module to enable full bounce lowrider mode at your local Cars & Coffee.

Also I think the C8 is drop-dead stunning after seeing them in person. They still look totally Corvette, yet also look exotic and way above their price tag.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
6/17/21 7:42 p.m.

I'm wondering how well it autocrosses honestly. It got longer, heavier and and became mid-engine. Mid-engine is pretty good for autocross in an MR2, Cayman, 914 etc. but in a big car it seems like a bit of a liability. Think about when when supercars show up to autocross and the experienced people are like "Ohhh, I hope that guy doesn't get too pissed off at his times."

Still want one very badly since for street and track not much can beat it at that price point and it's proven to do better road course times than just about anything the U.S. has produced.

f1carguy
f1carguy New Reader
6/17/21 9:03 p.m.

My buddy from the NSB boardwalk told me that his 97 year old father, retired pharmacy owner, got one. What a waste. He doesn't even drive fast. Pure waste. someone needs to take it away from him. You can spot the car around Deland.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
6/17/21 9:58 p.m.

My garage-mates at NCM instruct and do the driving days with c8 Corvette's, neither love them on track for whatever that's worth. Fast != Fun 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/17/21 11:28 p.m.

Any teasers for what the Z06 and/or ZR1 will be? 

I have to admit,  it looks far, far better in person. Maybe it just doesn't photograph well? 

stroker
stroker UberDork
6/18/21 6:18 a.m.

I saw one on the street and thought it looked great.  I want to know the lap time as soon as a box-stock version has a chance to lap Road America, though...

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/18/21 6:18 a.m.

The rear looks like a Camaro. If I were the type of guy to drop this kind of coin on a car, it better not look like a modern Camaro from any angle. Seems awesome otherwise.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/18/21 6:34 a.m.

I wonder when the "affordable" ones will start hitting the market.  While I'll admit I haven't really spent a lot of effort to look, the C8's I do see for sale generally have 6-figure asking prices.

I also wonder when Z06 and/or ZR1 versions will show... although right now I suppose the various production delays have put those plans on the back-burner.

The lack of a manual transmission option is also somewhat disheartening.  I'm sure the offered automatic works fine and is faster in most (all?) situations - and helps to keep production costs down - but pure performance isn't why I buy a sports car. I can imagine this alone will keep the value of C7 manual cars on the higher side.

jamscal
jamscal Dork
6/18/21 9:07 a.m.

I really like the C8 but certain angles look a bit awkward and certain colors help or hurt depending.

The test of time will tell.

A C5 was awesome when it first came out but now that they're common it's sort of blob-ish (I still like them.)

glyn ellis
glyn ellis New Reader
6/18/21 1:01 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

imagesbytjm
imagesbytjm GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/18/21 1:09 p.m.

In reply to jamscal :

I agree.  Looks ok from front and sides but from the back it makes me think Kardashin...

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/18/21 1:21 p.m.

When do we get an all electric one?

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/18/21 1:26 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I keep getting told it doesn't look right. Now that I've seen one roaming the streets, I disagree. I like it, it looked really exotic. 

It's very much one of those cars that might look off in photos but in person is pretty berkeleying beautiful. I saw one recently that had to have been lowered just a hair and had some HRE wheels on it. Even in a bland color (That weird, bluish offwhite color?) it looked spectacular.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
6/18/21 4:35 p.m.

In reply to glyn ellis :

We dont do that stuff here. You dont want to get labeled a flounder.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/18/21 5:46 p.m.

I drove my neighbors to publix the other day.  Its pretty awesome.  There really wasn't room to open it up but I liked how it steered and the power felt great.

If it makes any difference he seems to drives it more than his gt2 rs or his AMG s63, which is saying something.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
6/18/21 6:00 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

It was completely useless for anything other than going fast and looking cool.  It is uniquely American. 

I fail to see a problem with that. The Corvette is a surprisingly daily livable car. Even my 64 C2 I use to go grocery shopping and it can still boogy when I need it to. The new ones are just off the scale for performance to dollar. 

Real question now. Do we have any solid info on the Z06 or Zora? Whats the wait time like now for custom orders because someone local got one in like 3 months and he thinks that was a fluke. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/19/21 12:17 a.m.
wearymicrobe said:
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

It was completely useless for anything other than going fast and looking cool.  It is uniquely American. 

I fail to see a problem with that. The Corvette is a surprisingly daily livable car. Even my 64 C2 I use to go grocery shopping and it can still boogy when I need it to. The new ones are just off the scale for performance to dollar. 

Real question now. Do we have any solid info on the Z06 or Zora? Whats the wait time like now for custom orders because someone local got one in like 3 months and he thinks that was a fluke. 

There is no problem with that.  That is exactly what made it the most American thing ever.  It was never intended to be practical.  No part of the Corvette was ever intended to be practical.  It was built to look cool and go fast.  So maybe the new one is more "Corvette" than I give it credit for, but the recipe did take a drastic change for this new one. 

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
6/19/21 9:41 a.m.

Mid engine Corvettes had to happen at some point.  They got tired of getting their fannies waxed in GT racing.  The old format wasn't cutting it.  I believe GM wants to be seen as a cutting-edge company again after the '70s-'90s tarnished their image.  Their electrical fleet is burgeoning while they put out a 2-seat bang-for-the-buck exoticar to attract the next generation of motorheads with some disposable income.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/21/21 9:50 a.m.

When can they make a body kit to make it this instead:

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vT8zTek0o9F2Pd9t0GAxqXBUaxOCWB66lI5fxI2MjkCDHmN3NwKQpfakhxitVr9C