1 2
thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/21/21 2:22 p.m.

My FIL has inherited a 1966 Thunderbird from his dad, and has hinted a few times that he might want to move it down to me. I don't have any particular affinity for the cars, but I do think it looks cool. White with red interior, if I remember correctly. I've driven it recently, so I know it runs/stops/turns. I think it could be cool on airbags with some big steelies from Detroit Wheel. 

What's the Hive's take on these cars? This one has the 390 AFAIK. What should I know about them? Pretend I'm an idiot child who's never seen one before and that's pretty close to what I am right now. 

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
9/21/21 2:48 p.m.

T-birds of that era are apparently decent race cars...

https://youtu.be/9Nx8A9FmVoI

7:40 mark if it doesn’t start at that point.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/21/21 2:51 p.m.

These decisions are easier with pictures, but I like them.  A lot.  Is it does end up in your driveway, if you do decide to sell, please lemme know.

thatsnowinnebago
9/21/21 2:56 p.m.

In reply to racerfink :

That pass must have been exciting for the mini, haha.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/21/21 3:04 p.m.

Don't know which year it is, but I seem to remember that one of the land-yacht versions of the car has a really intricate hydraulic system for some accessories.  Not the fan, I don't think but maybe the wipers? Maybe also something else?

Miles of chrome to polish.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
9/21/21 3:36 p.m.

I dont know much about them either but a 64 to 66 is the sweet spot for looks in my eyes. I am in for this thread!

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
9/21/21 4:10 p.m.
racerfink said:

T-birds of that era are apparently decent race cars...

https://youtu.be/9Nx8A9FmVoI

7:40 mark if it doesn’t start at that point.

not a 66 era Tbird but cool anyways.

In jr school we were driven to school in a 66 era bird with the steering wheel that moved to the right for driver exit. Totally cool car.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
9/21/21 4:23 p.m.

They're neat cars, but just say no to airbags and big wheels.

thatsnowinnebago
9/21/21 4:33 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

What would you do instead? (No snark, honest question)

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
9/21/21 4:46 p.m.

I think they look awesome on air and big wheels. It's not a style car I'm going to race so for a cruiser bags are acceptable.

thatsnowinnebago
9/21/21 4:55 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

That's where my head is. The Internet Says™ these cars are big, slow pigs so I figured why not try something I've never done?

wawazat
wawazat Dork
9/21/21 5:19 p.m.

The convertibles used hydraulics for the top actuation as it stored in the trunk area after lifting the rear deck.   They were also offered in a formal roof hardtop.  All were coupes.  These were all powered by the Ford FE series motors either 390 or 428.  All were 3 speed automatic and used the Ford 9" rear ends.  Cool interiors with wrap around rear seats.  I think your lowered on air bags with Detroit Steel wheels would be cool.  

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/21/21 5:19 p.m.

My Grandfather had a 66 Convertible (Red with white interior so the opposite of yours) as his fun car. For the last number of years it was kept up at the cottage after they built a garage there, I made that suggestion so I was the lucky one at 17 that got to drive it up which is something I'll always remember. I wish the car was still there but it has passed on out of the immediate family to the extended so the car is still around. 

66 was the last year of the convertible until the retro car of the 2000's came out. Watching that massive trunk (with zero room for any luggage) open backwards and swallow that roof at the press of the button was always cool, the sleek lines of the car with it gone were just great. The sequential tail lights (that were shared with the Shelby Mustangs) were also pretty neat along with the little indicators on top of the fenders. Lots of other cool details with these too like the swing away steering wheel as mentioned above and disc brakes all around.

Driving wise these already feel like there is a lot of air in between you and the ground, I remember turning into a corner, waiting for the car to eventually take a set and then adjust from there. Take the car for a spin and see what it does for you and go from there, hopefully you have a long spot available for it in your garage!

adam525i
9/21/21 5:20 p.m.

Also, post up some pics!

thatsnowinnebago
9/21/21 5:21 p.m.

In reply to adam525i :

My garage barely fits my Miata, haha. My driveway is plenty long though. 

Pics are difficult as the car is roughly 800 miles away...

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/21/21 5:23 p.m.

Check parts availability.  I remember 25 years ago that ball joints were NLA from anyone, and there were one or two companies that would take your worn out ball joints and inject them with plastic resin or something to remanufacture them.  I assume this worked about as well as you imagine it did, but this was the level of desperation... in the mid 1990s.

I remember that they are remarkably heavy for their size, remarkably cramped underhood for their size, and their main strength is the ability to rust.

adam525i
9/21/21 5:30 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

You can feel the heft when you swing open one of the 6 ft long doors lol

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/21/21 5:53 p.m.

The wheel you are looking for is Astro Supreme. 

thatsnowinnebago
9/21/21 6:07 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

That rust comment is concerning because the car has been sitting outdoors on dirt for like 20+ years. Its in the Central Valley of California, so not much rain but still not optimal. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
9/21/21 7:28 p.m.

The wiper motor is hydraulic. 

It's no big deal and plenty reliable.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/21/21 7:40 p.m.

This far along and not even a picture of the breed? 

After the MGB these might be one of the most undervalued classics out there. Not sure why they are not in more demand.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
9/21/21 8:35 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago said:

What would you do instead? (No snark, honest question)

Airbags and big wheels are really only for cosmetics when the car is parked, and won't do anything for its ride and handling.  While a '66 Thunderbird is a cool car, realistically they're not valuable enough to justify the expense and added work, and I think you'd end up with something that's not very enjoyable to drive.  Finally, I understand this is a matter of personal opinion, but in general I don't think pre -1970 cars look right with big wheels...they need tires with some sidewall on them.  I'd stick with 15", but you could go with 16" or maybe 17" at the biggest.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
9/21/21 8:40 p.m.

You can look at a 1966 Thunderbird factory brochure here:  http://oldcarbrochures.org/United%20States/Ford_Thunderbird/1966-Ford-Thunderbird/1966-Ford-Thunderbird-Brochure/index.html  They have some of the coolest seats ever.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/21/21 9:03 p.m.

And the swing out steering column!

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/21/21 9:22 p.m.
L5wolvesf said:

In jr school we were driven to school in a 66 era bird with the steering wheel that moved to the right for driver exit. Totally cool car.

Similar - in grade school it was a good day when I carpooled with the Dawes boys. Even before I knew much about cool cars it was clear that Mrs Dawes drove a cool car.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e6ALH57vugK2RKvnyR17xFtHDQCuwwc93hdeuVn8NIsNJ58apK9U8HqH1Gnf7wxh