The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
4/5/17 11:08 a.m.

story by Tony Sestito • photos by Kevin Adolf

Han Solo and Chewbacca.

Kirk and Spock.

E.T. and Elliott.

For our favorite odd couples, coming from different planets (literally, in these cases) only seems to enhance their chemistry. Despite their fundamental differences, they manage to communicate, connect, and work together better than they do apart. In the process, they uncover …

Read the rest of the story

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
4/5/17 12:15 p.m.

I think I'm in love, or at least lust. How much does it weigh?

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
4/5/17 12:17 p.m.

In reply to icaneat50eggs:

Diego says it weighs 2450 pounds wet

Cactus
Cactus Reader
4/5/17 12:59 p.m.

In reply to Ed Higginbotham:

That is kinda portly for an 02. Alternatively, it's a light, cooler looking s2K.

The weight isn't insanely out of line, the stock drive train is very light in an 02, almost all improvements add weight.

HapDL
HapDL New Reader
4/11/17 10:00 a.m.

Neat car, nicely done home build, gotta give full props for a difficult job well done. BUT. I just think this thing would be at another level with a good paint job and some graphics. Doesn't detract from performance and makes the car even that much more appealing. MHO only.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/30/17 8:15 a.m.

I've seen this in person at a local autocross. Diego was very cool to talk to and graciously answered all my many questions. The car is awesome! A lot has changed even from when the pictures in this article were taken. The engine bay is a lot cleaner, he has a digital cluster now to work with a standalone ECU, a giant wing on the back and splitter on the front, probably a lot more! Like any race car project, it's never quite done, and you're always trying new improvements. Love the car! 

My car and his at a PCA Autocross (10/14/17):

Another shot of his from that day: (Taken 10/14/17)

Another shot of the engine bay from 10/14/17:

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
11/30/17 8:23 a.m.

Ze Frau would have probably become something similar to this if I had kept it.  crying

AWSX1686
11/30/17 8:44 a.m.
HapDL said:

I just think this thing would be at another level with a good paint job and some graphics. Doesn't detract from performance and makes the car even that much more appealing. MHO only.

Personally I really like the bare metal look. I don't think many cars could pull it off, but I think this one does it well. 

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy New Reader
11/30/17 10:06 a.m.

Much bigger fan in the original picture as opposed to the 'updated' pictures.

AWSX1686
11/30/17 10:32 a.m.
FuzzWuzzy said:

Much bigger fan in the original picture as opposed to the 'updated' pictures.

Regarding the styling and such?

Stanger2000
Stanger2000 New Reader
11/30/17 11:32 a.m.

Wow

I also couldn't help notice that Lima 2.3T peaking through that Alfa/Fiat?

AWSX1686
11/30/17 12:37 p.m.
Stanger2000 said:

Wow

I also couldn't help notice that Lima 2.3T peaking through that Alfa/Fiat?

Hahaha, yes, that's my car. XD

2.3T from an 87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, rear suspension from an 88 RX7 turbo 2, all in the 1970 Triumph Spitfire Chassis. Definitely a work in progress. I need to do some build thread'ing and actually more work on the car. It's going to be fun. 

Ottobon
Ottobon New Reader
12/2/17 8:55 p.m.

In reply to FuzzWuzzy :

Sadly have to agree with this, i'm sure the aero works but it took the car from a refined retromod into a eye-sore.  Still applaud the guy for doing what he did, its a extremely cool car, but sad to see it tarted up like that. 

Not even saying he couldn't have fit some sort of fabricated wing to mimic old touring cars, but the autocross pictures look very cheap and thrown together compared to the original look.  Before he did that i would argue his build would appeal in any country to most car enthusiasts, it was basic but had excellent ingredients, with the wing its like dumping BBQ sauce on a professionally made steak.  Hope he tweaks it a bit.  Strange new aero-mods aside its one of the coolest swap cars i've seen in awhile. 

Peaches
Peaches None
3/1/19 2:05 a.m.

Was this car in Texas for a while? I would swear I saw it there a few years back!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pfV8ZbOKissAgCWke00ICH17uFt5j6M02KLT3golMqPRgq4V4Wzfp5Cn8UtWpaU4