1 2 3
ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
8/17/11 3:56 p.m.

The $10 blaster thread got me thinking. There are a metric crapload of awesome tools out there that a lot of folks just don't know about. Post your suggestions in here.

I will start with this little sub $20 wonder

Handheld deburring tools are cheap and easy to use and do a great job.

Round holes, straight edges and ovals. Anything you can get the tip into can be made safer and more attractive.

Most folks don't seem to know these exist and are amazed when they see how well they work. I can't imagine not having a few on hand at all times.

Your suggestions?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/17/11 3:57 p.m.

I use one of those almost every time I drill a hole.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/17/11 4:01 p.m.

On a similar note.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/17/11 4:01 p.m.

I haven't used it for its intended purpose yet, and I'm sure it's not the coolest thing that'll make this list, but for two bucks this HF radiator hose pick makes me yearn for a speedy death way less frequently when playing with exhaust-hanger O-rings... It's nice to have a handled tool you can pull on something with.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/17/11 4:02 p.m.

Also, dental picks. I think I got the last set from HF. When they're handy, they're really handy...

RossD
RossD SuperDork
8/17/11 4:05 p.m.

These are just useful and cheap, but most people know of them.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
8/17/11 4:07 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: The $10 blaster thread got me thinking. There are a metric crapload of awesome tools out there that a lot of folks just don't know about. Post your suggestions in here. I will start with this little sub $20 wonder Handheld deburring tools are cheap and easy to use and do a great job. Round holes, straight edges and ovals. Anything you can get the tip into can be made safer and more attractive. Most folks don't seem to know these exist and are amazed when they see how well they work. I can't imagine not having a few on hand at all times. Your suggestions?

I don't know if i've ever even seen one of these.... I must have one.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
8/17/11 4:22 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I don't know if i've ever even seen one of these.... I must have one.

Then my work here is done

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Reader
8/17/11 4:24 p.m.
ransom wrote: I haven't used it for its intended purpose yet, and I'm sure it's not the coolest thing that'll make this list, but for two bucks this HF radiator hose pick makes me yearn for a speedy death way less frequently when playing with exhaust-hanger O-rings... It's nice to have a handled tool you can pull on something with.

Aw, DUDE! That is awesome! I can't count the number of times I could have used that to get a radiator hose off! Gotta get me one...

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
8/17/11 4:44 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: Anything you can get the tip into can be made safer and more attractive.

I have nothing more to add at this moment.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/17/11 4:50 p.m.

Hemostats.

Good for a variety of uses.

oldtin
oldtin Dork
8/17/11 4:56 p.m.

Dental picks are a favorite too.

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
8/17/11 5:20 p.m.

Under the same heading as the de-burring tool ( I tend to chuck it up in the drill)

X2 on the quality/look of drilled holes.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
8/17/11 5:36 p.m.
ransom wrote: I haven't used it for its intended purpose yet, and I'm sure it's not the coolest thing that'll make this list, but for two bucks this HF radiator hose pick makes me yearn for a speedy death way less frequently when playing with exhaust-hanger O-rings... It's nice to have a handled tool you can pull on something with.

As mentioned in a previous thread, this tool is also useful for the "bitch-clip" on an E30 shifter assembly.

I picked up something at Lowes the other day that looks promising: one of those multi-bit screwdriver sets with a twist - the end with the bit holder is a LED flashlight. It'll need a bit extension to really useful for much, but the idea has potential to get you out of a jam. I think it was $6 and came with a clip of driver bits.

Dental pick sets are so cheap, buy multiples - because you'll eventually break and or misplace one of them.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/17/11 7:27 p.m.

You should see what that thing can do the the flesh of your hand! I recommend dulling the point a bit.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/17/11 7:29 p.m.

Oh, and one of these:

I use it for all kinds of stuff, including shoveling snow, swatting bugs, masking when spray painting, moving dead "presents" my cats leave, scooping smelly "presents" the dogs leave...

ThePhranc
ThePhranc New Reader
8/17/11 7:38 p.m.
Keith wrote: On a similar note.

What is this called? I need one to put the 323 manual rack into my mx-6. Do they come in different tappers?

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
8/17/11 7:40 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
ditchdigger wrote: Anything you can get the tip into can be made safer and more attractive.
I have nothing more to add at this moment.

I tell the ladies this any time I get the chance.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
8/17/11 7:46 p.m.
ThePhranc wrote: What is this called?

A reamer. NOT a ream-her, two different things!

fifty
fifty Reader
8/17/11 8:35 p.m.

Impact screwdriver, for removing stubborn or stripped screws. $8 at H-F

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/17/11 8:43 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: The $10 blaster thread got me thinking. There are a metric crapload of awesome tools out there that a lot of folks just don't know about. Post your suggestions in here. I will start with this little sub $20 wonder Handheld deburring tools are cheap and easy to use and do a great job. Round holes, straight edges and ovals. Anything you can get the tip into can be made safer and more attractive. Most folks don't seem to know these exist and are amazed when they see how well they work. I can't imagine not having a few on hand at all times. Your suggestions?

Where can I get one?

Taiden
Taiden HalfDork
8/17/11 8:55 p.m.

I am in love with this thread. Here is the $10 spot sand blaster I picked up today

Taiden wrote: No, you should not try to do an entire car with this kit. It's just not designed for it. But I will say that for doing spot rust repair (quarter panels, roof rack mounting points, rocker panels) this thing is AMAZING! Pair it with a good face shield and a decent respirator and I must say. This is the best $10 I've ever spent. Wire wheels and flap discs have a horrible time actually removing the deep rust. They can take care of the brown crap on the outside, but if you don't get it to bright shiny metal the rust always comes right back. A spot that would have taken me hours to get to the point of shiny metal now takes me about 1 minute. The only other tool I bought that was a better deal was my 1/4"x20tpi tap and handle I paid $3 for. Anyway, that's my semi-rant about this thing. Here's a photo and a link http://www.tractorsupply.com/sandblasting-tools-accessories/clarke-abrasive-spot-blasting-kit-3907853
Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/17/11 10:05 p.m.
ThePhranc wrote:
Keith wrote: On a similar note.
What is this called? I need one to put the 323 manual rack into my mx-6. Do they come in different tappers?

T-handle reamer. It's intended to make a round hole bigger while keeping it round. Or you can use it to round out a hole that's got that weird Wankel rotor shape that some drill bits make. Also good for self-defence. Quick, name a science fiction novel in which the T reamer gets a mention.

I bought an H-F impact screwdriver. The bit broke in half the first time I used it. I am not impressed.

oldtin
oldtin Dork
8/17/11 10:16 p.m.

Copper welding spoon - keeps the weld flat on the backside - piece of copper pipe and a hammer is all you need to make one. My fancy one has electrical tape wrapping for a handle.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
8/17/11 10:24 p.m.
nocones wrote: Where can I get one?

http://www.amazon.com/Allstar-Performance-ALL11036-Deburring-Tool/dp/B003BZR1FS/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1313637856&sr=8-18

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2ye1PqnTP9HxoMobLkiSMkhOv0Xfmz9MvFwgfKLs6ldPWzBabbRK5IaRtk3Zl9Mx