Has anyone used them? Thoughts?

I'm considering them for my Lucky Dog race car.

https://www.superspeedwheels.com/flowform-rf06rr

fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
8/9/22 10:35 a.m.

Never heard of them, what's the price? If they're priced below flowformed Konigs, sure why not if you want TeeHee style. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/9/22 10:49 a.m.

In reply to fatallightning :

Because failing wheels in race cars are not fun and the cheapest possible option is not always the strong choice?

Chances are they're built in one of just a small number of factories like most wheels, so it's going to come down to the quality of the design. I'd also look at the load rating and maybe fudge a bit on the high side because of the loads you're expecting to put into them. They have a "limited lifetime structural" warranty, take a look at that.

Edit: 
5) The warranty covers for the following defects:
a) If the wheels arrive at the consumer with any structural cracks.
b) If the wheels cause leaks when mounted properly with tires.
c) If the wheels arrive the consumer out of round and unable to balance within standard limits when mounted properly with tires.

P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff)
P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff) GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/9/22 11:57 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

The specs are similar to the Kosei K5's that I'm running now, and the price is less than anything else I've considered so far.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/9/22 12:17 p.m.

Haven't heard of them but in my experience cheaper wheels tend to be overbuilt, so they're skimping on performance rather than safety. I have plenty of experience driving in and with cars on cheapo-brand wheels and haven't had any issues with them. There are a few track cars and heavy EVs running their wheels from their Facebook page:

https://m.facebook.com/superspeedwheels/posts/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=0

I might also be interested in those K5s if they're 15x8s and you're looking to sell them (Edit: nvm, I see they're 5-bolt, looking for 4-bolt)

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/9/22 12:36 p.m.

The details on the wheels look pretty nice. Getting custom wheels designed and built seems to be easier these days. Phil's Tire Service recently had a wheel built for Spec Miata usage. Until that, they were just a reseller/dealer for other manufacturers. 

as Keith mentioned, they are probably manufactured by the same place as  the other wheel brands so you're probably ok

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/9/22 12:41 p.m.

Cheaper wheels built for style are often overbuilt, but cheaper wheels built for light weight (like these) may not be. And as ND Miata owners learned fairly recently with premature failures of a well-respected wheel brand, sometimes that light weight comes at the cost of durability. That's why there's a minimum weight for SM wheels, which I think is an excellent regulation. It's not necessarily a manufacturing problem, as that's basically a constant given the small number of factories turning out affordable wheels.

Phil's has been involved in the custom wheel business for nearly a decade, BTW. The Jongbloeds they sell aren't really related to the high end forged wheels out of California with the same name.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HB3YDkA7ulB18fSpz5IYj5hb614cJs0J9xbaIfZh7pakM0ptsLvoQfrhTQyeFw9B