1 2 3 4
Brokeback
Brokeback New Reader
4/10/13 11:32 a.m.

In reply to Adamsspencer:

I'm 6'2", 34 inseam, and while i fit in my 1990 miata my knees are a little scrunched and my hair occasionally brushes the top. Seat is all the way back. To make it better I would foamectomy the seat, and maybe run a smaller steering wheel. However, SWMBO drives it and at 5'4" it fits her just right so no mods.

I tried to foamectomy the drivers seat just a little, and couldn't get one of the screws out for the plastic shrouding that the seat pivots around. So I said screw it and put the sat back in lol.

Adamsspencer
Adamsspencer New Reader
4/12/13 11:30 a.m.

Ok is a 1990 modle miata a good first car and is the insurance rates going to be through the roof because it is a sports car?

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/12/13 11:45 a.m.
Adamsspencer wrote: Ok is a 1990 modle miata a good first car and is the insurance rates going to be through the roof because it is a sports car?

I'd say "yes", it is a great first car. Insurance rates are kept low because 95% of them are weekend only cars, and the majority of them are driven by retirees. Most of the general public does not view them as sports cars but rather a secretary's car.

But before I say that it is a good first car, what do you need in a car? It works for me (actually my 5th car, but I got it when I was 20). But if you need it to haul a drum kit, its not going to work.

Adamsspencer
Adamsspencer New Reader
4/12/13 5:44 p.m.

In reply to mtn:

I am 16 and am strongly looking to buy one. I really don't need the space I just want a reliable fun car that will not cost a ton of money

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
4/12/13 6:13 p.m.
Adamsspencer wrote: In reply to mtn: I am 16 and am strongly looking to buy one. I really don't need the space I just want a reliable fun car that will not cost a ton of money

A first gen Miata will be a good car then.

How mechanically capable are you, and what sort of access to tools do you have? I might skip the '90-'91 just to avoid any potential of the short-nosed crank issue. If you find one with a long-nose crank that has had the timing belt and water pump replaced in the past 60k miles, it should be about as dead-nuts reliable as anything.

If you are willing to do some work yourself, it is an incredibly easy car to work on and learn how to do basic maintenance jobs.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/27/13 3:41 p.m.

Well bummer.. I sat in FIL's NC Miata today. My head is into the roof frame, tried all combinations of seat positions. I'm 6'-5", 210 with 36" inseam. I guess it's not meant to be.

Darn shame since this one has only 60k with maintenance records, and he said he would sell to me cheap when he orders a new 2015.

Next to test: S2000...

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/27/13 3:49 p.m.

If you can't fit in an NC, you will probably not have any more luck with the S2000. Really, I think you are in the boxster range.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/27/13 4:22 p.m.
bmw88rider wrote: If you can't fit in an NC, you will probably not have any more luck with the S2000. Really, I think you are in the boxster range.

Truth be told, I'm in F150 range....

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/10/16 3:42 p.m.

Still having thoughts about the Answer. Still tall...

Is there anyone in Atlanta with a NC miata with a seriously modified seat for a tall driver? If it's not too much to ask, I'd like to try sitting in it.

I'm hoping to make the "kid turning 16" into an opportunity to get a DD that is more fun. And my FIL still has his.

klipless
klipless Reader
5/19/17 10:02 a.m.

I'm looking at buying a very clean '97 to do track days with, but I'm concerned about helmet clearance. Could someone with an NA and a roll bar measure the following distance for me?

It's from the bottom of the floor pan where it meets the rear bulkhead to the top of the roll bar. I'm more interested in the length that's parallel to the rear bulkhead, not the true vertical distance. If you could also tell me what roll bar you have, that would help as well.

When I sit on the floor against a wall and measure my height, it's 37.5 inches to the top of my head. So probably around 39 inches with helmet. I'm trying to figure out if bolting a thin seat to floor would get me below the roll bar.

Thanks!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/19/17 10:25 a.m.

Using a ruler and a very quick measurement, I'm 35 inches to the top of my head. Probably got that wrong though. I fit in mine with stock seats and a back-foamectomy, and a Hard Dog Hard-Core double-diagonal roll bar--never with a helmet, though a quick eye test told me I'd meet the broomstick test.

Lets say I'm off by 2 inches, either in the helmet or my measurement. That means that you'd have to make up 4.5 inches. I bet the seat itself is 3.5 inches, and you could get another inch by a combo of bolting directly to the floor and pounding down the mounting points to be flush. I think you'd be good.

(Thinking about a Kirkey here)

NickD
NickD SuperDork
5/19/17 10:27 a.m.

In reply to klipless:

From the floorpan to the top of my Blackbird GT3 rollbar I measured roughly 38 inches.

klipless
klipless Reader
5/19/17 10:51 a.m.

@mtn: That wouldn't happen to be nocone's red one would it? ;-)

@NickD: That measurement jives with the 37.5 number the owner of the car I'm looking at gave me. That bar is a Hard Dog M2.

Unless I'm willing to really lay the seat back, it looks like I'm going to have a hard time fitting...in any Miata. Bummer, that was a really clean car too. If anyone in the SE Michigan area is looking for a very clean NA8 with FM frame rails and butterfly brace, let me know. I can put you in contact.

The plan was to drive one for a few years and then turn it in to an Exocet. Looks like I might have to skip part A and skip directly part B. Hmm...need more funding.

Thanks for the quick replies.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
5/19/17 3:01 p.m.
bmw88rider wrote: If you can't fit in an NC, you will probably not have any more luck with the S2000. Really, I think you are in the boxster range.

I recently test drove a S2000, and it was tight to say the least. I remembered it having more room, but I'm a bit larger now...cough cough. My NA Miata felt larger inside than the S2000.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yJDxvm3WVD5Y3oH7wjE4B0bEBMg3EHq0gOyeU0wFw8SgQ6rYFeFcTOjUpEnxxnMl