1 ... 4 5 6
A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/28/21 11:12 a.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

I missed a "built" 500 caddy that someone's wife wanted off their porch for $100. Terrible pic on Craigslist and the guy wasn't the best communicator  but from what I was able to deduce it was de smogged, rebuilt for higher compression and a higher rpm power band. He claimed 500hp 800tq or something like it.

I missed it by about 5 min. Wonder how that would have worked in the challenge Caprice.......

Def underrated.  Any "built" engine advertised on CL for $100 on a front porch is 800 hp 1200 torque.  Easy.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/28/21 12:03 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

You aren't wrong. I wasn't expecting much but even a stock 500 for $100 would have been fine

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UberDork
2/28/21 4:07 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

So.  I drove the '77 DeVille, and apart from a rust hole in the driver's floor and a small oil leak it seemed to be in pretty good shape- drove well, shifted well, ran quietly, etc.  Asking price is $3100.  I'm away next weekend and can't take out cash today anyway, I'm thinking maybe I can let it roll around in my head a bit and make him an offer in a week when I get back?

Is it picture worthy so the hive can cloud your decision???

NoviceClass
NoviceClass New Reader
3/1/21 11:17 p.m.

I personally love all the 60s Cadillacs, I would love to own a convertible one day. 

I do think back on this picture I found online a couple of years ago when people talk about how big the old cars were. Compared to some newer vehicles, they seem almost diminutive.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/21 12:11 a.m.
NoviceClass said:

I personally love all the 60s Cadillacs, I would love to own a convertible one day. 

I do think back on this picture I found online a couple of years ago when people talk about how big the old cars were. Compared to some newer vehicles, they seem almost diminutive.

I'm going to guess you first saw that picture last January. ;)

Better?

NoviceClass
NoviceClass New Reader
3/2/21 12:37 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
NoviceClass said:

I'm going to guess you first saw that picture last January. ;)Better?

Didn't remember where I saw it, but damn, busted re-posting pictures on the same website I saved it from.

I should learn from this, but I won't

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
3/4/21 9:46 a.m.

How difficult is it to swap a 472/500 in place of a 429 in say a '64 Cadillac? I know the '64 will still have the 4 speed hydro trans so I'd have to do some mods to get the th400 in but how well would the engine fit in the engine bay? I did some work on a 500 swapped '59 and it didn't fit very well at all - minimal clearance for the oil pan, exhaust and steering, needed a remote oil filter to clear the crossmember etc.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/21 9:52 a.m.

In reply to Racingsnake :

I've seen a lot of people attempt it but few succeed.  Last one I know of spent big money on a built 472 then gave up and put in an LS. But he bought a cool 60s suburban for the 472. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/21 11:34 a.m.

From my understanding, it's easier with the "perimeter frame" cars like my 1966. In that case, it's pretty well documented right to the point of how to avoid peeling the AC box off the firewall.

Here's the Cad500.com how-to for cars up to '62.

http://www.cad500parts.com/tech/Cad5462Swapv1.1.pdf

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
3/4/21 9:42 p.m.

Thanks Stampie & Keith, that's pretty much what I thought. The special oil pump is interesting and would make quite a difference but a big block Chevy is still probably a better fit if the 429 is no good.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/7/21 12:17 a.m.
mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
8/29/22 11:48 a.m.

finally got one

67 Deville 

1 ... 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AlW0ysPw2Y8CtmHEprQRjyUSrYXgAqAquyWCz0lrI25l7S4brjckHnxHPfKIQejD