1 2
Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/7/18 2:53 p.m.

So I'm going to look at this tomorrow...

Discuss.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/7/18 3:05 p.m.

Rock on

Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
8/7/18 3:14 p.m.

Don’t expect this crowd to talk you out of it

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
8/7/18 3:16 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

So I'm going to BUY THIS AND DRIVE IT HOME  tomorrow...

Discuss.

Found a few typos. Fixed em for ya. You are welcome.

Pete

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
8/7/18 3:17 p.m.

Wow, an one of a kind ORD.wink

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
8/7/18 3:19 p.m.

cool car... has some aftermarket(restoration) support.   Likely.... 170 inline 6, with "3 on the tree", with drum brakes.

Easily modifiable as many Mustang parts will fit/interchange. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
8/7/18 3:20 p.m.

Here's a link to the factory brochure for the 1961 Falcon:  http://oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Ford/1961_Ford/1961%20Ford%20Falcon%20Prestige%20Brochure/index1.html

Note that in 1961 you could only get a small or a smaller six cylinder engine, along with a weak differential and tiny brakes with four lug wheels, so if you have upgrades planned they may take some additional effort.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/7/18 3:25 p.m.

2-door post FTW, although you'd be miles ahead to buy Jumper K. Balls' "crew cab"

Toyman01
8/7/18 3:44 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

I sent him a message about it but got nothing. He is in keep mode. The best part about buying his car would be the drive home.from Oregon to SC. 

This car is only 10 miles from me. It will be kind of anticlimactic to drive it home. 

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
8/7/18 3:46 p.m.

Look how Straight the Grill is, Awesome starter car  so many good parts  it could look new with 400 hp.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
8/7/18 3:59 p.m.
oldeskewltoy said:

cool car... has some aftermarket(restoration) support.   Likely.... 170 inline 6, with "3 on the tree", with drum brakes.

Easily modifiable as many Mustang parts will fit/interchange. 

Yeah...I was thinking like maybe the entire running chassis from a 2005ish Mustang? 109" wheelbase on the Falcon and 107 on the Stang. Should work.

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
8/7/18 4:11 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

I responded to your message and got nothing in return. something in the pm email relay? I'm not sure. My email is really straight forward with no spam filters or anything, I just sold it Friday!

I would have loved a GRM'er to have it.  That sucks

Toyman01
8/7/18 4:13 p.m.

In reply to Jumper K Balls :

Yes it does. Such is life. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/7/18 5:59 p.m.

I suddenly realized I need a Rancharo in my life.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/7/18 6:00 p.m.

2jz...... gte.......yay?

Toyman01
8/7/18 7:43 p.m.
Appleseed said:

https://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/d/1961-ford-falcon-ranchero/6662788060.html

You asked.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/7/18 8:36 p.m.

Add wide steelies, paint hood black, add LOTS of power.

Or keep it stock.  Stock is cool to.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/7/18 8:53 p.m.

I briefly lucked into a super clean four door Comet that same color with a red and white interior. It was a fun little car to putter around in but I had a friend who could give it the freshening it needed that i didn't have the money for so I passed it along.  He still has the car and he and his son still love driving it often.  If I got a Falcon now I'd want to make a gasser out of it and have "Mister Falcon" on the side in gold leaf.  Mister Falcon was what one of the local TV stations would dub in place of Mother berkeleyer on movies.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
8/7/18 8:55 p.m.

Someone else with more knowledge of early Falcons may correct me, but my understanding is the early ones like this aren't that suitable for big power upgrades - it wasn't until the 1963 1/2 Sprint came along that the unibody was beefed up so the car could handle a V8.

edited to add:  I do like this car, very much - I'm not trying to discourage you from buying it.  I'm just not sure that any performance modifications will be easy or cheap.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/7/18 8:57 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

I would agree with that,and if i was going fast that wouldn't be my first choice but with the stock 6 and three on the tree it's a happy little car for going to the store or taking the wife for ice cream.

Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
8/7/18 11:14 p.m.
Toyman01 said:
Appleseed said:

https://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/d/1961-ford-falcon-ranchero/6662788060.html

You asked.

No, this is what you need: 

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/d/1967-ford-ranchero-428-cobra/6628007369.html 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
8/8/18 4:49 a.m.

My dad repeatedly (dementia kicking in) regales me with stories of how good his made it through the snow, so there’s that.

Toyman01
8/8/18 5:45 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

It's not going to end up with huge HP or super fat tires. 

Mostly going to be a cruiser and something to tow behind SanFord. 

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
8/8/18 8:31 a.m.

This is one of the cars on my short list for my 2.3 Turbocoupe motor swap. I see it as a rolling project that you keep making better as time goes by.

Bruce

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/8/18 11:25 a.m.

I think a Zetec SVT with a Type-9 5 speed  from a Merkur would be fun. ITBs too.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gEB3U2tleMhKhv9EpY6jrLtA9FBldZIZN850NAlB3M0mHEKAGf3iE0tbPDkvdZ1l