JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
1/3/20 12:30 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/7MG7hBJbQ38

On this episode of GRM Live! Presented by CRC Industries we're exploring a few different methods for removing troublesome suspension bushings, including the right way, the easy way, the safe way, and the best way (not necessarily the same).

Watch More Grassroots Motorsports Videos.

Watch more videos

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/3/20 12:43 p.m.

If it's anything like my datsun mustache bar bushings, the correct answer is set ablaze and go have dinner where the smoke isn't.  

Toebra
Toebra Dork
1/3/20 1:01 p.m.

I always press them in and out, got the right tools for the job for like $50.  Did the Miata last year, relatively painless.  I am sure was way easier than motor mounts, oxygen sensors and catalytic convertor are going to be.  Just time consuming.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
1/3/20 1:43 p.m.

Hmmm, when I did my NA Miata bushings the advice I was given was to heat the metal around the bushing until it started to smoke, then knock out the bushing with a deep well socket.  It isn't as dramatic as setting the whole thing on fire but it was much quicker and less stinky.  And due to the conduction of heat I don't believe I got the metal any hotter than you did.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
1/3/20 1:47 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

I did my NB by using a Harbor Freight heat gun and a homemade sleeve with a bunch of long bolts.  The sleeve was a 3" piece of roll cage tubing.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/3/20 1:50 p.m.

When I did the bushings in my NA, I tried heating around them, but after 25 years, they were in there good. I ended up having to resort to setting them mildly on fire while pushing on them with a punch to get them to pop loose. Dirty, smelly, sticky work. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
1/3/20 2:15 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Oh FSM!  I can't imagine the heat gun was doing you any good at all.

BTW, I did try to press them out using a 12 ton HF shop press.  It did not have enough grunt and ended up bending the push shaft.  I tried the drillbit trick and it failed for me as well.  "Heat it till it smokes" worked beautifully.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/3/20 4:35 p.m.

Pushing new bushings in is several orders of magnitude easier than pushing an old one out.  I have the factory supplied tools to remove several different Volvo suspension bushings, and I think I'd be lying if I said they worked 25% of the time for removal.

Flame wrench to the rescue.

tr8todd
tr8todd SuperDork
1/3/20 4:40 p.m.

Soak them in a bucket of gas overnight and then set on fire.  Spectacular!

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/3/20 5:10 p.m.

I thought wielding a sledgehammer while screaming at the offending part usually worked.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
1/3/20 7:39 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

The heat gun is good for 800-900 degrees. The bushings were getting gooey on the surface. I could put the bushings under tension with the bolts and sleeve and then hit them with the heat . You could hear them release from the steel A-arms. A torch would have been quicker, but I don't have one.

JG Pasterjak
1/3/20 8:16 p.m.

I miss my "gas mask and Tevas" phase.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/3/20 8:46 p.m.

Somewhere I have a photo of you wearing that gas mask while sitting on my couch. 

David S. Wallens
1/3/20 8:48 p.m.

Found it. 

David S. Wallens
1/3/20 8:49 p.m.

Even better. 

Toebra
Toebra Dork
1/3/20 11:44 p.m.

It helps to be doing them on a car that has never seen salt

If you are breaking out the flame wrench, at least go do it in the driveway.  I would want a hood to work under, like they have in a chemistry lab, for that sort of stuff, or maybe a big fan to blow the toxic fumes away from me.    

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/4/20 1:09 p.m.

Looks like you are telling me to bring the bushing to GRM HQ and let you guys do it.   cheeky

boxedfox
boxedfox Reader
1/4/20 2:23 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

"And in the office to our right is Art Director JG Pasterjak. JG has just finished his doomsday preparations and is now relaxing with with his favorite beverage, a refreshing glass of honey mustard sauce."

JG Pasterjak
1/4/20 4:14 p.m.
boxedfox said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

"And in the office to our right is Art Director JG Pasterjak. JG has just finished his doomsday preparations and is now relaxing with with his favorite beverage, a refreshing glass of buttermilk ranch dressing."

Probaly honey mustard, but, yeah, this is a typical Thursday.

boxedfox
boxedfox Reader
1/4/20 7:09 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Ah, yes, my apologies. Fixed.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VymII5GLx54qZVGcNiJmwI0TyFJk7kQ1JTiOiZoH8lldmVPHaKfbTEftPLQYeb7e