GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/25/18 9:42 p.m.

My 2003 SVT Focus has been throwing a P1518 code for the last, I don't know 18 months? I used to just reset it, but obviously I finally need to replace the Manifold Runner Control Module which is a known failure piece on this car at 50-70K, so no surprise. I surfed the interwebs, got the part number and ordered it online from a Ford Dealer. 

About 6 months after buying the part I go to my mechanic so he can install and he cannot even find the job in his system so he could not even figure out the labor. Considering this is a limited edition, no other car uses the DOHC 2.0L Zetec in US, I was not totally surprised. From youtube videos based upon the English ST170 cousin of the SVT it appeared as though the IMRC is on the firewall. I suggested that location and the mechanic started working with what I think is my cruise control module on the firewall. He comes back to me and says I have the wrong part (would not be the first time.) I think he was looking at the wrong part on my car. I think the ST170 and SVT may have different layouts due to steering locations. I know the IMRC is supposed to connect to a lever via a cable underneath the intake. But I cannot actually figure out where the IMRC is physically located. I have two young kids and my car is blocks away in another garage so I can't really start digging in. I thought, hey buy a used Chilton book and figure it out. Just got the book and on the back cover 'does not cover the SVT Focus'  - FU Chilton.

Chances are I will sell the car with the part in the box and say 'install yourself', but I would rather fix it if I can before selling (canoe - for sale in SF, CA - 70K miles.)  I am sick of searching the Focus forums and youtube, I just cannot figure out where this thing is located. Instructions have reference removing either the drivers side headlight or the drivers side inner fender well so is it under the battery or something?

Anyone changed this part before either as an owner or as a pro. I don't think it is in the same location as other Focus motors like the duratecs, could be wrong. Thanks

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/25/18 10:32 p.m.

Uh, I never did mine but I think it is in the intake manifold itself.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/25/18 10:41 p.m.
nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
8/26/18 10:15 a.m.

Lol. If anyone knows where the oil sending unit goes/is let me know. It took a while to get a Haynes that covered the SVT.indecision What is the price on your doodad?

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
8/26/18 10:18 a.m.

Now that I remember when I went under the SVT there is some disconnected/hanging wiring in the general location mentioned in the link above. indecision

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
8/26/18 6:10 p.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

2.0 Zetec used in ZX2 and late Focus. Not same intake.

Oil sender on firewall side.   Easier access from underneath.                                                              Next to the oil filter

GTwannaB
8/26/18 10:43 p.m.

Reply to Robbie: thank you thank you now I know where to start

Reply to AnthonyGS looking at double challenge pricing

Reply to nuthrtjrfan: pricing all over the place. I paid about $250 seen as high as $375. With the way Ford goes NLA on parts I jumped on $250. 

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
8/28/18 11:28 a.m.

If you follow the cable hooked to the manifold, it will lead you to the imrc which is actually located behind the drivers side headlamp... but not in the engine bay. You remove the fender splash shield to get to it out through the wheel well. The nuts on the bracket stick out into the engine bay. 

I can take a picture of it (not installed on a Focus anymore) if you need. 

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
8/28/18 12:28 p.m.

4 door? I might be interested...

GTwannaB
8/29/18 11:18 p.m.

In reply to cmcgregor :

Nope a 2 door

re: Saron81 that is even more helpful thanks

loumash
loumash New Reader
9/12/18 3:08 p.m.

I got that same code before on my SVT.  Pulled the cable and it seemed to acuate the intake flapper ok.  The code went away magically after that.  Go figure.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
9/12/18 9:29 p.m.

I'd search the forums for a PDF for the factory manual.  That was a big help with my EP3 Civic Si. 

TurboFocus
TurboFocus Reader
9/13/18 1:41 p.m.

i think i have one of those manifolds laying around somewhere, want me to find it and take a few pics for ya?

GTwannaB
9/13/18 11:33 p.m.

In reply to TurboFocus :

I do think I have the right part now, the mystery was the location. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NMADA6K7uOG4sw7v8Rnx1dUUeOMFSFyntnhxe4tJ7IjfnBkgvXZRrw9qrVuLEDXB