1 ... 3 4 5 6
Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
11/22/21 2:56 a.m.
John Welsh said:

Isuzu Vehicross is the bazaar suv. Cool but cult following

Those are early 2000s, and you won't find one for $8k.

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
11/22/21 3:13 a.m.

An Alfa Milano is actually a reasonable choice to look for, you might be able to find one of the 2.5 ones for under $8k still.  I had one and drove it daily for a few years, it was actually mostly reliable, it only had one mechanical failure that required a tow truck the whole time I had it (broken throwout bearing).  They handle pretty well, and aren't hard to work on, probably the worst parts about them are the headlights are too dim to drive at night unless you get the euro spec ones and rewire them with relays, the HVAC system isn't going to work and the parts to get it working again don't exist anymore, and the exhaust system is pretty much hangs down below everything else so the car will look like it sits really high but will still scrape on speed bumps.  

Or, if you want an 80s car that isn't miserable to keep running right and is reliable enough to drive daily once it's sorted out, get a diesel Mercedes, preferably a w201, w124 or w126 with the om601,602 or 603 engine.  They are not powerful but run way better than primitive 80s fuel injection that wasn't meant for modern 10-15% ethanol gasoline.  The older om617 is ok too but slower and takes more maintenance.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
11/22/21 6:36 a.m.

So many different good ideas...I just need to build a giant storage barn.

It's hard to narrow it down.  Floating around the top of my list is the Capri XR2 (partly because they can be had cheap for a nice example), Olds Cutlass 'vert (I don't know why, but it just is), Reatta, Fiero, Gen II or III Supra (if I can find one), maybe 924??, first gen Integra, SVX, very early C4 (not quirky, but very 80's cool, uncommon and can be had in budget).  Heck, I'm even looking at the "Betty White" advertised on this forum and haven't totally ruled out SVreX BMW (just worried about the custom bits if something happens to it). 

In reality I guess it comes down to personal taste.  The car doesn't need to be fast and doesn't need to handle well.  I've got those bases covered.  It just needs to put a smile on my face, not be stupid hard/expensive to maintain and have at least a 50/50 shot at starting when I turn the key, LOL.  Grrrr...choices, choices.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/22/21 7:19 a.m.

I like the Olds vert idea.  Olds had some interesting special models in that era.  I think 4 seat verts are neat.

I like the Regatta idea too. In a combination of ideas, the Regatta offered a rare-ish factory convertible too but only two seat like all Reatta . Pretty cool. 

But, caution on any Regatta. As I barely remember it, the earliest years had a funky touch screen that ran not just the radio but all the hvac too. The Riviera of that era had it too. The touchscreens were problematic and eventually through the model run at least the hvac went non-touch screen. Those screens are now un-obtanium. 

Research this topic further but the non touch hvac is much more desirable. 

My small town Ford Dealership has this Reatta convertible on the lot, and it's been there a long time... 

https://www.valleyfordofhuroninc.com/used/Buick/1990-Buick-Reatta-fceac5d70a0e09af524805fd362aedad.htm

It seems to have the desirable hvac controls. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/22/21 7:28 a.m.

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

Ok, you've mentioned the SVX a couple times. As my screen name implies, it's a subject I know a little about. So here is an out of the box suggestion...

5 spd SVX. 

Smart readers will note that there is no such thing. But they are super easy to build with bolt-on parts only- all Subaru. 

I built one. It was my first swap project. I had NO mechanical experience whatsoever. 

You can buy a really clean car with a sketchy auto for $5K. Honestly, they are available for under $2K. $3K will easily cover the budget for the swap, with enough room to install coil overs at all 4 corners. 

It's an extremely well documented swap. Step-by-step instructions are available online. Even an amateur can build one in a couple months worth of casual weekend effort. And once you are finished, all service work can be done at your local Subaru dealership. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/21 7:34 a.m.

Has Yugo been mentioned yet?

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
11/22/21 7:35 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Well, I know a little about THAT one too! Haha!

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
11/22/21 7:41 a.m.

Comparing the Yugo to the SVX...

For a street driven quirky car that can be appreciated at cars and coffee and still offer an absolutely fantastic driving experience?  The SVX wins hands down. 

For a ridiculously awesome gigglefest on an autocross course?  Yeah, that's the Yugo. (In fact the SVX is fast, but downright boring)

11/22/21 8:40 a.m.

John,

Thanks!  Yeah, just something about the Olds that strikes me right and always has.  Like you said, they built some interesting and oddball cars back in those days.  I just like the overall look, inside and out.  For whatever reason, I also like the exhaust note that V6 had.  It's the same base engine that I believe was used in things like the Celebrity Eurosport, Lumina Z34, 6000STE, Fiero, Firebird, etc...  It just had a unique sound.

I figure the CRT in the Reatta is un-obtanium.  Sad part is that it's one of the things that draws me to the car, very '80s.  I'm also having a hard time rationalizing it over an early C4.  The '84 was half-baked when it left the factory, in typical GM fashion, so I'll probably skip that.  However, the '85-'87 can be had in good condition for cheap money.  Not quirky, but becoming more rare and chock full of '80s charm too.  They're also mechanically simple machines with cheap parts and plenty of upgrades available.  I know the Reatta used the ubiquitous 3800, so parts are cheap for it too.

SVreX,

If I bought an SVX, it would be in stock form or already converted.  I have no doubt it's a relatively simple swap, but being realistic I know it's something that will never get done.  My schedule simply wouldn't allow it, even if I had the necessary skills.  For example, 8 of the last 10 weekends of 2021 I have been/am travelling.  The only two that I'm not are Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I simply don't have time.  I just am having a hard time finding any SVXs for sale, let alone decent ones in my price range.

Yugo is cool, but probably not what I'm looking for.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/22/21 9:18 a.m.

If hardtop Reatta stays on your list, maybe add Olds Trofeo to the list also. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
11/22/21 9:31 a.m.

That surprises me. $8K should buy a decent SVX

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/21 10:10 a.m.
Espartan (Forum Supporter)
Espartan (Forum Supporter) New Reader
11/22/21 10:48 a.m.
bluebarchetta
bluebarchetta Reader
11/22/21 11:08 a.m.

Starting in 1990, the Reatta no longer had the touchscreen, so if that's a worry for you, you could limit your search to 90-93. 

I've looked into Reattas and Allantes b/c my wife hates my Miata and won't travel long distances in it (heresy, I know).  What I learned was that Allantes have a lot more electrical trouble than Reattas (even the touch-screen Reattas).  I see a lot of Allantes that run well, but whose center-stack-full-o'-buttons and/or primitive BCM has crapped the bed, so no HVAC and no audio.  And little to nothing is shared with the mainstream deVille, so you have to fix the electronics you've got or send away for components out of junked Allantes, which may or may not be better than what you've got.  I also believe the Allante was the first GM with an electronically controlled transaxle (check me on that).  If you're a guy that can crack open and troubleshoot 80s electronics and are a wizard at soldering, then an Allante is a bargain.  For the rest of us...not so much.

By contrast, the Reatta used mostly Riviera mechanicals and electronics, so parts are a LOT easier to come by.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
11/22/21 12:57 p.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

Ooooh....Impulse.  Wonder if they can even be found anymore???  Forgetting the name of it now, but what was that bizarre looking Isuzu 2 door SUV?  Wonder if they're expensive.

AW11 is at the top of my bucket list.  I don't think I can justify owning a 2-seater at this point, unfortunately.  I've seen nice looking listings of  the cars OP listed at under $8k in the last few months.  Maybe that's because many of these cars live a bit longer in FL.   Even the XR4Ti pops up regularly. 

• I'll add Volvos:  240, 740, even 850, if you're willing to FWD.  $8k you can buy a nice one...or maybe even a v8 swapped car. 
  • I'll second the Alfa milano or 164
  • I didn't see Peugeot listed.  I'd love to own a nice 505, they're really hard to find. 

Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo 1988 | Charsonville (45), France. | Flickr

The Isuzu impulse probably slightly less rare than the Peugeot...it's been a few years since i saw one listed. I suppose take-what-you-can-get...but they did make them in both RWD and AWD Turbo.  There was a bit of crossover w/Geo, so there may be some hope for parts availabiltiy.  This one was posted/sold in 2012. 

Jonathan Olschewski's 1991 Isuzu Impulse on Wheelwell

Isuzu's forgotten sports car: The Impulse RS - Japanese

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/22/21 1:01 p.m.

Sure,this one is not your price point but I love it for the "quirk" factor.  I always like the looks of these... 

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/d/beachwood-1983-plymouth-sapporo-miles/7408383436.html

There will not be another at your C&C. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/22/21 1:07 p.m.

Dodge Shadow has been mentioned and convertibles have been mentioned but not Dodge Shadow Convertibles

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
11/22/21 1:08 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

How is it possible that a 40 year old personal luxury Mitsubishi with crushed velour bench seats can be worth $21,500??

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
11/22/21 1:54 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Sure,this one is not your price point but I love it for the "quirk" factor.  I always like the looks of these... 

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/d/beachwood-1983-plymouth-sapporo-miles/7408383436.html

Ha! I was going to post that or the badge twinned Charger. A buddy had a 4g63 swapped one that was quite rapid.

And his wife's stock daily one:

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/21 4:29 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to John Welsh :

How is it possible that a 40 year old personal luxury Mitsubishi with crushed velour bench seats can be worth $21,500??

It's the same universe that thinks a 2004 Land Rover Discovery with 100k+ miles is a $20k car.

Pete. (l33t FS)
11/22/21 4:37 p.m.
Hoondavan said:

Jonathan Olschewski's 1991 Isuzu Impulse on Wheelwell

Ironically enough, the engine in this is from an Allante.  The intake manifold is bizarre.  I thought all 4.1/4.5/4.9 engines had a carb type manifold with TBI or a TBI throttle body with port injection.  Not the Allante.

Pete. (l33t FS)
11/22/21 4:40 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Ha!  The original owner of a BLUE '83 Sapporo just took it out of storage and sold it. It still had the original tires on it.  IIRC he did not get $21k but it was close.

I dunno if GRM remembers the 400 mile '01 Taurus.  He bought it.  Sold it for a lot of profit. It just got resold from that buyer, for $16k.  

11/22/21 6:11 p.m.

So here is the resolution to this thread.  It's not necessarily "quirky" or "oddball" at all, but it is the somewhat unique factor that I'm looking for.  Early C4s are getting thinner and thinner on the ground.  I also love the purely 80's style wheels and 80's dash.  

Well...this is part one of the answer anyway.  I got it for a really good price, so the wife has given permission to get another quirkball if I can find a good bargain.  laugh

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/22/21 6:35 p.m.

Yikes!  I have very strong feelings about C4 Corvettes.  

11/22/21 6:40 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

Yikes!  I have very strong feelings about C4 Corvettes.  

Hey, did you get the e-mail I sent you about the Mustang?  I was giving you an update on it.  Good stuff!!

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1n7ELzNPD6jM9BcvBjHD3UHD68Ep04Wvmj5EKhpX4REzvtoQ2QthZtfeSETNglQS