1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/24/16 12:09 p.m.

MEET OUR EXPERT:
Robert Bowen
Author of “How to Build Max-Performance Mitsubishi 4g63t Engines”
cartechbooks.com

When Mitsubishi released the Evo X in 2007, it was phenomenally bad timing: The automotive market basically collapsed six months later, and gas prices skyrocketed. The new car was a huge improvement over the previous version, but it was heavier and larger. It also lacked …

Read the rest of the story

TGMF
TGMF Reader
8/24/16 1:14 p.m.

My local dealer STILL has two brand new '15 Evo's listed.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/24/16 1:23 p.m.

There are still lots of new EVOs all over the country. I'm still considering getting one, but I fear I would take a bath on the BRZ.

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
8/24/16 3:06 p.m.

Hmm... this post is relevant to my interests.

Another tip for prospective buyers:

The fuel pump relay has gone through multiple iterations due to a tendency to fail to switch to high speed mode. Basically, the relay switches the fuel pump between low and high speed mode depending on fueling demands. If the relay fails, the fuel pump will stay stuck in low-speed mode which can lead to the engine running dangerously lean when running WOT. Check to see if your car is affected by TSB-10-13-002 and get the latest relays you can from the dealership

David S. Wallens
8/27/16 11:28 p.m.
TGMF wrote: My local dealer STILL has two brand new '15 Evo's listed.

I had to check and, wow, so does ours.

David S. Wallens
8/27/16 11:31 p.m.

We have a big Mitsubishi dealer near here in DeLand, Florida, so I just check their site. They show 14 new 2015 Evos in stock. Wonder if that's correct. Might have to head over there one day and, you know, check it out.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/16 9:48 a.m.

I wonder what the out the door price is with HSRs starting a bit over 34k. I wonder if you could get that I to the high 20s after haggling. That is a huge amount of car for the $$$$

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
8/29/16 11:47 a.m.

I wonder if it's mostly because of the seats. And cheap car interiors getting much nicer.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/16 12:31 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: I wonder what the out the door price is with HSRs starting a bit over 34k. I wonder if you could get that I to the high 20s after haggling. That is a huge amount of car for the $$$$

Get out of my head

DocV
DocV New Reader
8/29/16 1:58 p.m.

Do it. I got a Final Edition, and many months in, I am still smitten. There are still GSRs available at ~ $33k. The seats don't bother me that much (I am on the hunt for cast off Recaros from a track build).

DocV
DocV New Reader
8/29/16 3:25 p.m.

Saw this on the youtubes (comparison shootout of Focus RS, Evo X, WRX STI, and Golf R):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImobeCtRphc

I think these two are sometimes a bit long winded, but I was pleased to see the Evo's dynamics hold up so well in this company.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Reader Services
10/14/19 9:08 a.m.

I really can't explain it, but despite all the other options in the sport sedan segment, I've always been attracted to the Evo X.

Personally, I'd get the MR just for the twin-clutch transmission (even though I have heard maintenance can be tricky and expensive).

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/14/19 9:11 a.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

The twin-clutch transmission is what scares me most on these cars, by a long shot. I wish the expert had gone into more detail on those.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/19 12:34 p.m.

FWIW, scuttlebutt is that Bilstein no longer rebuilds or revalves OE dampers.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/14/19 1:46 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:

In reply to Colin Wood :

The twin-clutch transmission is what scares me most on these cars, by a long shot. I wish the expert had gone into more detail on those.

From what I remember when researching these is that they are pretty stout..................as long as you keep the fluid cool. In other words, if you wanted to track one without constant limp mode intrusions, you need a seriously upgraded trans cooler. And I'd go ahead and do the deeper pan that increases capacity as well. 

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
10/14/19 2:43 p.m.

The new car was a huge improvement over the previous version, but it was heavier and larger.

Wikipedia says: "In the field of psychology, cognitive dissonance is the mental discomfort (psychological stress) experienced by a person who holds two or more contradictory beliefs, ideas, or values."cheeky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImobeCtRphc

I think these two are sometimes a bit long winded,

Me too. Can never seem to get hooked on them.

In other news, HOW ABOUT A LONG WINDED COMMENTARY!

Honestly, my main problem with the Evo X is my main problem with the Lancer it's based on, which is that it is too tall to look properly aggressive. The previous Lancer was fairly short, so if you widened it and lowered it, it looked mean. The Lancer the X is based on is so tall that you can widen it and lower it and it just looks OK (a stock X), and then you slam it so far down that it ceases to be functional as a performance car and it looks... alright i guess (stanced Evo X). Back when glass was flat and cars had frames people used to chop rooves and channel bodies to fix this, but good luck today. If you don't care about looks or proportion, no big deal. I don't care that much about looks on my cheap cars. If a X was cheap I'd stop caring. But as long as it sells for enough money that I have to finance it, it has to LOOK good too and that's where the X fails for me. Even my Mazdaspeed6 barely slips under my rule here because it actually looks worse than a non-mazdaspeed to me with a hood that looks like it came off an HD pickup and a worse spoiler and wheels than lower models. But... it's a fraction the price of an Evo X.

bnight
bnight
8/18/22 2:16 a.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

Considering is made by the same company that can't even make a Manual for the Mustang I would said go with whatever other option there is. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/19/22 10:09 a.m.

I seriously wanted to get one of these for rallycross but they seem rather unaffordable for that purpose.  I need a bigger budget and more space for cars.  I bet these would be a total blast in anger off pavement,

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/22 9:46 a.m.

Since this has been brought back up, the major weak point of the Evo X is cooling. They come with just enough cooling capacity for 1 autocross run or a minute of street hoonage. For anything beyond that, you'll need a massive increase in oil cooling (More than one company sells a dual-cooler V-mount kit!) and an air-oil cooler for the DCT.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/4/22 11:07 a.m.

I miss mine that I bought brand new. I couldn't afford it at the time. Especially since my insurance and gas almost equal my monthly car payment.

I could certainly afford one now but I'm afraid of OPE's (Other Peoples Evos)

WebFootSTi
WebFootSTi New Reader
11/4/22 6:40 p.m.

Since you dredged this up I'm still very happy with my 2004 STi as it has cruise  cruse control and same vintage Evo didn't.

te72
te72 HalfDork
11/5/22 12:26 a.m.

I mean... hats off to the Evo lineup through the ages, but if you want a turbo, awd rally style car with a manual gearbox, Toyota has something that might interest you...

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/5/22 11:30 a.m.
te72 said:

I mean... hats off to the Evo lineup through the ages, but if you want a turbo, awd rally style car with a manual gearbox, Toyota has something that might interest you...

There are two problems though, actually getting one considering the low import numbers AND if you're willing to pay what is likely to be a massive markup. 

te72
te72 HalfDork
11/5/22 4:06 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Fair point, but likely to be in an equal or better condition than a used Evo at this point. I can't imagine a fresh Evo X is a cheap thing either.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
11/6/22 10:37 a.m.

Man, I miss my Evo X.

I gotta say, Mitsubishi knocked it out of the park with the 4B11T engines, but the Evo is HEAVY and they're frankly, not made well. It possibly had one of the worst car interiors I've been in too; cheap ABS as far as your fingers can touch! But somehow it all melts away when you romp on them for a bit, as if freight-train like turbo lag and pulls makes up for the sins of cheaping out. Just make sure you're going above and beyond on the coolant system.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7bkUAqv7pyVdsWRyOq6kNaUOqTEQWs86nihfDIP1srfANptFgkvvy8y1PHLzMl88