1 2 3 ... 6
BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/26/14 6:09 p.m.

So 3 months ago I was able to buy a car on my wish list and purchased a V10 BMW M5. The car is a qualified phenomenon. The performance and features are top notch. 500hp is astonishing. The big car feels and drives small. You are never left wanting. That is until you fill up the tank or something goes wrong. Over 3 months, I averaged a whooping 11.8mpgs. Granted most of my driving was short run city stuff. I could deal with the gas mileage, I don't drive much.

But then something breaks, and then another, and then another.... In 3 months my car broke a lot. Here is the list: steering position sensor, battery, alternator, exhaust, O2 sensors, thermostats, various interior controls, power steering pump, and it burnt enough oil in the engine that the car told me to stop driving or risk destroying the engine. It's been a fun ride (sarcasm).

Lucky for me, I bought the car and warranty from CarMax. They've dutifully fixed every problem and provided loaners for me. With this last issue, they've agreed to refund the car. It's a bittersweet moment. I'm relieved to not have to worry about the car breaking again; however, now I am giving up a 500hp supercar that comfortably hauls the family.

So, now what? I need a car again.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/26/14 6:18 p.m.

well, I'm not sure what else you're going to find in the 500hp supercar that can comfortably haul the family task.

I supposed what you do now depends on your budget and whether you need a 500hp family hauler still.

Me, I'd probably go get a Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0 sedan. 430 horsepower, RWD and I'd bet on a hell of a lot less going wrong (and if it does, 100k warranty). Won't be as exciting as an M5 for sure, but it's probably the closest you can get without going with a euro super-sedan (Audi S6, AMG Benz, etc), which will all probably cost just as much to keep running as the M5 did.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/26/14 6:19 p.m.

Other than that, you also have a Caddy CTS-V in the running....

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/26/14 6:20 p.m.

G8 GXP?

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/26/14 6:33 p.m.

All the M cars that I've owned burnt oil. Some more, some less.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
12/26/14 6:36 p.m.

What are your seating needs? Corvette? New Mustang?

BradLTL
12/26/14 6:37 p.m.

Here's my list of cars (or random letters and numbers):

S4, S6, S8

C63, E63

CTS-V

The other option, which has significantly less spousal support, is a 2 car solution like a Prius + S2000.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
12/26/14 6:42 p.m.
BradLTL wrote: The other option, which has significantly less spousal support, is a 2 car solution like a Prius + S2000.

Problem solved. You get the Prius and she gets the S2000

MINIzguy
MINIzguy Reader
12/26/14 6:43 p.m.

I read that the Chevy SS now has a manual transmission option.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/26/14 6:52 p.m.
BradLTL wrote: Here's my list of cars (or random letters and numbers): S4, S6, S8 C63, E63 CTS-V The other option, which has significantly less spousal support, is a 2 car solution like a Prius + S2000.

I wouldn't recommend the Audi's, heavier and still pretty heavy maintenance wise. Plus there's an air of unreliability with many VAG products over the decades that would be hard to ignore.

The CTS-V may or may not be any more reliable than the Audi's, but its something that should be cheaper to maintain (even in a DIY fashion). Plus you know there's a wagon option for stupid fun while hauling stuff and people around.

What about an SRT8? a Jag XFR? or even an AMG? If you're going to suffer through owning an expensive and fast luxury car, you might as well look at all of the contenders.

JFX001
JFX001 UberDork
12/26/14 7:13 p.m.

I agree with the swede above also; Panamera? Lexus IS-F?

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/26/14 7:17 p.m.
BradLTL wrote: Here's my list of cars (or random letters and numbers): S4, S6, S8 C63, E63 CTS-V The other option, which has significantly less spousal support, is a 2 car solution like a Prius + S2000.

Other than the CTS, nothing on that list seems to me to be an upgraded in the mileage or reliability department to the M5, and all of them are a step down in the driving department, IMO.

BradLTL
12/26/14 7:18 p.m.

Trying to keep the budget $30k or less, there is probably 10% additional for the right car plus a warranty.

BradLTL
12/26/14 7:21 p.m.
irish44j wrote: Other than the CTS, nothing on that list seems to me to be an upgraded in the mileage or reliability department to the M5, and all of them are a step down in the driving department, IMO.

That's kinda were my head is as well. The big drawback on the CTS is that my wife can't drive a stick. The others all have an automatic option with flappy paddles.

carbon
carbon Dork
12/26/14 7:26 p.m.

IS-F

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/26/14 7:29 p.m.
BradLTL wrote:
irish44j wrote: Other than the CTS, nothing on that list seems to me to be an upgraded in the mileage or reliability department to the M5, and all of them are a step down in the driving department, IMO.
That's kinda were my head is as well. The big drawback on the CTS is that my wife can't drive a stick. The others all have an automatic option with flappy paddles.

I am pretty sure the CTS is available with flappy paddles.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/14 7:29 p.m.

step down from M5 to a lessor model?

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
12/26/14 8:06 p.m.

Maserati Quattroporte, what could possibly go wrong?

BradLTL
12/26/14 8:16 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: The 05-08 Audi A6 had a 4.2 option. That car can be found for $15k with @70k miles. That leaves a lot of cash left over. It was a $70k car new!

Showed one to the wife, response was, "meh, it's old, has a lot of miles. Do you think we are driving to pick it up? No"

Tough crowd. This qualifies as the time I'm least excited about getting a new car.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/14 8:24 p.m.

Easy. AMG C63. It's the F1 pace car. Thunder instead of revs. They sound ridiculous.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Benz-C-Class-C63-AMG-Sedan-2009-mercedes-c-63-amg-nav-heated-sts-p-2-pkg-rear-shade-18-amg-/301431884321?forcerrptr=true&hash=item462ebd8a21&item=301431884321&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
12/26/14 8:39 p.m.

V2 CTS-V with a paddle shifted 6L90e auto and Recaros

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/26/14 8:49 p.m.

Seriously, think about the Genesis R 5.0. Wife will like it, and it will be good enough that you will be ok with it at least. It's not an M5, but for $30k you can pick one up a year old with low miles and warranty remaining.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/26/14 8:50 p.m.

I like the IS-F idea.

They make completely insane noises when uncorked a bit and pick up BIG power with basic bolt ons. Probably the closest to the M5 the more I think about it.

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/26/14 11:15 p.m.

Lexus ISF is a good choice from a reliability and maintenance standpoint if you don't mind a brick hard ride. Sweet engine and transmission.

The C63 AMG is my personal favorite. Less small issues than BMWs...MBs save up for BIG ones. Get the warrantee.

Maserati Quattroporte is a semi-sane idea. Decent reputation for reliability. Available for bargain prices. Awesome to drive. Save the rest of the money for maintenance and repair.

Fringe idea is a Jag XJR. Newer R versions have more problems.

Bottom line: Nothing is an M5. You can always take a chance on another one and hope for less problems.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
12/26/14 11:28 p.m.

Are we missing the white whale in the room

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IjZ46qp7tcB4LoyY02ORFvxor16dStbITjGlDIHWuvJHuI0aAUdEx6YgVExFMU99