1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/5/20 10:39 a.m.
feature_image

After a lucky few got to see a lightly veiled prototype of the next-generation BRZ back in early October, Subaru is once again teasing the new model, though this time without any camouflaging.

So far, Subaru has given us the headlight picture above, along with a short video that you can watch over on the reveal page that has a …

Read the rest of the story

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/5/20 10:53 a.m.

It won't happen, but I want an H6. 

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/5/20 10:55 a.m.

I think I'm more excited about KPower releasing the K swap kit for the old BRZ than I am about the new BRZ.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
11/5/20 11:01 a.m.

2.4L 250hp. Nice!

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/5/20 11:57 a.m.

In reply to ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) :

K power in a frisbee? Now that sounds like a nice combination.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/5/20 12:14 p.m.

I see a bunch of  Supra/BMW in that.   

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/5/20 12:25 p.m.

For the guy that wants the new Z before the new Z comes out but still is ok with less than 400 hp.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/5/20 12:42 p.m.

Noooo!  Wait until 2021.  January 2nd would be fine.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
11/5/20 1:21 p.m.

There are a few very specific things I selfishly hope about this thing.

1. Similar underpinnings to the current car- if everything underneath is just an improved version of the previous generation, I can make use of a lot of that on my car.
  2. An engine that can be swapped into the previous generation- rules for ARA L2WD say the engine "must have been normally available in the same model range from manufacturer" so that would be amazing once these start showing up crashed.
  3. That it's awesome and sells super well- hopefully driving down prices of the first generation cars.
irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/5/20 2:02 p.m.
dean1484 said:

I see a bunch of  Supra/BMW in that.   

I definitely see the Supra there (the old one, though). 

I'm stoked the BRZ is getting a second generation. Sure seems like the cars we love don't usually stick around that long any more, except for the Miata.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/5/20 2:42 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) :

Because no one buys them new, they just wait around for them to become cheap used, and then complain that there are none around. 

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
11/5/20 2:50 p.m.

Considering a new car next year, I'm curious.

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
11/5/20 3:07 p.m.

Getting anxious on this one, and I usually don't pay mind to reveals.

Appleseed said:

Because no one buys them new, they just wait around for them to become cheap used, and then complain that there are none around. 

Exactly. I'm not blaming the manufacturers here. It's cool that these are selling enough to continue to justify their existence.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/5/20 7:16 p.m.

Is a BRZ in anyway compatible with Tall? At 5'-17" I can't it in an answer.. and would love a fun & light RWD car. 

gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/5/20 7:26 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

Is a BRZ in anyway compatible with Tall? At 5'-17" I can't it in an answer.. and would love a fun & light RWD car. 

Maybe.  Todd from the everyday driver podcast owned one for a few years and fit well and he is i think 6 foot 4 with a long torso. He doesn't fit in miatas either but does fit in his lotus elise

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/5/20 7:28 p.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

I’m 6’5” and sat in one. I think knees were a little tight under the steering wheel but not any more than in my Neon. I remember thinking I could make it work.

Not sure how much space there would have been if I were wearing a helmet.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/5/20 7:43 p.m.
Appleseed said:

I don't know. A lot of us are creeping up there in years. At some point I'm going to jetison hard-riding customs and tuck myself into  nice new MX-5 or BRZ, and I promise to hand it off to one of you whipersnappers at some point!

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/5/20 7:46 p.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) :

I think the character of a k series fits this chassis perfectly, and the Frisbees would have been true all time greats had they come with something like that from the factory. That being said, I don't see the expense to swap one being worth it, at all. For the cost and effort, might as well go LSx.

I usually don't pay much mind to new car launches, but this is one I'll be watching closely. The original is going to be a tough act to follow, but I like what I've heard so far. Hopefully Subaru can preserve the character of the old car while improving the powertrain.  

Can't wait to read some road tests and just maybe snag a test drive myself. I don't plan on getting rid of my '15 FRS anytime soon, but you never know...

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/5/20 7:47 p.m.

the other issue i see is that most new BRZ's are in the Mustang GT price range. Koons ford sells base gt's for 30k.

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/5/20 7:51 p.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

I'm 6'3" and they fit me better than just about any sporty car I've driven. Helmet is no problem.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
11/5/20 8:25 p.m.

Looks too much like the Zupra. But maybe folks flock to it and flood the market with older models. A man can dream. 

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/5/20 8:43 p.m.

Headlight gives me a Cayman vibe. 

I like it so far, not that I'm in the market for one. If it drives the price down for the first gen that'd be sweet, except that it would tempt me to git rid of the Miata for one. 

Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
11/5/20 9:03 p.m.

guh!!?!?!??  What's the word for "ugly" and the F word?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZG2mfJZSFEjL9UGiau1W0AS8Hbpjdt7gLCRhsbDct5RKWNKiiPvYLytjNcf1sWMV