Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/17 11:15 a.m.

This is important.

Stop the Bleed (Video)

Please watch it. It only takes about five minutes and it could save someone's life, possibly your own.

Thank you.

Woody
10/4/17 12:12 p.m.

https://www.dhs.gov/stopthebleed

Stop the Bleed

Stop the Bleed LogoLaunched in October of 2015 by the White House, Stop the Bleed is a national awareness campaign and a call to action. Stop the Bleed is intended to cultivate grassroots efforts that encourage bystanders to become trained, equipped, and empowered to help in a bleeding emergency before professional help arrives.

No matter how rapid the arrival of professional emergency responders, bystanders will always be first on the scene.  A person who is bleeding can die from blood loss within five minutes, therefore it is important to quickly stop the blood loss. Those nearest to someone with life threatening injuries are best positioned to provide first care. According to a recent National Academies of Science study, trauma is the leading cause of death for Americans under age 46.

Remember to be aware of your surroundings and move yourself and the injured person to safety, if necessary.

Call 911

You may be able to save a life by taking simple actions immediately, here are three you can take to help save a life:

Stop the Bleed
No matter how rapid the arrival of professional emergency responders, bystanders will always be first on the scene.  A person who is bleeding can die from blood loss within five minutes, so it's important to quickly stop the blood loss.  Remember to be aware of your surroundings and move yourself and the injured person to safety, if necessary.  CALL 911.  Bystanders can take simple steps to keep the injured alive until appropriate medical care is available. Here are three actions that you can take to help save a life:
1. Apply Pressure with Hands. EXPOSE to find where the bleeding is coming from and apply FIRM, STEADY PRESSURE to the bleeding site with both hands if possible.
1. Apply Dressing and Press. EXPOST to find where the bleeding is coming from and apply FIRM, STEADY PRESSURE to the bleeding site with bandages or clothing.
3. Apply Tourniquet(s).  If the bleeding doesn't stop, place a tournequet 2-3 inches closer to the torso from the bleeding. The tourniquet may be applied and secured over clothing. PULL the strap through the buckle, TWIST the rod tightly, CLIP and SECURE the rod with the clasp or the Velcro strap. If the bleeding still doesn't stop, place a second touniquet closer to the torso from the first tourniquet.
The "Stop the Bleed" campaign was initiated by a federal interagency workgroup convened by the National Security Staff, The White House.  The purpose of the campaign is to build national resilience by better preparing the public to save lives by raising awareness of basic actions to stop life threatening bleeding following everyday emergencies and man-made and natural disasters. Advances made by military medicine and research in hemorrhage control during the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq have informed the work of this initiative which exmplifies translation of knowledge back to the homeland to the benefit of the general public. The Department of Defense owns the "Stop the Bleed" logo and phrase - trademark pending
US Department of Homeland Security logo and seal - Office of Health Affairs
T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
10/4/17 12:17 p.m.

Where are we supposed to get the tourniquets? It is not something I routinely carry around with me. Seems like the infographic would be more applicable if they showed using a shoelace or belt or necktie or scarf or just about anything other than some sort of dedicated tourniquet that we don't have.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
10/4/17 12:19 p.m.

Thanks for this. I didn’t know. I usually see this sort of thing in the movies, and blow it off as “Hollywood”. 

Woody
10/4/17 12:28 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

If you watch the video (2 minute, 56 second mark), they tell you that you can improvise, though they use the manufactured ones for the demonstration. 

Anyone on this forum could fabricate a functional tourniquet in less than thirty seconds. 

Here's an example: Remove the patients socks, tie them together and wrap them around the injured limb. Tie another knot. Twist either knot until the bleeding stops. Hold tension on the knot until first responders arrive.

Simple actions can make a big difference.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
10/4/17 12:50 p.m.

I always carry wire on my work van. A belt when at church. And wear shoes everywhere else. So I’m covered on “turn in kits”

Toebra
Toebra HalfDork
10/4/17 3:57 p.m.

I am already all set. 

Have a belt that would work as a tourniquet on me most of the time, and a box of that quick clot stuff and some sterile gloves in the trunk of the car.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/17 4:24 p.m.

Thanks for the share. 

This is another one of those things that should be covered in a middle or high school class called Life Skills. It should cover everything from first aid, to how to feed yourself, to how to change a diaper. 

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
10/4/17 4:32 p.m.
T.J. said:

Where are we supposed to get the tourniquets? It is not something I routinely carry around with me. Seems like the infographic would be more applicable if they showed using a shoelace or belt or necktie or scarf or just about anything other than some sort of dedicated tourniquet that we don't have.

CAT 7 Tourniquets can be purchased through Amazon or North American Rescue (who is the manufacturer.)  I carry one in my car in the center console so I can put it on myself if need be. After numerous years spent in Afghanistan I'm used to having one on hand as it's seriously an invaluable tool. But I also carry a medical bag/blowout kit in my trunk too so I guess I'm an outlier.

You really want the Gen 7 ones as there were a bunch of improvements done from lessons learned in combat environments.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
10/4/17 4:37 p.m.
Toebra said:

I am already all set. 

Have a belt that would work as a tourniquet on me most of the time, and a box of that quick clot stuff and some sterile gloves in the trunk of the car.

Remember Quick Clot, by itself, isn't designed to go into deep wounds like abdominal injuries. The bandages infused with it may but dumping a bag of the powder in there can cause a bunch of problems. Plus it hurts like hell when it activates.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/4/17 4:43 p.m.

Thanks for the video, it was interesting. yes

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
10/5/17 8:38 a.m.

In reply to The0retical :

Thanks for the info. Looking at them on Amazon right now.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
10/5/17 8:39 a.m.

In reply to Woody :

I obviously didn't watch the video and was just commenting on the info graphic.

Thanks for posting it though - it is a good reminder to think about first aid and being a responder.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/29/22 10:55 a.m.

a bleeding canoe?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/29/22 11:12 a.m.
Trackmouse said:

I always carry wire on my work van. A belt when at church. And wear shoes everywhere else. So I’m covered on “turn in kits”

Wire isn't really a good idea.  It'll cut into the skin and potentially do more damage.  Stick with the belt, socks, or something wider if possible.  In the end you gotta do what you gotta do, though.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/22 12:38 p.m.

Canoe got canoed in 23 minutes. Fascinating.

90BuickCentury
90BuickCentury Reader
5/29/22 1:55 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Canoe got canoed in 23 minutes. Fascinating.

I'm guessing it's the same person using 2 different accounts.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
5/29/22 2:58 p.m.

First aid and cpr training are almost free and are an amazing tool kit everyone should have.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c4jgzjznQkRJUe3lmTQKTEGkOIO8w1DACRVhxTIdm38aVnun2xpMLniX93y9crcJ