Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham UberDork
12/26/17 7:30 a.m.

[Editor's Note: These Tech Tips first appeared in our February 2018 issue. Some information may be different.]

Meet our Expert:
Karl Truty 
Massive Speed System
 (815) 675-1822

Who doesn’t want more power?

As is commonplace on factory turbo cars, a proper ECU tune can release a lot of horsepower and gobs of torque–like 50-plus lb.-ft.

As usual, our biggest complaint is weight. All aspects of performance would see …

Read the rest of the story

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/26/17 5:20 p.m.

Is that hg issue a big thing or like the Porsche IMS problem  (less than 1% affected)?

Carbon
Carbon SuperDork
12/26/17 7:07 p.m.
yupididit said:

Is that hg issue a big thing or like the Porsche IMS problem  (less than 1% affected)?

But somehow 100% ims failures in my porsche friends'? Maybe coincidence lol. 

yupididit
12/26/17 7:08 p.m.

Lol how many? I think I know one

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
12/27/17 6:37 a.m.
yupididit
12/27/17 8:17 a.m.

In reply to Feedyurhed :

At least they're recognizing the issue and will fix it. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/28/17 5:25 p.m.
yupididit said:

Lol how many? I think I know one

Objective > Anecdotal.

I only know one friend with an IMS engine'd car and it's fine. That doesn't mean it isn't a problem.

bmxr
bmxr New Reader
11/19/19 8:01 p.m.

Sounds line a great track car. Just needs brakes, tires, control arms, a crank, a block...?! And there's no fix suggested for the temperamental rear drive unit or horrendous seats...

QuikMcshifterson
QuikMcshifterson New Reader
10/27/22 12:19 p.m.

Fun car to drive but the seats were a deal breaker for me. My brother loves his though.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/27/22 1:29 p.m.
bmxr said:

Sounds line a great track car. Just needs brakes, tires, control arms, a crank, a block...?! And there's no fix suggested for the temperamental rear drive unit or horrendous seats...

Sounds like any other car, really.  I can dig up stories of people treating it as normal with other cars to have to swap pads every session, rotors once a day unless they happened to crack during a session, head gaskets several times a year...

I really like the RS seats.  And I may be ready to buy this time next year.  So, yes, let us continue to say how bad they are, at least until after I get mine.  (Assuming they depreciate again, and are not stuck in the mid 30s/low 40s)

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
10/27/22 3:24 p.m.

They are a super fun hot hatch.  Very planted and rowdy.  

Berck
Berck Reader
10/27/22 4:50 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I really like the RS seats.  And I may be ready to buy this time next year.  So, yes, let us continue to say how bad they are, at least until after I get mine.  (Assuming they depreciate again, and are not stuck in the mid 30s/low 40s)

I'm hoping to swap the wife's RS for a GR Corolla when they become available.  If you're interested in a completely stock, but high mileage one we should talk:)  It's got 80,000 miles right now as she commutes about 100 miles/day in it.  I suspect that will depress the value some.

I don't like the seats, either, but she loves them.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/27/22 5:59 p.m.

In reply to Berck :

I drove my S60R 40k miles last year, so... miles do not bother me smiley

Pricing seems to still be in the $saywhat range.  I also found a low miles Evo VIII for $70k.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/27/22 11:09 p.m.

I've decided I'm never going to buy another street car that I plan to take on the track until GRM has a chance to do one of these articles about it. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SbsgDi9siB2rwEyD3bvTBlqmtp8iIQCSQlteQAMU2LPsmmrK8H3eDgk2vjfJuk4N