1 2 3 4 5 6
wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
11/19/21 10:19 a.m.

1988 Fiero GT (the year with the better handling and brakes),  ass 3.4 engine and turbo.  Kept me happy for two decades.

HotNotch
HotNotch New Reader
11/19/21 10:23 a.m.

I really, really enjoyed PimpM3's former Nissan NX2000 while I owned it.  Definitely fits the bill for me regarding quirky, oddball, and fun

I also have an 3rd Gen 1988 Honda Accord Hatch, and while I enjoy it, it doesn't have the same feel as the Nissan.

+1 on Foxbody SVO's, though they are increasing in value, but 8K should buy a decent to nice one.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
11/19/21 10:42 a.m.
wspohn said:

1988 Fiero GT (the year with the better handling and brakes),  ass 3.4 engine and turbo.  Kept me happy for two decades.

I'd love to find one.  They're getting hard to find in my price range.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/19/21 10:48 a.m.

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

It was previously theorized here on GRM that it might be wise to avoid the '88 Fiero. Yes, the suspension and brakes are better but since these are one-year parts, they are also harder to source than the popular 84-87 parts.

I remember too that the engine cradle is unique for 88 making engine swaps more challenging. 

11/19/21 10:53 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Sorry, should have been more clear.  Fiero GTs in general are getting harder to find in that price range.  I can find a 2M4 or 2M6 SE, but I prefer the GT bodystyle.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/19/21 10:56 a.m.

Agreed all are hard to find. I was just advising to be cautious of spending more to get a 88. The 88 comes with some rewards but the parts availability becomes a negative. 

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
11/19/21 10:59 a.m.

Just random thoughts that appeal to me, and maybe not you.

11/19/21 11:12 a.m.

Yes, the Capri is very high on my list.  Really nice ones can be found for sub-$5k.  I don't have much experience with them, but know they are on the 323 platform and have a Miata based engine.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/19/21 11:29 a.m.

...and optional turbo engine too.  Hardtops are plentiful and not crazy expensive like Miata tops.

With top on they also look rather AW11-like.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/19/21 11:41 a.m.

I'm loving this thread because I want one of everything that has been recommended.  

I'm having trouble getting the 1991 Infiniti M30 Convertible out of my head.  If times were different, I'd be rushing to get this.  It's a killer deal for a nice, reliable cruiser.  The drivetrain is 300z, 3.0L w/rear drive and factory lsd.  Only offered with auto trans though.   Think 300zx 2+2 but with better dimensions and a more real back seat.

This one has 87k miles and asking $6,000.  Claims to have new top and new tires too.

Its funny that the seller only shows the car with top up.  These cars look better with top down.  When up, the top seems a little overly tall.  

Details

sergio
sergio HalfDork
11/19/21 11:44 a.m.

In reply to stroker :

It was the SVT Contour. For that matter a SHO 5 speed is similar but a little heavier.

11/19/21 11:45 a.m.

Yeah, I saw some Capri XR2 for a good price.  Oddly, many of them seem to be one owner.  Guess people who bought them loved them.  Given the powertrain components, I presume they're pretty reliable??

I like the 924 idea too, but wonder how much trouble I'd be buying.  

My wife's weekend car is a 996 and we have a 128i for one of our daily drivers, so I want to mitigate my risks just a bit.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/19/21 11:49 a.m.

Pulsar NX with or without the sportback 

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
11/19/21 11:57 a.m.

Some more lunch time ideas.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/19/21 12:19 p.m.
fatallightning said:

Some more lunch time ideas.

Contour SVTs were cool, I always felt they got a bad reputation for no good reason.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/19/21 12:21 p.m.

A BMW 128i as a daily and a 996 available too makes some of these choices rather redundant and moot.  As much as I like the M30, I'm not sure I'd drive it much if I could be driving a 128i.  

11/19/21 12:32 p.m.
John Welsh said:

A BMW 128i as a daily and a 996 available too makes some of these choices rather redundant and moot.  As much as I like the M30, I'm not sure I'd drive it much if I could be driving a 128i.  

Precisely.  That's why I'm looking for something offbeat, quirky, strange, fun (from a cool factor).  I've got a pair of really fun cars to drive already.  I just have a taste for unusual and different cars.  If I go to Cars and Coffee I don't want to see an entire row of my car.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
11/19/21 12:42 p.m.

88 Twin Cam Nova

[URL=https://app.photobucket.com/u/NOTATA/a/04015401-9760-4c0a-83c5-10e71a785cec/p/025a853c-c25c-4496-81cb-ad8c2971c9c2][/URL]

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/19/21 12:52 p.m.

Classic SUV is a thing now.  I might lean hard into that with the Isuzu Amigo.   Be "even rarer" by keeping it stock. 

Gen1:

Or, Gen2:

These were the basis for the more expensive and rare Vehicross:

With you in Atlanta, an Amigo could give you a convertible like flow of air but with the luxury of still being protected under a roof from beating sun.  Not as small and as tin-can as a Samuri.   Really the two door version of the popular Isuzu Rodeo:

When we lost the Curmudgeon, the world lost a lot of Isuzu info but I had a long time ago bookmarked his thoughts on Amigos: 
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/deep-isuzu-rodeo-thoughts/36444/page1/

Every SUV used to offer a 2 door.  They are now all gone except for the 2dr Wrangler which makes up less than 25% of the Wrangler sales.  I was amazed that Bronco even offered a 2 dr.  

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/19/21 1:06 p.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:
John Welsh said:

Precisely.  That's why I'm looking for something offbeat, quirky, strange, fun (from a cool factor).  I've got a pair of really fun cars to drive already.  I just have a taste for unusual and different cars.  If I go to Cars and Coffee I don't want to see an entire row of my car.

I think the Starion/Conquest should creep up the list just a bit, based on this.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/19/21 1:08 p.m.

318ti are less and less common.

Subaru XT6

180sx / 200sx

I never see a gen1 eclipse/laser/talon on the road

chrysler crossfire (yes I know too new)

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/21 1:40 p.m.

Geo Storm wagon

Corolla FX16 GT-S

AE-92 GTS

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/19/21 1:41 p.m.

Peugeot 405 Mi16 or 505?

Mazda 929 (HB series)

Import a kei car from Japan? Or even buy one already here?

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/19/21 5:58 p.m.
ddavidv said:

So much better than the specs would indicate:

Loved mine, and owned it for 12 years.

I don't know what kind of Audi that is, but being a not-goofy looking early version of a now luxurious marquee gives it pretty cool cred. 

I gotta say though that any period BMW or Porsche is not going to be anything like quirky or unique. But yeah man, given the age you're aiming for, it's gotta be SUPER clean (this Audi, too), otherwise you're just going to look as broke as someone with an E85 Z4 with hints of surface rust showing up at a BMWCCA fall colors tour. blush

On the other hand, if that SVT appeals to you, I have a Jaaaag version to sell you, with lots of wiggle room for making it SHINE

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/21 6:23 p.m.

That's a Coupe GT.  The front wheel drive car that the ur-quattro was based on.

It's essentially a front wheel drive, five cylinder Audi 4000 in hatchback form.  Really cool car.  There is a very German-ness vibe to it, like if you crossed a Rabbit GTI with a Mercedes's solidity in feel, with a bit of 911 flair, largely in the driving position.

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iTgo2ftLoE9yJxj2XAo73j5kNTKihg9feIDclgLS4Yy1oTrpFMg8rlMuTIwOPBoj