1 2
Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
1/24/18 12:53 p.m.
pres589 said:

The tombstone delete would be about getting more space for a bent knee.  I have issues with getting my legs straight enough to be comfortable in the leg department if I'm a reasonable distance from the steering wheel.  This is why I didn't consider the current Ford Focus when I was car shopping a few years ago; too much console, not enough knee room.  I could see what you're talking about with a manual window crank getting in the way on the door side.

Bent or relocated E brake, pull strap door handles, non crank windows, steering wheel closer to you I think solve most of those

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/24/18 7:31 p.m.
Blaise said:
Knurled. said:

The hardtop has more headroom than the convertible, though.

I can't drive an NA with the top up.  I can drive an NA/NB with a hardtop just fine even with a helmet.

I tend to take a late 60s Ford driving position though:  Knees bent at a 90 degree angle, steering wheel in your lap.

Not sure about passing the broomstick test.

Are you sure? I own two NAs and I cannot tell a difference in headroom between hard and soft top, and I've been using both since 2009. There's absolutely no way I'd fit under either top with a helmet without a modded seat and brackets (6'2).

I'm pretty sure.  I have rallycrossed EvanB's '90 a bunch.  It feels like it has more interior room than my RX-7.  Just to show that his car isn't a fluke, I also rallycrossed an NB (with a hardtop and Prepared legal full interior) after I sort of automated the quick release oil drain plug on Evan's car at a rallycross.  Fit just fine.

Here, someone was kind enough to take a photo of me at that particular event:

I'm 6'4 with a 34-35" inseam.

Also, that is the coolest trophy ever and I show it off like new parents show off baby pictures.

caffeine357
caffeine357 New Reader
1/25/18 12:50 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Was that seat bolted to the floor and were you under the rollbar? if so what seats were they. 

At this point if Im having a fab shop do the drop pan, im accepting the fact that i cant do a composite seat and just aluminum since they have to bolt through the floor pan. 

NickD
NickD UltraDork
1/25/18 1:00 p.m.

This is me with my stock NA seat and Blackbird Fabworx rollbar. Yeah, don't think I'm passing a broomstick test.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/18 5:46 p.m.

In reply to caffeine357 :

They are whatever stock seats and sliders are.  My head looks like it is below the top of the rollbar but I don't know if the top of my helmet is below the bottom of the bar.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
1/25/18 6:29 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Pretty much same here, Hard Dog Hard Core M2, stock seats, foamechtomied driver seat.

caffeine357
caffeine357 New Reader
1/26/18 10:30 a.m.

Yeah, even in Autocross or any spirited driving. Stuff happens so id suggest you guys do your best to get your coconut below the rollbar since thats what its there for. 

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
1/26/18 10:37 a.m.

Technically Autocross does not even require a rollbar, and if using a 3point seat belt the point is to let your body fold inward and forward to prevent more serious injury in that instance. However if you are using harnesses and your head is above the rollbar well, your body has no where to go

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uxoaiMAjhA5G1Ol9NaHQgernW5pKJB4NfDJyOm8b27Ql0SXiBm6V3SWNDXLSeT9G