ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
10/7/21 10:58 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Aa1IlEqGnAU

What weighs 1750 pounds, makes 300 horsepower, and costs less than a new loaded minivan? The Cardinal Coupe from Fields Auto Works.

The styling might come from the ’60s, but the Ford EcoBoost powerplant is downright modern. Presented by CRC Industries.

Watch more videos

Opti
Opti Dork
10/7/21 11:06 a.m.

This seems very similar to a Consulier. Lightweight body with a pedestrian turbo 4. I like it

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
10/7/21 11:10 a.m.

I see they have a roadster that's even less expensive, but it's not clear from their website what powertrain is used.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
10/7/21 12:37 p.m.

I like the roadster but sure would love to know more details 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/7/21 12:50 p.m.

Dang, they are right down the street from me.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
10/7/21 1:11 p.m.

Are these "buyer provides engine" cars? Street legal? I like the Series 300. That with an EB would be gallons of fun for a weekend in the mountains or out on the track.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/7/21 2:19 p.m.

They are priced without drivetrain. It says that on the website. So you would be adding another 5-10K to the price easy. 

*Pricing for assembled rolling chassis w/o powertrain. **Demonstrated specifications utilizing design-intended powertrain.

twentyover
twentyover GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/7/21 5:46 p.m.

Like how they fiished the rear of the car- very Marcos/Alfa GTZ. Could be a little shorter- and bring down OAL of the car

The front end- not so much. I'd be heading back tot he drawing board

RustBeltSherpa
RustBeltSherpa New Reader
10/7/21 10:57 p.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

They give factory tours and test drives! Sounds like a perfect meetup for Central Ohio GRMers. Do the factory tour, go to 1787 Brewery down the road on Industrial Parkway afterwards.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/8/21 6:49 a.m.

Apparently they're trying to expand too... and have a number of positions open.  Check their Facebook page for details.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/8/21 7:45 a.m.

In reply to RustBeltSherpa :

Yes please.

Steve_Hoelscher
Steve_Hoelscher
10/8/21 10:26 a.m.

Hi Guys,

I'm Steve, the guy in the video.  (Some of you may remember me as one of the "Pro Drivers" at the GRM Challenge events, although I haven't been in the last 3 or 4 years.)   I'll be happy to answer questions here.   I want to thank JG for shooting the video at the Solo Nationals.   I decided somewhat last minute to take the development mule/test car and run it there just for fun. 

Yes, we do shop tours so if you're in the area and want to come by and visit please reach out to me.   The "contact" portal on our website goes directly to me.  fieldsautoworks.com    Or message via facebook. 

I should note that the car in the video is out development mule/test car.  It has 3 years of test miles on it.   We only went "public" with this car last April and the first customer cars are being delivered this month.   Yes, we are hiring as we have a number of customer cars to build and we need to complete the design work and start testing on the other two cars.  

Steve_Hoelscher
Steve_Hoelscher New Reader
10/8/21 10:34 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Powertrain on the S300 Roadster has yet to be finalized.   Current thinking is the Mazda MZR with a 5 or 6 speed manual and a Miata diff w/ Torsen for the front engine/rear drive version.  Weight would be about 1600 lbs and 200+ wheel HP so power to weight would be about 7 lbs/HP.    For the mid engine version  we're looking at either the Mazda 3 driveline (same MZR engine) or the Audi turbo 4.  

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/8/21 10:34 a.m.

So they took my Ecoboost Mustang and made it a whole lot smaller and lighter. 

Wow. I always wondered what would happen if I mated the Mustang with my NA Miata. 

Steve_Hoelscher
10/8/21 10:36 a.m.

In reply to RustBeltSherpa :

We would be happy to host a GRM'ers shop tour.  We could do pizza and beer right there at the shop one evening.   

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
10/8/21 11:19 a.m.

In reply to Steve_Hoelscher :

Thanks for posting up; I assumed the 300S roadster was going to be a FWD drivetrain plopped in the back but it's good to know that is the intent. Can't wait to see how it turn out. 

Steve_Hoelscher
10/8/21 12:31 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

There is another driveline option we are exploring.  Its a very interesting possibility and one I think would have great potential.   

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
10/8/21 10:13 p.m.

Hopefully supplied with the front uncut, the "Bugatti" grill does not work for it.
Kind of pretentious and not at all fit for the general shape.

Not that anyone ever listens to me, but I see one too common mistake already.
Model proliferation. This has been the death of many kit car companies as it stretches their resources too far. 
For those sneering from the sideline, I was at one time the US importer for Noble Motorsport so have some actual experience here.

I suggest they complete full development and market the Cardinal. 
When that is solid go to the 300 roadster.
If it still makes sense then the clearly Jaguar inspired Scioto which will benefit a lot from perfecting the other cars. At over $100K it has to be amazing out of the gate.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
10/9/21 7:11 a.m.

I feel like I saw this at Road Atlanta last spring. Anyway I remember being very impressed. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bwXYgl5sb2fQwKfM1vqOUYaaLvGEKLdstRQXsw5whan6Wh4WIssXviq7MDRzITtK