Guest Writer
Guest Writer Writer
8/24/22 9:54 a.m.
feature_image

Report courtesy Summit Racing.

Aaron Shoe was looking for a unique challenge for himself and his 2006 Mitsubishi Evolution.

The longtime autocrosser and SCCA competitor hadn’t participated in any national events since 2017, and he was looking for a different experience. “I found a lot of interesting events this year, and Autocross Week was one of them,” he said. “There …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/24/22 9:56 a.m.

Trying to think what car I'd take on a week-long autocross series. Is Miata still the answer here? 

te72
te72 HalfDork
8/25/22 8:19 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

If the distance between tracks is more than about 4 hours, I'd lean toward no, unless you're a smaller framed person. Driving to Vegas from our little corner of Wyoming was not at all a fun trip...

This is basically what I built my Supra for, to be able to drive to the track, kick ass, have fun, and drive home. Reality however, has been drive to the track, get my ass kicked, have fun, fix whatever's not happy on the car, and drive home.

Always loved and appreciated the concept behind Drag Week, but have no interest in drag racing anymore. This is perfect to me... any chance of a western hemisphere event next year?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/25/22 9:35 p.m.

I find a hard top Miata with cruise not a big deal on long trips.  I go for the answer.  Maybe with boost.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/25/22 10:10 p.m.

This looks like a fun event.  

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/25/22 10:17 p.m.
Stampie said:

I find a hard top Miata with cruise not a big deal on long trips.  I go for the answer.  Maybe with boost.

I agree. My first Miata was a very comfortable highway car. The combination was a hardtop, cruise, good AC, six speed to lower the RPMs a bit, stock exhaust and suspension, and an excellent aftermarket seat. I wasn't traveling that far from home for events yet, so the longest round trip was only about 200 miles, but I'm sure that it would have been fine for an eight or ten hour drive. 

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/22 5:20 a.m.

C5Z06 or Tesla 3.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EDCdHx0VX6prcC1SyZNLthikMMvgl96dftcYGSmQw5pI0rTUxvGlpnvi2Pbom1Zp