1 2 3 4
03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/18/21 9:00 p.m.

First thought I had is the simplest. The flat bed looks long enough; if you "only" gonna be putting a miata on it, you'd prolly have room to build out part (or posably all of) the sleeper.

If you just did the mattress part, you might have room for tire storage underneath the extension, and keep the  access door part "dry" under front part of bed.

I vote for the older va, for the cool factor, despite the 351 (windsor, I assume) being a bit underpowered. Swap it for a 5.9 12V if ya have deep enough pockets, or 460 , or build a bit more HP.

I've driven the roads Noddaz mentioned.. It would be unsafe to do more than 65 towing anything through there. And the IDI non turbo 7.3 will do 65 on flat ground towing 20K lbs. Quick, no, but will do the job. The transmissions that came stock behind them leave a lot on the table, but there are some options there.

Diesels DO need a turbo, but there are cheaper options than the early Bank's stuff as well. The early 5.9's were dogs compared to the "modern" HP wars, but you never hear people talking about how slow THEY were. To be fair, the 1'st 12V 5.9 in a light duty truck (LD means anything under 2 ton) did run better than any of the other options at the time, but only by a few HP, not double and triple like todays LD truck diesels!

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/18/21 10:16 p.m.

I'd honestly avoid the first one. Engine is a turd. Tranny as well. Brakes suck. 

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/18/21 11:29 p.m.

In reply to amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) :

Don't hold back like that! Speak your mind!

All true problems, by todays standards, but all can be addressed on a reasonable budget... or  really fix it up by throwing money at it. A 351W is a turd just like a vintage race car is. But some folks still race vintage, and trucks like that first one moved a lot of stuff through the years.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/19/21 3:17 a.m.
accordionfolder said:
I'm in m'boro, used to live in Bell Buckle - so I've been over that way a few times just out driving.

I had to look up Bell Buckle. Ive traveled in a few places in TN; I'm originally a flatlander From VA, but I'm pure hillbill at heart.

I don't imagine better braking will be hard to do. I don't know what the easy button would be, but shouldn't be bad.

Also look at the tires/rims. could still have 16.5's on it, but I think those were done by then.

My FL50 has a 8' Western Hauler Alum. bed on it now, (that need work) and will actually fit in a "normal" sized parking space. Its only a few inches longer than a 4 dr dually. Same with, also - albeit it's full with all the way 'round. Is really easier to park.

If your exoset is not over 9 feet long ( and I doubt it is ) minor mods and ramps to the existing bed, and it would haul it, and put the miata in / on a trailer. All set.

I have 26' enclosed trailer (12'' taller than standard) I could make ya a nice package deal on, as well. and a junk camper to turn the trailer into a "toy hauler"

A lot more up front money, but with only 140K miles on the FL50, you'll never wear it out. Or worry about not having enough brakes. (around 16" hyd. discs on all 4 corners)

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
3/19/21 12:20 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

In regards to that FL50:

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/19/21 8:41 p.m.

To scare you even more, I am always interested in trades... my wife, not so much... but as long as I can give her some cash to go into the budget, she lets me get away with an awful lot!

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/19/21 8:46 p.m.

Full on side view, just to tease ya some more. Adding a couple feet to the overhang in rear is super easy; since air ride rear suspension (will drop the back about 4") is mounter to the bottom of straight c channel frame, adding frame sections, sliding it back, and adding another driveshaft to lengthen the wheelbase is all done with readily available used parts.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/19/21 8:51 p.m.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Power conversion couch. I did some major mods to floor, to correct Cabriolets  - uh - unimaginative - work... it is now flat from front to back. Have not put the interior back in yet. Couch is still in TN, in fact.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/19/21 8:57 p.m.

Tilt the hood up ane engine maintenance is super easy to get to...

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/19/21 9:47 p.m.
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:

This is the one you need. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1947593178725177/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search

May be an image of outdoors

Oh rear doors.... perfect for the family roadtrip as a project picker-upper.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/19/21 10:28 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I finally got the chance to go on the F B, and look at the ad. Looks like he did decent work cobbling that together. If so, that's a decent deal. We kinda bought our truck when were were pulling a 5'er with an extended cab pickup (no rear doors) and had a 120lb. King Shepard with us. So we spent all that for the dog...

Didn't take long to wish we had the rear doors, but ours is easier to sleep in. As the furry kid got older, we discussed making a fold down door with steps built in into on side.

The only negative on his build is the 3 speed slush box behind a reasonable powered 12V 5.9. That be like running a stock powerglide behind a iron duke in a C10. That's gonna make the 351 he is looking at seem fast!

accordionfolder
3/20/21 12:06 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Now bear with me just a second longer... I know we started this journey with a 351 powered ramp van.... But what if....

Kinda weird how well that lined up.... Need to talk to 03Panther, but might see what it'll take to really make that happen. I'd rather deal with any of you guys vs facebook marketplace, yeesh, trying to setup viewings is like pulling teeth. You'd think some of them don't actually want to sell their stuff?

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/20/21 12:16 a.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

Because of the height of the rear wheels, it would sit about a foot higher than that, but that is the thought I have. between us, and Shafer's shop in Linden, we can make that happen, on a decent budget.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/20/21 12:19 a.m.

If you and your Dad want to make a road trip down here to check it out some time, I have a motorhome y'all can do an overnight in, before the drive back. I have no life, so I'm around most any time.

NoviceClass
NoviceClass Reader
3/20/21 9:00 a.m.

Out of curiousity I searched ramp truck on my facebook, and lo and behold:

Out of my budget, but if anyone actually has any interest : https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/446083873203151/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A16215589-bc09-4f1e-89a5-5ed7968d82bf

accordionfolder
3/20/21 11:29 a.m.
03Panther said:

I have no life, so I'm around most any time.

Lol, same really. My 2020-2021 in a nutshell.

accordionfolder
3/20/21 11:32 a.m.

In reply to NoviceClass :

That's a nice rig, and probably worth the asking, but a bit above my toy hauler pay grade. I'm hoping to have something to slink to the track in and have a decent place to sleep in addition to my SWMBO's original mission of retrieving the dilapidated cars with sentimental value.

If I can't make that happen, short term I've found a bunch of big block ramp trucks that'll do hauling duty for "peanuts" - here's to hoping I can find/make something that'll fit the expanded requirements!

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/20/21 4:15 p.m.

In reply to NoviceClass :

Nice looking truck, but that bed is not worth doubling the price of the truck. Be hard to find a 06 gas 350 with that low a miles to build one from, but still. 

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/20/21 4:24 p.m.

Former box truck 

here’s a kinda cheesy start to one;  I do have access to a very nice old school Peterbuilt sleeper box... fresh black diamond stitched interior  70’s flashback  

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/20/21 4:30 p.m.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/26/21 10:51 p.m.

So, I take it you got the rollback instead of the ramp van. If I do sell the FL50, and get some parts cars gone, I might be interested in the van; prolly not able to swing it, but I'm always thinking about the next project to not finishblush

accordionfolder
3/27/21 10:24 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

I emailed you a few times about the fl50, but never heard back! The ramp van was still there last I checked, he had been dropping the price.

I'm going to learn a bit and do some work on this truck, it's not too big/not too small! I'll probably be bugging everyone on the forum during this learning experience. I've ordered the shop manuals!

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/27/21 8:44 p.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

I’m not sure who I taked back and forth with, then. Several folks emailed, and I replied with more info. Most did not e mail again. I don’t know who, cause almost nobody referenced their screen name. Maybe my reply made it into a junk folder? 

I think you found a rig that you’ll enjoy. Shafer in Linden would be glad to hep ya with that truck, as well. 

accordionfolder
3/29/21 10:19 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Yeah - the emails got confusing, I figured you'd already sold it! No problem at all. I do like this truck, it's in the Goldilocks zone, not to big, not too small me thinks. It even fits in old truck's parking spot!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zR1KApMDt3qpCbWeczpqIiXD8TXF8bHxc78xiVXoWUh4Tn0VTPJUeCUtW88KWHOX