mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/24/16 11:30 a.m.

I've come to the slightly nausea inducing realization that I like small CUV's better than the cars they are based on. The Mercedes GLA, Honda HRV, Mazda CX3, even the Buick Encore. They all seem like better cars to drive around in modern traffic than the actual car versions of them.
I think I'm broken.
Or old.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/16 11:32 a.m.

Uh, how many wagons or wagon-like vehicles do you have?

Exactly.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/24/16 11:37 a.m.

That depends, do you count the Civic Hatch as a very small Wagon? How about the FJ? It does have a (tiny) third row.
I have two actual wagons and the R which is straddling the line between a wagon and a mini van.
Oh, and I got my butt handed to me by and X6M at the drag strip on One Lap last year. That may have affected my thinking about some of this.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/24/16 11:53 a.m.

I like small SUVs for road-trips, based on the better visibility from being up higher, and all else being equal, the headlights seem to illuminate further down the road.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
3/24/16 11:56 a.m.

Well, I spent yesterday afternoon test driving Jeep Renegades. So I guess I'm getting old, too.

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
3/24/16 12:44 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard:

What are your thoughts on them? They appeal to me but I am scared of anything made by Chrysler. However, this is based on the Panda, which James May loves so it has that going for it.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
3/24/16 12:49 p.m.

This is tall, and technically a hatchback. Plus I know you love it.

DanyloS
DanyloS Reader
3/24/16 1:03 p.m.

Slightly lifted suspension and some tire sidewall = comfy.

Hatch usually means that it has folding rear seats = practical. (Still amazed how many sedans don't have folding tears ir the semi useless pass through)

Desy
Desy New Reader
3/24/16 1:09 p.m.

You just need a proper wagon in your life:

OK, so mine may not be "proper" but it is for sale.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/24/16 1:10 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: This is tall, and technically a hatchback. Plus I know you love it.

Everyone who loves cars loves this. That's not even up for debate.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/24/16 1:15 p.m.

Have a proper Wagon.

There just aren't many being made, especially on the small end. The HRV is really quite a good small but tall Wagon. More room than a Fit with the seats up or down.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/16 1:15 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: This is tall, and technically a hatchback. Plus I know you love it.

Saw one of those yesterday in Portland, Oregon turning left across traffic out of Trader Joe's, the lady driving damn near got creamed. Its a E36 M3ty intersection and most of the locals go through the parking lot to the controlled light around the corner or they go right and circle around the block later.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
3/24/16 1:25 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: In reply to Tom Suddard: What are your thoughts on them? They appeal to me but I am scared of anything made by Chrysler. However, this is based on the Panda, which James May loves so it has that going for it.

It drove like a faster Kia Soul, which is neither here nor there, but, idk, adequate? I tested the 1.4 turbo with a stick, and I would absolutely buy one. There aren't many options out there if you want 30 mpg, 4x4, and a manual transmission.

Definitely spring for the nicer stereo, though–the base one blows.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/24/16 2:43 p.m.

Wait, you can get a 4x4 turbo six speed Renegade? And the internet tells me you can buy a three inch lift for it? Is the the Italian/American Lada Niva I've always wanted?

rslifkin
rslifkin HalfDork
3/24/16 2:46 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Wait, you can get a 4x4 turbo six speed Renegade? And the internet tells me you can buy a three inch lift for it? Is the the Italian/American Lada Niva I've always wanted?

If it's anything like the Patriot / Compass, by getting the manual trans, you lose low range, as it's just an extra low ratio in the CVT. So that would significantly limit its offroad utility.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/16 2:55 p.m.

that reminds me.. I need to get my brush guard powder coated and installed on the Disco

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/24/16 4:04 p.m.

Local used dealer in town has one for $11000. Same color and everything.

thedanimal
thedanimal Reader
3/24/16 4:39 p.m.

Don't mean to highjack the thread but I've considered the HR-V for the wife, with mini danimal on the way I would like something with some versatility and allow her to keep something she can park. The only downside is I want it for as cheap as possible...like $18k-ish out the door. Anyone have any recommendations? Wife requires bluetooth, that's about it. Also no Mazda5, much to my dismay she didn't like the idea of it.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
3/24/16 6:11 p.m.
thedanimal wrote: Also no Mazda5, much to my dismay she didn't like the idea of it.

Has she driven one? My own personal SWMBO wasn't thrilled about them until she drove one. Now she's actually the one scouring Craigslist, Autotrader, Cars.com and the various rental sales outlets trying to find the right one.

This has never happened before.

drainoil
drainoil Reader
3/24/16 7:03 p.m.

The only thing I did not like on our old Mazda 5 was the "sport" wheels that only accepted low profile tires. They did not like all the pot holes and miles of rough roads that this craphole state has.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
3/24/16 7:44 p.m.

Idk if it would fit, but an older matrix not only can you get 4wd but a very usable space albeit at not much power.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/24/16 7:58 p.m.

In reply to thedanimal:

The CRV was the standard bearer for the segment for a long time for good reason. Have you looked at ones old enough to cost what you want?

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
3/24/16 9:02 p.m.

My WRX is as tall as I want to consider. When I have the itch to make it taller I stick a bike or a kayak on the room rack.

Seriously, the taller roof makes getting stuff up there harder than it needs to be. Go low on your wagon/hatchback. That's my $0.02.

thedanimal
thedanimal Reader
3/25/16 7:44 p.m.
kazoospec wrote:
thedanimal wrote: Also no Mazda5, much to my dismay she didn't like the idea of it.
Has she driven one? My own personal SWMBO wasn't thrilled about them until she drove one. Now she's actually the one scouring Craigslist, Autotrader, Cars.com and the various rental sales outlets trying to find the right one. This has never happened before.

I haven't actually taken her to look at one, but it would be a good idea to have her take a look. I have found some newer nice examples for my price range. I used to appraise plenty of Cr-V's when I worked for the 'Max, I do like them. I may have to see what I can find in that range without a boat load of miles.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7UaO1JOKNxP0rxCeSeKLZePBdVvKGkyyWFQAAyc2qKJpnFNLSWyS2IexQPokfXSF