Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham UberDork
6/28/17 1:54 p.m.

[Editor's Note: This article originally ran in our May 2017 issue. Some information may be slightly different.]

Think the Mazda Miata is too new to be considered a classic? Think again: Those earliest cars are now 27 years old. The first-generation Miata ran from 1990 through 1997 and remains a faithful companion thanks to its great performance, high build quality and …

Read the rest of the story

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
6/28/17 2:10 p.m.

Nice overview of the NA.

"Hydraulic lifters have a tendency to break down with age, but aftermarket replacements are inexpensive to replace with aftermarket ones."

Ummmm....

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
6/28/17 2:28 p.m.

The factory shifter is nearly perfect, "short throw" is unnecessary. Most NA Miatas do however need to have the two shift boots replaced. Seals noise and heat out of the cabin. Motor mounts are also a weak point and likely shot by now.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/17 3:17 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad:

Don't forget to change the fluid in the tower and the transmission. Many forget the fluid in the tower.

sishac
sishac
4/23/20 2:20 p.m.

Our 97M edition is in the paint shop getting a beautiful new marina green painjob applied...all of the rust and dents of 23 years have been cleared away.    I'm on my 2nd top, and will consider a canvas roof this time as the last one only lasted about 10 years.  Fantastic cars, agree 100% that the 94-95 is the sweet spot but my 105K mile roadster puts as many smiles on my face as any car I've ever driven!!!

TinBox
TinBox New Reader
9/18/21 12:29 p.m.

Bought my Mariner blue 90 new, and after 400k it's getting handed down to my kid who grew up in it - my daily / winter / track / hillclimb car has taken a beating and has never skipped a beat...now a bit of a Franken car w a 99 1.8, 01 gearbox and diff etc, all changed as opportunity presented vs necessity. 
When buying consumables spend the $$ for Mazda hoses and v cover gaskets, vastly better quality than the aftermarket. And quality shocks and wheels (lightweight is critical) can transform the car.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/20/21 1:23 p.m.

In reply to sishac :

Wow, you just don't see that many Marina Green Miatas. Terrific color. (My NA is just white.)

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/11/24 10:39 a.m.

That is what my 1995 M is supposed to look like.  I have a lot of work to do.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m5DKIn4WYaPz5gXmDk686So1gKF8y08jr5SaPEbKL0jdBSrSJUUbz1RDC4GsSePe