1 2
scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
5/20/15 11:41 a.m.

So the saga continues, Wife needs a new car. She has a 03 pilot that will be handed down to me (so lucky). I take the kids to school and she drives around doing the add sales thing. We went on a day long looking and test driving spree. Chevy, Buick, Ford, Mazda, VW, are all out. long story short: We liked the Toyota Camry until she drove the new 15 Honda accord. She was smiling from ear to ear. Where talking about a ex-l v6 . I'm no Honda fan but I have to admit it is a nice car. So please tell me. Is there anything else we should look at ? Under 30k and drive forever.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
5/20/15 11:49 a.m.

Hyundai/Kia

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/20/15 11:56 a.m.

Mazda 6. You get the added benefit of not having a V6 option (I am looking at it from a buy in, mpg standpoint) to tempt her. It is rated as good/better than others in the category and looks damn sexy. I would hit all the mid sized and make your own conclusion. The only ones that I am worried about long term on are the ford turbos (yet to be seen what 10+ years will do to those, not a deal breaker to me though) and the Chevy due solely to how most of their products wear. My wife did put 100K miles on an 08 Malibu with ZERO issues though and it was still tight when we traded it off. Basically, anything in the category should be decent enough. As usual, I would avoid Chrysler and Mitsu all together.

etifosi
etifosi Dork
5/20/15 12:00 p.m.

Since you looked at 7 different makes and the Accord has her "smiling ear to ear", it looks like you already found her car.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 HalfDork
5/20/15 12:07 p.m.

If the Honda makes her smile, it sounds like a good choice. What are the things she likes about it?

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
5/20/15 12:09 p.m.

The only way you could go wrong with an Accord is if she didn't like it.

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
5/20/15 12:33 p.m.

Mazda 6 and the cx5(?) is out. She hated the 6 and said the seat hurt her back. The cx5 was hated by us both. Hint: on the test drive I told her to floor it getting on the interstate. she said it was on the floor. The Accord, no such problem. She said it felt right and is super roomy. You know how most guys act when they see there dream car ? That look.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/20/15 12:38 p.m.

I'd get the Accord.

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/20/15 12:40 p.m.

Let her choose. Accord is reliable so no worries.

I let my wife choose and she got a Chevy Equinox. I don't want to hear "but you kind of chose the last car, I want something bigger/more powerful/more expensive/etc" in one year again like when I persuaded her into liking a Ford Fusion.

Accords are great, Equinox I've yet to form an opinion on these newer ones but its nice overall and my fingers are crossed.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/20/15 12:45 p.m.

Yeah, if the Mazdas are out, I think you should just get the Accord. I would over a Camry most days.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/15 1:01 p.m.

I had a 2004 Accord EX-L V6 and then a 2010 EX-L V6. I just bought a 2014 EX-L V6.

Get the EX-L V6.

Woody
5/20/15 1:05 p.m.

Pick a color and then email every Honda dealer in your state. Tell them that you want an EXL V6 and specify the color. You will be surprised at how far below the MSRP the price will be. Especially this weekend.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
5/20/15 2:05 p.m.

Accord.

If she liked Honda that much, would she have any interest in a CPO Acura TL?

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
5/20/15 3:20 p.m.

Accord.

If she liked Honda that much, would she have any interest in a CPO Acura TL?

If it didn't have that ugly beak of a nose then yes maybe .

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/20/15 3:26 p.m.

used Cayman S? You do eventually get the hand me downs...

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
5/20/15 3:39 p.m.

Woody: what kind of gas mileage do you get ? nav ? any options worth the $$. She loves black on black. I've had three black cars and can say its just to hot. Kids will burn themselves .

used Cayman S? only in my dream world .

captdownshift
5/20/15 3:50 p.m.

In reply to scottdownsouth:

Fiesta ST or Frisbee twin at least then?

How about his and hers E46 ZHP?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/20/15 3:51 p.m.

Whatever replaced the TSX? We were looking hard at V6 Accords until Mrs. Duke tried an original-model TSX. Then it was no contest. She liked the handling and the slightly smaller chassis / slightly more athletic feel of the Acura much much better.

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
5/20/15 4:27 p.m.

Captdownshift : Please keep teasing me ! Is350, any BMW, Porsche, Volvo..what else you got ?

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
5/20/15 4:38 p.m.

CTS-V, AMG benz, M something, turbo Porsche? Hey if you're getting the hand me downs might as well do it right!

captdownshift
5/20/15 4:46 p.m.

I'm thinking maybe she'd like a convertible:

http://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/cto/4987280692.html

http://charleston.craigslist.org/ctd/5025027678.html

http://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/5034276946.html

http://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/5025799498.html

Woody
5/20/15 5:39 p.m.
scottdownsouth wrote: Woody: what kind of gas mileage do you get ? nav ? any options worth the $$. She loves black on black. I've had three black cars and can say its just to hot. Kids will burn themselves . used Cayman S? only in my dream world .

No Navigation. I think that navigation systems are way over priced and less effective than a smartphone or a $100 Garmin.

EX-Ls come pretty loaded. We didn't add anything else except a set of CocoMats.

Our car has 8500 miles on it. I just checked the on board computer and it says that we have been averaging 28.0 mpg. I would estimate that fewer than 10% of the total miles have been highway. Most have been around town.

The 2010, which I still have, is light green with black interior. The new one is dark blue with light gray interior, so I can't really say if black with black would make for a hot interior. Both cars have A/C vents in the back.

The Accord V6 has only 17hp less than my Cayman S.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/15 7:32 p.m.

There's a lot to be said for happy. Enjoy your Accord.

Woody
5/24/15 1:51 p.m.

In reply to scottdownsouth:

Any news yet?

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
5/24/15 7:10 p.m.

Left turn Clyde: Did as Woody said, got quotes from everyone in the state. Got a very good quote from a dealer 200 miles away. Asked my local dealer to match it, said they would. Showed up with check in hand. Local dealer said I was not fair playing the quote game against everyone. I walked out empty handed. Local Toyota dealer called with a great price on a xse Camry. 4cly but to good a price to pass on, suck on that Honda !

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MS7UpBy0UYrhhl7XAPHbmzVQyW6Ys0VWG5kPnwzh5UOseIHQzr8ThCGBa7ma9wGN